Got a couple of busted modules - any hints/tips?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourguitarhero

Reaction score
So, I just picked up an RM50 and a job lot of modules from my local guitar shop.

Two of the modules have problems and was wondering if you guys had any tips on where to start looking.

Ultra: Weird gated sound, maybe not as much distortion as it should have? (Subjective - never played one before)

Plexi: No overdrive at all, gain knob causes a big kind of ground hum through the middle third of its sweep. Amount of pre-amp gain is the same on bottom third and top third of gain control.

I'm planning on selling some of these modules I got anyway - can modules with problems like that be modded? As in, could I sell them for half the normal price for someone looking for a donor module?

I would have them sent to a modder (I'd recommend Anthony from Salvation Mods, since you're in the EU) if you want to get them repaired/modded. Otherwise, if you want to sell them for use as donor mods, then doing so at half-price is probably fair.

Well, the Top Boost one is screwing up a bit now.
In the RM50 it screws up the channel switching. The light on it never goes off?
Only this module, none of the others.

I got these modules new on a clearance blow out - the shop threw them in with the RM50 combo I bought. Worth contacting Randall customer service in the UK? What is the warranty on modules?

I'd be surprised if you got any sort of warranty response from Randall, seeing as how they dropped the line. I don't remember hearing any positive tales of their warranty service even when they were still active with the line. I'd strongly recommend sending it to a modder. I'm not sure what their repair costs are, but I don't imagine they'd be anywhere near what having the module actually modded would cost. Then again, I'd strongly recommend just having them fully modded anyways ;)

Two words. Donor. Modules.

Just do it. You'll be happy you did.

Not really got any money to get modules modded... though I am considering selling off my Dual Recto half stack as it's just too impractical. Got an RM20 at home and this for practise (Along with an extension cab maybe) and I could be good to go.

Anyway, spoke to the UK Randall distributor and they seemed cool about warranty repair, but I've got to go back in to the shop and sort it out through them.

Out of interest, who are the EU/UK modders? Salvation is the only one I know of.

Do you have any extra preamp tubes laying around? I had similar issues in a couple of modules I've received. Swapped the preamp tubes, good as new. I know it's not always the case, but whenever there is a loss in gain, or degradation to the signal I usually check the preamp tubes first.

Yeah, I tried some tubes out of a module that was working fine and no change.
I looked over the boards etc and couldn't see anything physically wrong with them, but I have almost 0 electronics knowledge.

Taking them down to the shop to get repaired today - guess that's the benefit of buying new.

I had a module doing what you described from your top boost, all that it needed was some contact cleaner on the connection on the end, and seat it in 100% with the screws nice, and tight. I haven't had a problem with it since then.

I spray a bit of deoxit on the connectors of every module I get now. It makes sure that the connectors in the amp stay nice, and clean.

All working great and got my module bag all stocked up again.

Impressed with the Top Boost module - works great in my RM20 with the EL84s and greenback

Rocking the Plexi and SL+ in the RM50 with a pair of =C= EL34s I dropped in and biased up.
They've voiced very similarly, s mix well as two channels.