ESP LTD GL 200MT- anyone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kranked4Christ

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the George Lynch LTD GL 200- the newest M1 Tiger copy? I am interested in one, but a little hesitant to buy because of some of the specs: Basswood body, Floyd Rose Special, ESP tuners & finally, the ESP LH-150 pickup. I know I could upgrade everything with the exception of course of the basswood body, but would it be worth it? Is it going to cost more in the end to get it to a Charvel San Dimas(new issue) than to just save up for the San Dimas? Thanks so much for your replies......

Is it cheaper than $600? YOu can pick up the GL-600MT with a real Floyd, SD pickup and pucker Maple body with a case for that in the used market.

If it was me, I'd never consider buying the guitar.

I love ol' George...don't get me wrong.

I've learned that having an axe just because it looks cool is the wrong reason to buy. And because my favorite guitar player uses it (or use to use it) is no reason to run out and splurge.

If you think it's a limited run or gonna be the next 59 Les Paul, go for it! (hide it under the bed for 50 years)
Choose a guitar because it fits you and your style...or the music you're playing currently.
Buy the best you can afford.
My 3 babies are:

1982 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1991 PRS Custom 24
1993 Jackson Soloist USA

All worth having.

The GL-600MT is a great looking and sounding guitar though..if it fits your style :D

The FR Special, IIRC is practcally the same as an OFR, except for maybe the trem block or something like that. I know I've heard it and the FR 2000 are actually somewhat respected amongst OFR junkies.

ESP is coming out with their own locking tuners from what I've heard, and I think they're probably pretty good.

The pickups are really kinda garbage.

Satch, Vai, Petrucci, and Gilbert all use basswood in their guitars :p Mind you it's much NICER basswood...

So the consensus here is basically what I thought- save up and get a real deal M1 Tiger or the LTD GL 600 (which is a M1 with a Kamikaze body). Thanks for the replies and welcome any input from someone with first-hand knowledge- thanks so much guys!!!

I like George, but this LTD GL200-MT just doesn't cut it for me. I played it. I didn't find the neck all that comfortable. It may have been that day too.

FWIW I did play an LTD EC401 that was pretty sweet and pretty darn reasonable.

I also have an Epiphone LP Special AIMM (limited edition w/ set neck) that has Gibby P90s that just scream for a mere $370. Very plain Jane.

Also a store locally has a Gibby Les Paul Jr. with a P90 new for $700 or $800. I played it while I was waiting for some work to be done on my Ovation (the preamp was stuck and the battery was dead) -- let the store deal with that. The axe was real sweet. Simple. Played real nice. Nothing flashy. Plain mahogany w/ a satin cherry finish all over. 24" scale for easy playing.

Don't write off P90s as old folks pickups. If I run them through Mr. Scary or my 5150 I can get Dimebag squeals with it. It's just that upper fret access kinda sucks on single cutaways. P90s tend to be a little noisy though. Nice and proper when played clean, but at their best when it gets dirty.

If you want an ESP and a player check the LTD Viper series. However I think my favorite ESP is the Alexi. Bellevue American Music in Bellevue WA has one I think for around $900 new. It's the LTD Alexi-600LE in Black w/pink stripes. It has a sweet satin neck.

Do a lot of research and playing of different axes. Don't be swayed by something that just looks cool to you. Go by what sounds good. You can always "hot rod" something afterward with some decals.

Y'all have some great feedback. The paint job is something I could get done on another guitar. I am just gonna save for the real deal or get a good guitar for the total value like a Charvel San Dimas or So Cal. Thanks again and any views on the M1 tiger vs San Dimas would be great.

Just for the heck of it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_frXnVxvsI

George doesn't always play ESP...and still plays pretty good.

At age 16, I decided that the Strat style body was "it" for me.

My opinion was...
Les Pauls were too big, heavy and not contoured to fit the body like a Strat. (hence I deemed them old fashioned/obsolete)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes friends, I dissed LP style guitars for 17 years before I saw the light.

What a FOOL I've been. I no longer own any Strats...just my Jackson Soloist USA.

Julia said quote:
"You can always "hot rod" something afterward with some decals."

I bought a beater guitar recently with 2 decals on it. One was a biker decal (Lethal Clown) which I removed. The other is a diamond plate simulation. Shiny chrome...kinda cool looking and I get comments from friends all the time. It's a shame it's only an Ibanez Gio (used $100)
But honestly, it plays great! Even the stock pickups were decent enough to play a gig. (and it sounded fine)

newibanez.jpg

I love mine but I admit I ugraded it. Put an OFR in and changed all the hardware to black. Dropped in a BKP War Pig and its one of my favorite guitars to play. Plays awesome and has a wicked paint job.

SDC10409.jpg

I played the LTD in the original post and thought it was garbage. I would pay $300 for the most for it....actually I wouldn't even want it. I also played the ESP version and although it was a much better guitar, there are a lot of others I'd rather spend $3000 on.

I've played (not that I'm that good..haha) an Ibanez RG550 for years...actually own 3, but recently picked up a used Peavey Wolfgang (the USA made one) with a stop tail piece and am really impressed with it. It's a totally different guitar than the Ibanez but I love it. I'm thinking of getting a Peavey HP special when I can. They seem to be a well put together guitar for the money. I've tried strats and Les Pauls but neither really ever works for me. My buddy owns an Ibanez Petrucci and it's pretty sweet. Godin guitars are great value too.