EL84's with THD Yellow Jackets

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
I'm getting pretty good results in my RM50 with this setup. The first time i tried it I lost all Bass response and it felt thin. Now I get a really juicy sound with my JF HW-103 and custom Top Boost mod. I'm dialing a fairly clean sound and setting the eq for boosted in the whole range. Then using a few Overdrive pedals with low gain settings i re-eq the thing. Great sounds for that classic Class A sound. I bet a Foglifter would help things here

Only thing is, I'm not noticing much of a volume drop. The Yellow jackets were advertised as cutting output to about 30% if I remember right. Not understanding the difference between perceived volume/volume/output etc....perhaps I'm missing something

sound good though, especially with the Top Boost. Not the Vybe so much. The EQ of that one is so much more full than the HW or Top Boost, it's tough to go back and forth

withmittens said:
Only thing is, I'm not noticing much of a volume drop. The Yellow jackets were advertised as cutting output to about 30% if I remember right. Not understanding the difference between perceived volume/volume/output etc....perhaps I'm missing something

Wattage != Loudness
30% off of a 50 Watt tube amp is still freaking hellish loud (unlike what ampbuilders with powerscaling would like you to believe)

every 10-dB increase in acoustic loudness--from 80 dB to 90 dB, or 90 dB to 100 dB--requires ten times as much electrical power in watts.
This article might clear things up a little more:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0907/

alright, thanks for that info.

here's a new weird thing. I found an old set of SED 6L6 I had from another amp. I guess that old amp wore them unevenly so i have to bias one at 14 to get the other in around 33-34 mV

this setup allows me to crank the master for a lot of tube drive (what seems to be anyway, ald less volume). is this because they are so mismatched that one tube is barely pulling voltage? should I pull these tubes out?

thx again

Pull out

a little difference in bias between tubes isn't so bad, but at half the voltage there's definitely something wrong with it

you could also try a power break like Dr Z AirBrake lite or a speaker with lower efficiency

Latest posts