Epiphone Les Paul, Tube Screamer, and 800

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rictus_grin

Reaction score
So I just got into the Synergy world and I’m trying to get a nice chunky metal tone with a lot of percussive attack, but also some fatness. Think Scott Ian, Voivod, Metallica, Trouble, Celtic Frost, early Mastodon, etc. The last three especially have a nice full sound on low register single note riffs, but plenty of attack when they palm mute.

My signal chain is an Epiphone with a stock pickup into a TS mini into the 800, sometimes with an EQ in the loop, into a Two Notes Cab M. I’m like 90% of the way to the sound I want, but it seems like the attack/mute part is a little lacking unless my picking hand is positioned just in the right spot.

I can get the attack I’m looking for on other preamps using this chain. Not sure if I need to try adding a power amp, changing pickups, or just working on my technique more. Any tips?

Thanks

It is the sum of the parts concept. You have a great signal chain, but I would look at changing from the stock Epiphone pickups. That is probably the weakest link keeping you from getting all the way there with better attack and clarity

I’ve tried both a Dimarzio Super Distortion and 36th Anniversary PAF in the bridge, but neither gelled with my setup at the time. I still have them, maybe I’ll give them another shot.

Update: got a Fryette Power Station. This was definitely the key piece to getting the sound I was looking for. I’m actually really liking the sound of my AMT SS-20 through the Syn-1’s loop. The sag control and extra tube really add something to the sound of that pedal.

Personally I hate stock circuit TS pedals. Love my Origin Halcyon with the adapt and mod switch. Also huge fan of various quality clean boosts up front.