Eminence Lynch Super V Speakers Versus Vintage 30's ???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crankyrayhanky said:
I have Marshall 4x12 with v30s and also a mesa oversized 2x12 with v30s
I read these speakers get criticized sometimes, but they sound good to me, and there's a long history of lots of pros using them

I may sell 2 or 4 of them to get ZW EVs, just for variety sake ...so if you're looking for v30s, we can work out Arizona deal

all are 16ohms

We can meet in Sedona!

I got married in Sedona...Cathedral Rock specifically! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah and I have the MTS version Celestion Neodymiums and they're very nice....And weigh a lot less than other speakers if you move your gear...They are similar to a V30 but more complex....I actually prefer the V30 but that's just me...I run a 412 of both...:)

I usually go with the new technology and a lot of the time that is good. When it comes to speakers, it is hard to beat a good old Vintage 30. It just has the balls and gets it done without blowing up. I have listened to other speakers and there are a lot that I like, but I always go back to the Vintage 30 because it just has that perfect balance of mids and lows. It just feels comfortable. For years I used the Eminence Legend 125s and the GB50s in a 4x12 and those were pretty good, but I still think the Vintage 30s have more of what I like to hear. It may be a completely unscientific assessment, but they just sound right. They are fun to play and they sound better with age.
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Celestion is a big part of the Marshall sound. If you are into that Marshall sound then its all about the V30 or the Greenbacks.

Shinozoku said:
EDIT: Well hell! It appears that the LB 2x12 is discontinued... That's lame :( Well, only thing I can do is ask folks who own it..What are the dimensions of this cab? Better yet, what are the INTERIOR dimensions? I need to compare it to what I have from the Framus Cobra before I build my dream cab :p

I have a 2 x 12. I got it last fall. Are you sure that they are no longer available? Did you check to see if they have any of the discontinued ones left at the Randall warehouse? What I concluded was that they are going to possibly re-introduce it next year after the Lynch line is re-vamped, cosmetically, but the Lynch head is also supposed to be hard wired with the Judge, Grail and Scary (non-MTS) channels. And, I was told that GEORGE is NO LONGER using the Super V speakers.

I got the cab last fall, and posted a thread ranting about how I wanted it in gold trim but they never made any with gold trim, just silver. I solved that problem though, I replaced the silver piping with Randall gold piping and had the logo professional re-painted gold. The 2 x 12 cab came loaded with GREENBACKS and I was told the reason was because Lynch no longer uses the SuperV and Randall no longer sells cabs with SuperVs as a option. The dealer I bought my cab from gave me credit for the Greenbacks and I loaded it with Celestion G12 Vintage Neodymiums. With the presence and density both set at about 2:00, it sounds pretty awesome--HUGE Marshally tone with my SL+ module.

Hmmm... Curse George and his Rig ADD! Hopefully he comes out with some 50 watt Celestion Greenbacks though :D I'd really dig that, and would use them in the 2x12 I wanna build for recording.

Well, I'll tell you my story... lol....

I replaced the Genz Benz 212 G-Flex speakers (which are VERY good) with Hellatone 60L's (to match the impedance of the Randall 212 Mic Eliminator).

I replaced the Super V in my RM50LB combo with the Genz Benz speaker. It has more lows than the Super V in the combo.

Both the combo and my G-Flex has Weber Beam Blockers.

I found that the Hellatone 60L's and the Genz Benz V30 clones are much better suited for 'me', especially for rounding out the tone out of the RM50LB combo. The combo and partially open back design is very 'thin' sounding, and the V30 clone helps with bringing some low end to the table.

If they're going to hardwire those three, what are you going to do for a clean channel? I guess George doesn't play clean.

Julia said:
If they're going to hardwire those three, what are you going to do for a clean channel? I guess George doesn't play clean.
I wondered the same thing, posted that same comment on some other thread. I'm glad I have the MTS Lynch head. When I get the Judge module, I'll load it it and the Scary modules and keep the Grail as a back up. For blues/cleans, I'm thinking about having my Brahma modded into a clean/blues module. It's already a great blues module, just doesn't clean up quite enough for good cleans.

