Good Recto Module?Opinions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alowerdeep

Reaction score
Im wanting a good recto module....Im just torn..I know the Salvation stuff is awesome,but it isnt one I would use all the time and I havent heard enough about the JF,Gigmods.Had a Voodoo for a brief time and it was ok,but didnt wow me.....and I know Sacred Groove is doing one now..and all of the clips I have heard of his stuff sound awesome....anyone have any clips/opinions they want to share?Thanks....

Ive got a module off to Rob at JF for the Erect. He is a touring musician and says his mod sound pretty **** close to his actual mesa rectoverb head. So if you want authentic rectifier tone......plus he has a fast turn around time and is a great guy to work with. He can also tweak the module to whatever else you think might benefit your guitar, pickups, cabs, whatever... to best suit your style and gear.

FYI His mark X is amazing so I cant imagine any of his mods being bad

LunatiBSW said:
Ive got a module off to Rob at JF for the Erect. He is a touring musician and says his mod sound pretty **** close to his actual mesa rectoverb head. So if you want authentic rectifier tone......plus he has a fast turn around time and is a great guy to work with. He can also tweak the module to whatever else you think might benefit your guitar, pickups, cabs, whatever... to best suit your style and gear.

FYI His mark X is amazing so I cant imagine any of his mods being bad
I thought the clip of your JF Mark X was amazing. I definitly want one of those sometime in the future. :twisted:

The new Sacred Groove Rectifier is nothing short of amazing.

Trust me.

8)

Mike P said:

Trust me.

8)

All of his stuff Ive heard has been really good..Im anxiously awaiting the clip......

alowerdeep said:
Mike P said:

Trust me.

8)

All of his stuff Ive heard has been really good..Im anxiously awaiting the clip......

I'll have SG Fisch and Rectifier clips up sometime in early May.

Mike P said:
alowerdeep said:
Mike P said:

Trust me.

8)

I'll have SG Fisch and Rectifier clips up sometime in early May.

How does it compare to the Voodoo that you had or any others you may have played?

alowerdeep said:
How does it compare to the Voodoo that you had or any others you may have played?

I don't have it in my possession at this point in time.

I went to SG with the idea of creating an absolutely authentic Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier circa 1993. I didn't want the "buzzy" Rectifier sound of the late 90's/early 2000's. I wanted the thick, warm, fat sound of the original DR.

Just as we did with the MK22 and the Fisch, I requested specifics and SG worked to accommodate me. He's continually sent tracks as progress is made and minute but important details are changed and further features implemented. Surprisingly, this module has come together rather quickly and the test clips I've received have been very, very strong. I'm completely stoked about it!

As for the Voodoo Amps Rectifier, it is a great module but too heavy for me personally. I couldn't get it to clean up, even with 5751 tube in the V1. It had a great sound but it was more like a "modified" Rectifier than a true Rectifier. If you're looking for a monster high gain, crushing module that doesn't get muddy, the Voodoo Amps is absolutely killer.

Hope that helps.

Mike P said:
alowerdeep said:

I don't have it in my possession at this point in time.

I went to SG with the idea of creating an absolutely authentic Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier circa 1993. I didn't want the "buzzy" Rectifier sound of the late 90's/early 2000's. I wanted the thick, warm, fat sound of the original DR.

Just as we did with the MK22 and the Fisch, I requested specifics and SG worked to accommodate me. He's continually sent tracks as progress is made and minute but important details are changed and further features implemented. Surprisingly, this module has come together rather quickly and the test clips I've received have been very, very strong. I'm completely stoked about it!

As for the Voodoo Amps Rectifier, it is a great module but too heavy for me personally. I couldn't get it to clean up, even with 5751 tube in the V1. It had a great sound but it was more like a "modified" Rectifier than a true Rectifier. If you're looking for a monster high gain, crushing module that doesn't get muddy, the Voodoo Amps is absolutely killer.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like exactly what I would be after..That was always an issue I had with Rectos,the overly fuzzy OD..always liked the thick tone though....anxiously awaiting the return of the soundclip....

alowerdeep said:
Im wanting a good recto module....Im just torn..I know the Salvation stuff is awesome,but it isnt one I would use all the time and I havent heard enough about the JF,Gigmods.Had a Voodoo for a brief time and it was ok,but didnt wow me.....and I know Sacred Groove is doing one now..and all of the clips I have heard of his stuff sound awesome....anyone have any clips/opinions they want to share?Thanks....
I have recently started shipping my Erect mod, so they should be landing soon. I have one in my personal module collection, which says something! :wink:

I still like my GigModsMark Mesa. I still sounds **** good. Never had a chance to compare to many of the other Mesa clones, but it is very usable.
GtrGeorge
there is a good vid of it on youtube

Get an Erect from Jaded Faith.

