Eminence VS Celestion

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunter

Reaction score
Ok so im trying to find a good speaker for heavy agressive metal, Like we didnt already assume that LOL. But Im kinda bored with the V30s but Ill need them to pair nice with other speakers.

top 4x12 will be V30 loaded,
bottom cab im looking for tight agression, maybe some good grit, I like the sound of the eminence WIZARD, PRIVATE JACK, and GOVERNOR.

Any thoughts on these, anyone veering away from celestion find something that works with celestions at the same time?

I don't have a recommendation but :twisted: for rocking the full stack! \m/

I am seriously thinking about loading my cab up with G12K-100's or just buying a new 2X12 loaded with them from Avatar. Better, tighter low end then the 75's without the harshness on the highs and tons of headroom so they will stay clear for downtuned riffing. The V30's just have that mid-range honk that I don't like that much plus I want to try something different. I don't have too much experience with Eminence speakers but I do currently have the Lynch speakers in my cab and they are OK.

I just loaded my first pair of Eminence speakers about a month ago and totally impressed. I bought the Tonkerlites (neos) because I was so blown away by the Celestion Neo Classics in my Avatar cab, but couldn't afford another pair ($225 each) for the second cab. The Tonkers are only about $80 each. I've run stock V30's and G1275's, Avatar's treated V30s (both the Hellatone 60s & 60Ls), and treated G12H30s. I like the Tonkers better than all of them. They have very little beamy characteristics; I run beam-blockers on the neos but none with the Tonkers. They are very transparent speakers (unlike other Eminence I've played that tend to color the tone a bit). And they weigh 4lbs each. Unreal.

I'm posting a clip of my new modded Ultra XL recorded thru the Celestions, but would be glad to record/post a clip of the Tonkers if you want.

dboy5150 said:
I'm posting a clip of my new modded Ultra XL recorded thru the Celestions, but would be glad to record/post a clip of the Tonkers if you want.

YES PLEASE.

Also what is so popular with the neos, how do they stack up against the other PRO speakers. Playing Metal with them is like............?

Thanks dboy5150

I turned Dboy5150 onto the Neos after my experience with them in my MTS 2x12 that has them. Great speaker for the heavy stuff we play and they are tight on the bottom and pleasing in the mids and highs. I just sold my V30's out of my second MTS 2x12 in favor for some WGS CL80's. Just ran 8 hours of radio through them Sunday and they have broken in nicely, but I have yet to crank them to gig levels. Less lows, but tight bottom with a smoother top end. Looking forward to hearing them cranked now.

Neos are very responsive, articulate and loud (102db). Next to traditional speakers, they are brighter and have a very smooth freq response curve (e.g. not scooped). I'd always been curious because they weigh almost nothing, so when i saw an Avatar 2x12 on ebay loaded with neos, I posted here and Jaded responded with a very positive review, so I bid and won the cab for really cheap. No one was bidding, probably because like me, not many people know much about neos. I picked up a pair of Eminence version of neos for my second cab and they are a great compliment...with an added bonus that each of my 2x12 cabs now weigh about 30lbs.

Now if someone would just come up with neo transformers and drop the weight of an RM100 to 30lbs (ha)!

I would also like to know about the Emi's

I was thinking of going Wizard and private jack in my Avatar 212.
From what I have read the Wiz is a cool speaker.BUT really goes well mixed with another speaker type.

Anyone have experience mixing in a 212 cab?

I have the Lynch box cab with Lynch's custom speakers in there. REALLY DEEP sounding and AWESOME for metal!! :twisted:

Mailman1971 said:
I have the Lynch box cab with Lynch's custom speakers in there. REALLY DEEP sounding and AWESOME for metal!! :twisted:

+1 I have the Lynch speakers in a Randall 212 and I think it sounds better than a Marshall 412 loaded with v30

Mailman1971 said:

I *really* want one of those :D

dboy5150 said:
Now if someone would just come up with neo transformers and drop the weight of an RM100 to 30lbs (ha)!

Not to hijack the tread but transformers don't have magnets :wink: They do create an artificial magnetic field but their weight is based on power handling.

Neo Speakers are nice though. I only tried them once and they were different.

I decided to go with Eminence. I like Celestions, but i think almost all of them are too midrange powerful. And I wanted to add some color to my sound. So eminence worked out for me.

dragonguitarist said:
I decided to go with Eminence. I like Celestions, but i think almost all of them are too midrange powerful. And I wanted to add some color to my sound. So eminence worked out for me.

I now use the Eminence Texas Heats with a Fender MetalHead cab I found used for like $250!! It has the Celestion G12T's or G12K-100's, I can't remember which.The sound together is perfection! Eminence with Celestion is the way to go!