Fan Mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Hello fellow Randallteers

Has anyone heard of, or done a fan mod on rm100 combo, as im sure this is going to cause problems, playing live and recording. Any advice would be great.

Cheers peeps!

This part looks easy enough to replace. The wires conecting it are exposed. My fan had a **** fit yesterday for about 5 minutes. It was making some nasty grinding noises then stopped. Does anyone know if the fan is only for extending the tube life of is it a vital part of the whole unit?

I got so fed up with noise of the fan i've taken the amp back to the shop and exchanged it for a boogie. I've had nothing but hassle with the Randall since the day I bought it. You send them an e mail and they ignore it, I thought Marshall were bad but at least they replied. Yeah it was a great amp and i'll miss it but you sit in a room for a few hours with the fan running and you start developing a nervous twitch. WHY did they put one in?

Tom said:
I got so fed up with noise of the fan i've taken the amp back to the shop and exchanged it for a boogie. I've had nothing but hassle with the Randall since the day I bought it. You send them an e mail and they ignore it, I thought Marshall were bad but at least they replied. Yeah it was a great amp and i'll miss it but you sit in a room for a few hours with the fan running and you start developing a nervous twitch. WHY did they put one in?

ALL the Mesa Mark series amps have fans in them as well.....

Keeps things cooler. tight spaces and heat dont get along very well.

I didn't realize there was a fan in my RM100M so that's a good thing. The footswitch is what bugs me.

Don't mean to blow anyones horn or spam anything here, but if you're looking for truely silent fans, do check out the Austrian manufacturer Noctua computer fans. Aerodynamically optimised, which other computerfans are not, and featuring a proprietory bearing design they don't make any actual noise themselves. All you may here is the actual airflow, not the fan.

I dont have my RM100 to look at yet but I couldnt imagine it would be too difficult to change out the fan. Its probably a standard 12volt PC fan. I've had several crap out in PC power supplies and instead of replacing the PSU I just replaced the fan. In fact, I about to have to do it again.

maybe you could give it some bling... only $6.99 lol
11-998-121-05.jpg

11-998-121-04.jpg

that is.. if a PC case fan will fit. It might be a smaller heatsink or chipset size fan... newegg has everything from 30mm to 140mm size

I can now confirm that the fan in the Rm100 and probably every other RM amp is an 12volt 80mm case fan like you have inside your PC. you can get them from Newegg for about $1.99. You can get them will Red, White or Blue LEDs in case the tube glow isnt enough for you :)

Good to know.

Keep in mind all pc fans arent created equal. Theres bearing differences, noise differences and CFM differences. Usually you can find out about them on PC mod sites related to cooling or visit web stores that cater to that crowd as well.

yeah.. I should've read the model# off the stock fan to see if I can find the specs.. It looked like a pretty basic fan and it wasnt exactly quiet. I guess it depends on the music you play.. If you have your amp cranked to 11 and rock out heavy metal then I guess you wouldnt mind an 80 cfm fan that sounds like a hair dryer since you wouldnt be able to hear it anyway :D

brandon9271 said:
yeah.. I should've read the model# off the stock fan to see if I can find the specs.. It looked like a pretty basic fan and it wasnt exactly quiet. I guess it depends on the music you play.. If you have your amp cranked to 11 and rock out heavy metal then I guess you wouldnt mind an 80 cfm fan that sounds like a hair dryer since you wouldnt be able to hear it anyway :D

I used to do the overclocking thing with my PC's. I had a PC that was louder then a WHO concert in the 70's. I imagined if I laid it on its side it would take off like a Harrier Jet.