EV 12L question...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon

Reaction score
Not sure if his is the best place on the forum for this question, but I wanted to see if there was a solid recommendation for a speaker with similar character to the crazy heavy EV 12L for use in a 1x12 box?

I want a best of both worlds option... Clear clean with headroom that doesn't fight full on distortion (re - not like the old JBL cones that were only great for cleans if I recall?). Oh and that can hang alone with 100 watts...

Do any of the neodymium speakers hold up? That would be nice for the back, but sometimes you gotta go for the bigger magnet.

You have the Weber Michigan (but it seems they're short on some component for it at present), the Weber Neo-Mag bass-cone, the California (with cloth surround and/ or LHDC).

Going into the slightly more timbred section of yourse you have Fane cast-frames. There are some attempts made at cloning these, which are good in their own right but don't quite have that abysmal and woody tone nor the control of the cone.

Other neo options could be the Eminence Tonker lite, though I personally never got the hang of Eminence speakers.

You know I want to believe in emminence since they're well priced and domestic, but I've yet to encounter one that didn't fart low woof and break up too early... But then my only encounters have been the ones shipped from fender on the insanely loud twin I have and my old memory of my M80 amp :)

I thought the super v was cool, but it starts to fart a little at raising the volume to a good practice with drummer level in my lynch combo.

Thanks for the ideas! I appreciate the pointers, and will look around.

You are looking for the Eminence Delta Lite. It's a neo magnet, 200w speaker. Super clean like the 12L, but very light due to the magnet. I replaced all of my 12Ls with Delta Lights. For one rig, I put a single Delta lite in an Eggie 2x12 (with the other hole left open like a port), and it sounded HUGE. And it was the lightest 2x12 imaginable.

Sounds like a very good solid option - thanks, and it says a lot that you went from the 12l to the delta lites for your own rig.

Now for some smart shopping...

Oregon said:
Sounds like a very good solid option - thanks, and it says a lot that you went from the 12l to the delta lites for your own rig.

Now for some smart shopping...
I have some extras that I'm selling in a thread on The Gear Page. I'm not telling you this to spam you here. I just want to disclose my sale here, so it doesn't look like I'm shilling on this site for my sale thread on TGP.

I just had some extras, and they are what I'm selling. I still dig the speaker.

(snarky comment warning)
C'mon! Pay your gigging dues! Load up a pair of 4x12s with them, and top it with an Ampeg V4! Your body and your vehicle's suspension will LOVE it!
(somewhere some of us had to have grimaced and then chuckled :lol: )

Nice! Heh - I've hauled too much gear to gigs being a guitar and keyboard guy (who had to take the **** 88 key weighted hammer action board, along with my tube gtr gear)... So I'm not too embarrassed at a young 44 to say Nyah to that ;)

Why do we all have learn how to use the PA system the hard way? Lol