You WILL NOT be dissapointed.

Best recto tone I have heard. Period, bar none (And I have owned 2 pre 500 recto's and a very soild sounding ractifier....along with about 20 other rectifiers).

I will be reviewing my Erect when I get time, but, bottom line....it is AWESOME.

I have MUCH respect for the modders around here, but Rob is a genius.

I have a Salvation Deadplate and an older JF Recto (from 2009 according the writing on the bottom of it - bought from a forum member rather than direct)

The Deadplate sounds quite a lot like the Rect-o-verb head I used to own when I switch on the Blast switch & the tight to the middle position.

The JF actually sounds more like Shane Emburey's bass circa 1989 than a Rectifier. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it's a nasty (in a good way), gritty, dirty, brutal sound & quite unique. Certainly an improvement on the stock Recto (which didn't even sound close to a Rectifier to my ears) & different to every other module I have. Note that this isn't the new JF Erect Rob just posted about - looking at the guts of it it looks more like he just added tight & mid voice switches to improve the stock module rather than completely revoiced it to get closer to a rectifier.

FWIW, I have 2 JF VHT modules - one from 2009 (again, bought from a forum member) & one he built me at the end of last year. They are quite different (though they both sound great) - Rob has clearly learned a lot & started to make far more elaborate mods than his earlier work. A new JF Rect is on my list along with a MarkX in the future...

antag said:
FWIW, I have 2 JF VHT modules - one from 2009 (again, bought from a forum member) & one he built me at the end of last year. They are quite different (though they both sound great) - Rob has clearly learned a lot & started to make far more elaborate mods than his earlier work. A new JF Rect is on my list along with a MarkX in the future...

This is actually an excellent post and extremely accurate. The work I am offering today is greatly improved for several reasons.

Obviously over time you hone a craft and get better at it. I spent 2010 managing a high end music store and also did all the repair and maintenance work for the shop on the side. You learn a lot working as a tech and the available resources are much better than what floats around the internet. Nothing is better than calling the company up and having them send you the real deal. Or getting the actual guy that designed an amp on the phone to help you understand the how and why behind things. My MTS mods benefited greatly from that experience and I now work on many amps outside of the MTS world locally from loyal customers. It is fun and helps keeps new inspiration in the pipeline at all times.

Up until late 2010, much of my work was all ala carte'. It was completely based on the requests of a particular customer and the budget they wanted to work within. Many (not all) of my customers came to me early on because the work was affordable and the turnaround was excellent. There is an upside and a downside to this. You are able to offer things to everyone within every budget. However, the dark side to it is as modules get flipped a budget job can become the perception of your entire body of work. It's an interesting balance to maintain!

I am a bit more standardized these days and I will be launching a new website soon. I always support my products and I offer very affordable upgrades to older mods to get them up to my current standards. I take a lot of pride in my work and the best rewards are the communications I get from customers when they finally get their mod. I spend a lot of time chatting with everyone I do work for and that feedback directly impacts the quality of the product. Things improve daily here and a lot of that is because of each of you.

Rob

Rob is a real class act, I know..... I had asked about 20 emails worth of ?'s my first mod he did. He was totally cool and helpful every step up the way.... His work reflects a great wealth of knowledge and dedication.
Im a big fan of his work :D

Yeah,I have sen thim several emails regarding JF module sI have owned and he was very co-operative.....I want a Recto module that sounds like a Recto..Most of them I have heard,including the stock recto module,all sound great,but dont have the same type OD/Thickness.....

LunatiBSW said:
Rob is a real class act, I know..... I had asked about 20 emails worth of ?'s my first mod he did. He was totally cool and helpful every step up the way.... His work reflects a great wealth of knowledge and dedication.
Im a big fan of his work :D

I couldn't have said this any better!! I had the exact same experience with Rob..

Well, I'd be lying if I didn't say I've emailed Rob once or twice... :) How many emails do you get a day Rob? It's gotta be 30+....

Way cool that you are so accessible and cool to your customers...I guess that explains all the repeat biz! Oh yeah, the great mods don't hurt either...

I think Rob and I have similar ears where tone is concerned. I relate to his work better then any of the other modders I've worked with. They've all done "quality work" and were great people to deal with, but I never got quite was I was after out of anyone else. The only Salvation module that really worked for me was the Mashall. And even that I sent to Rob who improved the tone and brought the noise level WAY down. He made a custom Tweed for me that is the best clean MTS module I've heard. He also made my custom Avada Kedavra hi gain module that I couldn't be happier with. To sum up...Rob is the man.
Jace