The Brahma may be a candidate for the gain stage removal mod that was talked about on the Modules forum recently. I've actually wanted to get a Brahma for that very reason, to try that mod and maybe add another switch for tone stack changes.

Caine said:
Julia said:
I wondered the same thing, posted that same comment on some other thread. I'm glad I have the MTS Lynch head. When I get the Judge module, I'll load it it and the Scary modules and keep the Grail as a back up. For blues/cleans, I'm thinking about having my Brahma modded into a clean/blues module. It's already a great blues module, just doesn't clean up quite enough for good cleans.

Volume knob guys, volume knob!!

m0jo said:
Julia said:

True but some modules don't clean up so well, Scary & apparently the Brahma. The SL+ doesn't clean up particularly well either. The Grail with a 12AU7 cleans up ok for me. The Plexi also cleaned up nice with a 12AU7. Although if your after that "cleanish" tone then maybe it works itself out.

Hamner1 said:
m0jo said:
Julia said:

True but some modules don't clean up so well, Scary & apparently the Brahma. The SL+ doesn't clean up particularly well either. The Grail with a 12AU7 cleans up ok for me. The Plexi also cleaned up nice with a 12AU7. Although if your after that "cleanish" tone then maybe it works itself out.
True, some work better than others, but it's also a matter of setup.

Lynch kicks his amps in the jingleberries with a lot of volume, barely any gain.
So my point is: volume knobage will work much better if you set your amp up for it.
But yeah of course some accomodate it much better ;)

I've noticed my Mash-all+ cleans up pretty well in the lower gain modes.
In Jose or JCM800 mode you have a great choice of crunch to full-open heavyness.

I have something new coming though that should work pretty well for crunch to almost clean. (tweedish)

Hamner1 said:
m0jo said:
Julia said:

I find the SL+ and the Brahma do clean up, 'but' it really depends on the pickups. A mid gain pickup, like my Peavey Wolfgangs 'do' clean up quite well, as well as my high output SD JB equiped guitars. BUT I do not use alot of 'gain' on my modules as well, so, I don't really have to drop a lower gain tube in V1 of the modules...

I can get alot of mileage out of the Brahma and the Grail over any of the stock modules, just by using the guitars volume knob.

But 'cleanish' is subjective...

Check this out: http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Products/Signature-Series-Products/George-Lynch.html
Looks like the Super V tone is going in the package.

Daryl said:
Check this out: http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Products/Signature-Series-Products/George-Lynch.html
Wow those are ugly :|

The old ones were pretty nice but might not suit everybodies taste (with the green etc) but this... just not balanced, looks cheapish.
Sorry to any Randall designer reading this, this looks like a clash of different wishes (one higher up want's this, the other that, the result is a compromise that doesn't work either way..)

m0jo said:
Daryl said:

The old ones were pretty nice but might not suit everybodies taste (with the green etc) but this... just not balanced, looks cheapish.
Sorry to any Randall designer reading this, this looks like a clash of different wishes (one higher up want's this, the other that, the result is a compromise that doesn't work either way..)

It looks like Helen Keller designed those amps... lol

m0jo said:
Daryl said:

I totally agree with you, Mojo. That is exactly what I thought when I saw it. I thought, "Man, that thing looks pretty cheap and generic."
I wonder if George designed the cosmetics? I hope not. This amp looks boring as hell and gives off the vibe of a much cheaper amp like a B-52 or a Crate.
small_lb103.jpg

No Scary channel? They have incorporated what is a discontinued module as a channel on this amp, so what will be the fate of the Scary mod?

Although, that head is the "LB103" but if you look down further on that page in the above link, there are still modular amps being shown, including the "RM100LB," so will there be both modular and non-modular heads?

I like the look...and check out the backview, green glow- take off the front grill and you're in business

Of course, not for me- no modules

crankyrayhanky said:
I like the look...and check out the backview, green glow- take off the front grill and you're in business

Of course, not for me- no modules
Yeah, I guess if you take off the front grill it would look a little better. I really think that grill design is half-assed. They should have done a plexiglass face with the Lynch logo laser etched into it. That would have been cool...