emg 18 volt mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus1

Reaction score
its crap, loss of gain more high end presence, incase anyone was wondering :roll: turned an emg 81 into a seymour jb

Really? I changed from a Duncan Jb and Jazz combo to an EMG 81/85 18 volt in C standard and I thought it was much better for the gain. The clean got worse though.

maximus1 said:
its crap, loss of gain more high end presence, incase anyone was wondering :roll: turned an emg 81 into a seymour jb

I couldn't disagree with your opinion more.

Pros:
Usable clean tones
More dynamics
less compression

And using the 81 was your first mistake.

throw out the icepick and put an 89/60A combo at 18v.

I am a long time SD JB/Jazz user, and when I got my ESP/LTD M1000 Deluxe, I immediately changed out the dual 81's for the SD Dave Mustaine active set (modeled after a JB/Jazz set), and I can tell you they are leaps and bounds over EMG.

I did try and 85 in it before I did the swap, and it was a waste of time.

Does anyone want to buy 2 81's and a 85 from me? lol

johnodge said:
I am a long time SD JB/Jazz user, and when I got my ESP/LTD M1000 Deluxe, I immediately changed out the dual 81's for the SD Dave Mustaine active set (modeled after a JB/Jazz set), and I can tell you they are leaps and bounds over EMG.

I feel like the blackouts have unusably high output.

kbause said:
johnodge said:

Ya, I heard that too... the Mustaine's are not the Blackouts though. But you could possibly attenuate the output internally with a rotary knob... just a thought...

it wasn 't too bad with the 85 but no way with the 81, does anyone know how a bill lawrence compares to the emgs? i used a dimebucker before is that the same as an xl?

maximus1 said:
it wasn 't too bad with the 85 but no way with the 81, does anyone know how a bill lawrence compares to the emgs? i used a dimebucker before is that the same as an xl?

Bill Lawrence p/u's are great, but make sure you get them from the real Bill Lawrence (ie Bill and Becky p/u's). Cheap and wound by the man himself (he used to make p/u's for SRV and Hendrix)
http://www.billlawrence.com/

Bill Lawrence have a very tight, high output, percussive tone with quite a lot of high end

81- shitty clean
60a-great clean

81-great dirty, great, bright dirty gritty disortion
60a-ok distortion, a little bassy, but usuable

very different pickups, both sound great for different stuff, so all the versatility i need.

18v mod+

Im a pickup guy..love em...
but I went to emgs and tried the DG20 set, the Lukather set and then a set of single coils made to be like Fender 1959 single coils (forgot the model).
I think emg missed the point..I WANT to hear my hands. I want to have the pickup add its tone..not like EQ..thats in-authentic...but like a good transformer adds a musical sound to what your doing (a pickup is a wrapped group of wire..just like an OT, right?) So...I find emg's miss the point. And what funny is, lots of guys here GET the need for upgrading OTs..but why not the same for your pickups? If an Ot makes such a diff...try a great set of passive pickups,my man. But back to emgs:
Sure they are low noise. And high output. But honestly, those factors didnt stop Page or Hendrix or Clapton with passives.
And so far I am really getting tired of the similar sound that emgs seem to produce.
is it the pickups, themselves to blame for that? Its like 10,000 guys who all sound like Nickleback. (Hinder, Finger eleven,Paramore etc)
Maybe its just that the emgs are being used by some really non-creative people. Im not sure.
But Slash and others are doing fine playing Heavy with passives. And I guess thats where I stand on it. Just my 2 cents. Maybe this made some people think about more than they would have.

maximus1 said:

Have to disagree with you on this one, bro. I thought the 18V made my 60-81 set much more usable.
At 9V, they're great for the downtuned heavy chugging stuff (so if that's what's you're after, don't change it to the 18V).
the thing is at 9V, there's more compression and it's tighter because of that. I personally don't like compression, and the EMGs are actually rated for 23V, so going to 18 is actually openning it up closer to their full power.
I dig the 18v more because the pickups sound more open, more definition to the notes. For solos they scream more with harmonics popping out a lot more.
The clean sound at 9v to me is almost unusable, too sterile and compressed, that's the major reason for me to stick with the 18v as well. More definition especially on the clean.
But I'm not disagreeing with you on this one, just what you're going after. For that tight metal drop tuning maybe the 9v is more tighter, especially in the bass.
I'm stoked now to hear those Dave Mustaine actives :roll: more GAS! ****.

