Effects recommendation for Randall RM50: GMajor or Boss GT 8

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt I will do the 4CM with this setup, just in/out in the loop of the Mod50. I use mostly time-based effects and even the wah didn't sound too bad in the loop. The Uni-vibe was a little iffy though. I don't use any of the amp models or stomp boxes really, so just a couple of cables in and out of the series loop for me.

"I play at home and only need delay, reverb and maybe some chorus. I also need a tuner. Which of these two units would you recommend me and why?"

Forgive me for stating the obvious , but if you are only after 3x effects
could you not just use pedals ?
a chorus, reverb, delay and a tuner pedal ?

apart from tap dancing a bit more ?

I'm running a boss dd3, and an ashton chorus in my rm100 series loop
and they sound awesome !

sir riff a lot said:

Good point... only question is whether or not getting good chorus, delay, reverb, and tuner pedals will end up costing more that the GT8 or G-Major?

--B

jarrett said:
I doubt I will do the 4CM with this setup, just in/out in the loop of the Mod50. I use mostly time-based effects and even the wah didn't sound too bad in the loop. The Uni-vibe was a little iffy though. I don't use any of the amp models or stomp boxes really, so just a couple of cables in and out of the series loop for me.

This worked great at the gig this weekend. I felt it was a better sound than I get going straight into the front of the amp. I setup a few patches that I regularly use and then setup a manual virtual pedal board configuration as well.

Once that is engaged, its equivalent to having a mute/tuner, an BD-2, a Delay, a Chorus, a Tremolo, an Octave and a Wah on a pedal board in front of you. And I can setup multiple iterations of this will different effects on each bank. This really opened the GT-8 up for me. To have the patches available from a typical multi effects unit AND to have virtual stomp boxes all in one at my disposal in a real time setting worked out great.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the GT-8 change the channels on my Mod50, I can scrap the Egnater Midi pedal as well.

That's great, glad you got it working.

Since this is a "what type of effects" thread, I just wanted to mention a unit I saw at NAMM last weekend. I got a real good run down from the guys at Digitech on the new GSP1101. This is real similar to the TC G-station, without the mother station sci-fi looking pedal board (you use your own midi board). It's going to sell for a little over $400. It has a "4 cable" type concept with programable effects prior to the input of your amp and then time based effects that go in your loop. Go check it out at Digitech, I will definately be looking into this one. It also lets you drop the overdrive effects and your amps pre-amp out of the signal path by then routing your signal into the amp models inside the unit and sending the modeled amp sounds straight into your power amp section. So if you just gotta have that acoustic clean patch or Vox AC15 model, you can do that too. All of this comes with a sales pitch of how important it was that the unit not have any tone suck. This looks like a real promising unit at a very affordable price. We'll see how it sounds when it drops huh?

I just cruised the website and flipped through the manual... the GSP1101 looks really sweet! My first thought was "it's a poor man's Axe-FX". Actually, it sounds like a modernized version of the Lexicon MPX-G2/R1 given that it was really designed for 4CM (heck, could be the same thing given that both Digitech and Lexicon are owned by Harman). It already has Lexicon reverbs built in...

Will be interesting to see how well it does on the "no tone suck" promise... one of the reasons I like the Lexicon so much is that if you have no effects (wah, OD, comp) configured in front of the amp, it will switch in a hard bypass to prevent unneccesary AD/DA conversion and signal routing. The GSP1101's signal path (towards the end of the manual) doesn't make it abundantly clear where the AD/DA conversion occurs.

I'm really curious to see if they'll introduce a dedicated controller to tap into all the potential (there's an Ethernet-type jack on the back reserved for future capabilities)... the old school Digitech gear didn't use true MIDI (rather some proprietary protocol) but it was cool because it allowed faster switching & 2-way communication between the board and rack unit over standard MIDI cables. Offer a controller with a couple expression pedals and a useful display... perfection!

