Egnater M4 retubing - tube questions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrm4

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to experiment with different tube brands with my M4 today.
I'll have some JJ83,Mullard 12AT7,Tungsol12AX7,Sovtek12AX7,EH12AX7 etc.

I want to try Mullard 12AT7 in different positions.

Is there any rules are 12AT7 tubes allowed instead of 12AX7?
So can I put it for example first V1 or last without any damage to amp?
I have no effects loop.

P.S. Found best E-rect tube combination. First EH12AX7 and 2nd tube JJ eec 83S. Like this very much!

There are no "rules" for this particular amp. Typically you want your best, quietest tube in the driver positions in the head (input drive stage powersection driver tube) to get the best overall sound and performance. In the modules it won't matter. Play around with different tubes until you get something you like. I have used the 12at7 in a few of the modules and it provides a nice change in gain level and clarity.

I had a lot of tubes and experimented with them all a lot.
I liked EH12AX7 best in V1 and in last tube position. Well that's what the amp already has when you buy it new...

With modules I retubed them like this, works for me:

1. VOX: V1= JAN 5751 (NOS) V2=EH12AX7
2. SL2: V1=Mullard 12AT7 CV4024 (NOS) V2=Tungsol 12AX7
3. MHG: V1=JJ83EEC V2=JJ83EEC
4. ERECT: V1=EH12AX7 V2=JJ83EEC
5. EG3/4: V1=EH12AX7 V2=EH12AX7

Alright, time to fess up dudes. Which one of you guys sold me that Plexi mod on eBay a while back with the Chinese 12AX7 in V1 and the Mullard CV4004 in V2??????

Nice job man, that module sounds great!

I like Telefunken ECC83 mostly and I have a few old Mullards as well. For new tubes it's hard to beat the EH, but when brightening is called for I go for a JJ.

JAN 5751 are awsome tubes, I like to put them in V1 to tone down the high gain modules to reveal some different more subtle tones. Try one in V1 position in an XTC, it really reveals a much more verstile module than you might have expected.

Hi,

Do you know how to identify the 3 valves at the rear panel of the M4? Wich one is the input valve, wich one for FX-loop, and wich one for output stage?

I wish to experiment changing valves, but I need to know the function of each one.

BTW: I've found NOS ECC83 valves from TRIGON (UK), HALTRON (UK) and ULTRON (Germany). Have you ever heard about them?

Thanks,

Manuel

I've just googled the first question :oops: 8)

RM4_Signal_Path.jpg

Image taken from http://www.jaredcoberly.com/egnater/tech.htm

That makes me wonder: If not using the loops, is it worth to connect the output to the amp at the Pre-loop out, right after the Master Volume? (tube #3 is not used)

Cheers!

Wow, thanks for that pic. Clarifies what I was trying to figure out in this thread...

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=734