yeah i knw what your e sayin, emg's are nt really associated with clean tones so i guess modding would be an option . just seemed to defeat the purpose for me. the livewire have way more gain than the emg's and i think i will stay away from blackouts from what i've heard, , the live wire's soundded good in the clips i've heard.

after loading my Ibanez with 85/81 combo, after less than a week I switched the 81 to the neck and the 85 to the bridge

Even in my mahogany guitar at 9v the 81 seemed to lack body
Don't wanna even know how it will fare at 18v

I have run my EMGs for years at 18volts and I like the fact that they dont crap out on you
It also gives much extended battery life as even when both batteries are down to 4.5 volts apiece you still have 9V and sound just fine

I did recently switch to Duncan Blackouts and find them less compressed and better for clean tones

Sometimes 81s can be way too bright in certain guitars and it is wise to look at the 85 for the bridge position.
Also if you are in a 2 guitar band and both players use EMGs, it is better if one player switches to 85s at the bridge- enables both guitaists to cut through better.

I always loved the old 58 model which you can still get
Supposed to sound like a P90 - but a great sound for rock
Also works well in the neck position

I tend to use a lot more passives these days
The Bare Knuckle Miracle Man pickup is a nice alternative to an EMG81

GtrGeorge! said:
Im a pickup guy..love em...
but I went to emgs and tried the DG20 set, the Lukather set and then a set of single coils made to be like Fender 1959 single coils (forgot the model).
I think emg missed the point..I WANT to hear my hands. I want to have the pickup add its tone..not like EQ..thats in-authentic...but like a good transformer adds a musical sound to what your doing (a pickup is a wrapped group of wire..just like an OT, right?) So...I find emg's miss the point. And what funny is, lots of guys here GET the need for upgrading OTs..but why not the same for your pickups? If an Ot makes such a diff...try a great set of passive pickups,my man. But back to emgs:
Sure they are low noise. And high output. But honestly, those factors didnt stop Page or Hendrix or Clapton with passives.
And so far I am really getting tired of the similar sound that emgs seem to produce.
is it the pickups, themselves to blame for that? Its like 10,000 guys who all sound like Nickleback. (Hinder, Finger eleven,Paramore etc)
Maybe its just that the emgs are being used by some really non-creative people. Im not sure.
But Slash and others are doing fine playing Heavy with passives. And I guess thats where I stand on it. Just my 2 cents. Maybe this made some people think about more than they would have.
+1000 on this. I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with EMG's. When I want the HEAVY sound its right for the EMG's. Cant do Blues worth a crap though. So I just have 2 guitars when we play. One for the heavy and the Other for pretty much everything else. Has a Duncan Screamin Demon in it and it sounds GREAT. I know 2 guitars isnt a option for alot of people but its been working for me so far. But yes I too get sick of the STERILE that EMG's put out(but just once in a while) :wink:

I agree with the OP.......I hated the 18 volt mod as well......I like the 81 the way it is...that said......it is wood/guitar sensitive just like any other pickup.....Blackouts sound good in certain guitars/setups as well....you just have to learn how to use them...

kbause said:
johnodge said:

I have a blackout on my Alexi. I like it. Then I do ride the volume knob.

that people want to modify emgs by giving them 18v...in an effirt to get past their INTENDED sound (that being a dynamically compressed, somewhat sterile sound...kinda hi-fi for lack of a better term).
I wish emg would focus some efforts to go back to that middle ground...somewhere between the typical hi-impedance passive pickups we all know (with their nasty hums, buzzes and other limitations)..and their crazy high gain designs.
I see Duncan is already offering a P-90 looking pickuo that has 2 coils..of uneven size and you can put one in, or not. I hear very well of this design. But I personally havent tried it.
The old Fender Elite strats has a dummy coil..and that seemed to work very well for some people. But fender in their INFINITE WISDOM only did that for about one year (1985, I think)..365 days is not enough to know if a product will take hold,imho.
But a dummy coil might be THE answer for the best trade-off for traditional tones, but without the compression and sterilty issues.
Any thoughts??????????????????????/