Got my EV Trilogy!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlok

Reaction score
As excited as I was when I got my 59RR, I dare to say this one is now my current favorite (at least for now..). Still love the RR and it is all Marshall and does it in spades. But I've always been partial to my Peaveys and this has everything I always loved about the 5150 combo I have access to and my old Ultra Plus head. Plus WAY more!!

It has everything from dark super heavy to bright and open transparency. Crushing lows, searing highs, and everything pushed or scooped in between. But the really amazing part is that everything (I really mean everything) that comes out of this module is soooooo defined. Setting it as hard and heavy as it goes, you still hear every note played as clear as day. Chords ring completely clear and true. Haven't really found anything bad about it yet.

Some observations... I find that on the Rhythm side, the gain is useable and great sounding for the whole range. On the Lead side, the amount of gain doesn't change much turning the knob. Huge boost in gain and sustain. And the gain knob seems to do more thickening of the tone almost like the saturation trim pot on my Ultra did but without losing any note definition. Very cool. The mid sweep is a cool feature, doesn't change the amount of mids, just kinda re-voices it. Switches make big differences and make it very versatile. More difference at higher volumes than bedroom levels but the changes are noticeable.

Settings I found best for me (bedroom):
RM100, Master at 3, presence and density at 3:00 (old board that needs to be updated), Randall 2x12 with V30's at 8ohms and Carvin 2x12 with Eminence OEMs at 16ohms. (Randall is more prominent and Carvin adds bigger lows.)
Module:
Pre - 9
Low - 7-8
Mid - 5
High - 8
Post - 2-3
Sweep - 4
Rhythm/Lead - Rhythm
Tight - Down (loosest)
I,II,III - Down (III)
Voice - Down (scooped)

Mattfig is gonna have a clip that'll sound way better than me.. So that's it..
Again I'll say thanks to mfred for the module, and Rob for building it!!

Dear Mattfig,

Please proceed with your video and post it to youtube soon.. as in by tomorrow morning.. along with the plexi/tweed video.

Regards,

MTS' users globally.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Dear Mattfig,

Please proceed with your video and post it to youtube soon.. as in by tomorrow morning.. along with the plexi/tweed video.

Regards,

MTS' users globally.

+1

I have been so happy with my JF Brahma, JF Scary (SLO100), and SG Fisch that I have not had any gas for a while now.

I have a feeling that the JF RR could replicate my Brahma with more options but I still think I could gig for a long time with two JF Brahma's (one set to lower gain and the other on kill) and a boost.

I wasn't in love with the 5150 I had but this mod sounds like a winner. I did like the 5150III I played at a store. **** the madness!

The III setting seems like a bit more gain or maybe a "tighter" gain (Don't know how to explain it..). And it's the most open and clear sounding of the three. I really like it.

warlok said:
The III setting seems like a bit more gain or maybe a "tighter" gain (Don't know how to explain it..). And it's the most open and clear sounding of the three. I really like it.
Check the bottom of the module for a key to all the features with a brief explanation for each setting. Don't feel bad if you missed it, MANY customers do!

Here is what you have in each setting in a nutshell:

I - Darker, High Gain
II - Brighter, Less Gain than I
III - Brighter still with even more gain

Glad to hear you guys have been loving these and I am working like mad to get them out the door. It really is a special mod. Enjoy!

I just got mine I like it so far havent really dialed it in to my
Specs yet. (been busy upcoming show) but I can tell you it
Has everything I'm looking for in a high gainer. Shout out to
Jaded faith this might be the be all end all of high gain mods.
Rob hit a home run.

Jaded Faith said:
Check the bottom of the module for a key to all the features with a brief explanation for each setting. Don't feel bad if you missed it, MANY customers do!
I saw it, but it hasn't been out of my RM100 since I got it to see what it said.. It's found its permanent home. :mrgreen:

Mine should be here next week. Man O Man this talk has me all hyped up...... :twisted: I love me some high-gain brutality.

I just go the email...my Trilogy is ready! Headed over to Rob's to pick it up after work...I have a feeling this will be the best high gain mod ever.

JayDA said:
I just go the email...my Trilogy is ready! Headed over to Rob's to pick it up after work...I have a feeling this will be the best high gain mod ever.
You dirty rat. How dare you live so close that you can just swing by & pick up your orders. :p

Oh well my custom Judge mod should be here next week (hopefully on or before Wed). That day off means the rig will be cranked. :D :twisted:
72812_460262227321530_1873038406_n.jpg

8) :twisted: :D :twisted:

Modded Judge looks sick...congrats.

I like the base tones of the module, did you go for minor enhancements or complete overhaul?

GTO side is minor enhancements warmth/clarity/base mod otherwise it should be the base Judge tone on Mode1.
I didn't like Mode2 on the GTO so I had Rob come up with some switches that would sound like the Kerry King JCM800 Beast.

Here is the video that sold me on the idea. I had to listen to it again to get jacked up for this thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0gPKfZgvgo

Hamner1 said:
You dirty rat. How dare you live so close that you can just swing by & pick up your orders. :p

Ha...tell me about it, I've been trying to get over there for awhile. It was nice to check out the workshop, and chat with Rob for awhile. He's a good dude, with a really nice spread...and so many amps it should be illegal. I have to go back and grab my XMG on Tuesday, it's being upgraded to the XMG+. In the meantime...I have a few new toys to play with:

246553_460990830582003_383899174957836_1895630_10908076_n.jpg

Very nice. The more I see the Trilogy the more I want one. Not that I need it right now, but maybe a RM1250 isn't such a bad idea. :lol:

Hamner1 said:
Very nice. The more I see the Trilogy the more I want one. Not that I need it right now, but maybe a RM1250 isn't such a bad idea. :lol:

I don't actually play my RM1250 that much, mostly at night at low volumes...like um...now :D . But it does make for nice module storage. I really like my RM100 better, I guess I just like EL34s.

As far as the Trilogy...do it! I'm not sure I've played anything that tops this as far as high gain goes, it's pretty ridiculous.

I'm interested in whether or not that EV trilogy could be made to be more like a straight up EVHIII. I recently heard someone cranking the clean channel to get some crunch and is sounded great (like the JF XTC can do), then the rythm channel, and that balls out lead channel. Really just the clean and rythm channel might be the goods..