All in all, I would be all over the GSP1101... I grew up on Digitech gear (GSP21, GSP2101, GSP2112, GSP2120, all the Johnson amps) and always liked their flexibility and ease of programmability (particularly on the later units).

--B

sir riff a lot said:
"I play at home and only need delay, reverb and maybe some chorus. I also need a tuner. Which of these two units would you recommend me and why?"

apart from tap dancing a bit more ?

I'm running a boss dd3, and an ashton chorus in my rm100 series loop
and they sound awesome !

And bduersch too I suppose...

Can't speak for him, but I initially wanted to go the pedal route. Several things weighed heavily against the pedal option for me :

1. Noise. Every mechanical interface is an opportunity for noise to seep in. So 3 pedals = 6 mechanical connections. Every inch of cable is an antenna just begging to pick up some EM interference.

2. Clutter. 3 pedals means three more wall warts and accompanying power cables or buying batteries in bulk. I'll go ahead and throw transportation in this section. I already 'have' to have a rack for power conditioning, the BBE, parametric EQs, and some day an M4 so I would rather get a unit to go in there vs having to tote around an additional item (pedal board).

3. Cost. By the time you buy three seperate pedals that have as high quality f/x as the G-Major, you're within spitting distance of the G-Major's price. In fact, most of the pedals I was looking at would have been more expensive (as a set) than the G-Major.

4. Flexibility. G-Major is all MIDI'ed up, the pedals not so much.

5. Bang for the buck. This should probably be 3b. G-Major has lots of f/x plus parametric EQ, compression, and a gate.

That's why I went with the G-Major.

I did spend quite a bit of time looking around for a rack unit with *only* rev, del, and chr, but couldn't find one. The closest was the G-sharp. I wish I had paid better attention in my DSP courses in college so I could make my own. I would have killed for a MIDI controlled rack box with only the big three and an assignable knob or two for each.

Thomas

so true, I've often wondered why someone doesnt make a multi effect
(rack or floor) with just three or four high quality effects in it specifically for use with a tube amp.
all multi fx's seem to have 50x average quality effects.

I would take quality over qty any time.

I looked at the boss me50 a couple of times, but no midi and u can only run it in front of the amp or in the loop, not both.

My wish list : Floormtd unit , midi , delay , reverb , chorus ,overdrive and maybe a wah/volume (and a tuner of course) and the ability to run loop and in front. simple format (knobs like a stompbox) and just a simple
save to patch/bank format.

I realise the gt8 does all this , but it also has a lot of bells and whistles I would not use, and I would like a simpler control and edit process.

I will now step off my podium :D

[/quote]

That's pretty much what the GT-8 does. The more time I spend with it, the more I realize how powerful of a tool it is and not that hard to program. I think most people see it as a an ME-50 with a couple more effects, but it's really a lot more than that, but it can be that if you want it to be. For $445 street price new/$300 used, it has incredible bang for the buck.

The GT-8 is really were it's at. If you only want to use a delay, reverb, chorus, overdrive, and maybe a wah/volume then all of those knobs are on the top of the GT-8. You never have to go into the deep editing which is really easy. Using MIDI w/ this unit is pretty easy since it only sends a few CC's and one PC per patch. If you find that you need to edit something a little more than the front knobs allow, just press that FX's button and tweak a little. I don't think the GT-8 is really hard to use, there is just a lot you can do w/ it. It's like the radio in your car. Sure you can have every station available if you want, but they give you a few buttons so you can get what you want quickly and easily.

Another thing I like about it is that if your amp were to die, you can plug that thing straight into the board and still get usable sounds for the gig. Nice bit of a redundancy that you don't generally get with rack mount effects units.

That's why I picked up a Crate Powerblock for $70 when they were on closeout... when combined with a FX unit/modeling device like the GT8, it is the most portable, cost-effective insurance policy for a non-functioning amp. ;)

--B

i am going to give the gt-8 ago with my RM50 head. Like jarret said, if your amps dies at a gig, plug the gt-8 in the mixer and you can finish the night.