Has anyone ditched the mic eliminator on their Randall 4x12

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultron

Reaction score
I have a bunch of 8 ohm speakers that I want to use in my Randall cab (which is full of 16ohm G12H100s) and I'd rather have everything run 8ohm mono (like my lynchbox cab).

Has anyone yanked out their mic eliminator plate and replaced it with a single mono jack? Is it worth keeping?

OR, is there a way for me to keep the eliminator and swap 4 8ohm speakers and run it 8ohm mono?

Trying to avoid having to sell off all of my 8 ohm speakers.... :(

Surely you can just rewire the outputs and leave the mic eliminator where it is? Put the speakers in two sets of series, and set the two sets in parallel. I don't see why you'd have to ditch the rest of it...

Slashpepper said:
Surely you can just rewire the outputs and leave the mic eliminator where it is? Put the speakers in two sets of series, and set the two sets in parallel. I don't see why you'd have to ditch the rest of it...

you're saying just bypass the mic eliminator board altogether? I'd like to leverage it if possible, not sure if the circuitry has preference to 16ohms.

Wondering if that's the reason why the Lynchbox 4x12 doesn't come with the mic eliminator. The SuperV speakers only come in 8ohm.

I have a ME in an Egnater 2x12 cabinet. I don't have it right here in front of me, but does the presence of the ME prevent you from wiring it just like Slashpepper said: two pairs of 8-ohm speakers, each pair wired with the speakers in series (=16 ohms each pair), with the pairs wired in parallel (=8 ohms total)?

HughJasol said:
I have a ME in an Egnater 2x12 cabinet. I don't have it right here in front of me, but does the presence of the ME prevent you from wiring it just like Slashpepper said: two pairs of 8-ohm speakers, each pair wired with the speakers in series (=16 ohms each pair), with the pairs wired in parallel (=8 ohms total)?

I think I can do that, but what setting am I setting the Randall's impedance switch to: 16ohm mono?

Yes, you'd set it to 16 Ohm Mono but it would actually be 8 Ohm. I don't think this would effect the mic eliminator electronics but can't guarantee it.

I've been trying to find that out too without much luck, I e-mailed Randall and pm'd Bruce Egnater but they haven't got back to me yet, although it wasn't that long ago. Randall have always got back to me before, they just take their sweet time...

Whatever the circuit it is definitely doesn't seem to have any impedance between the inputs and the speaker jacks. So it must be in parallel to the main speaker throughput. That would make sense as there's no driver or heatsinks to absorb any of the power going through to the speakers. If I had a signal generator I'd test to see what difference the loads make to the circuit, but I don't have one. Any volunteers have the necessary?

If you can find a way to wire it temperarily it may be easier to test it and see what happens... Depends how bored you are!

Slashpepper said:
I've been trying to find that out too without much luck, I e-mailed Randall and pm'd Bruce Egnater but they haven't got back to me yet, although it wasn't that long ago. Randall have always got back to me before, they just take their sweet time...

Whatever the circuit it is definitely doesn't seem to have any impedance between the inputs and the speaker jacks. So it must be in parallel to the main speaker throughput. That would make sense as there's no driver or heatsinks to absorb any of the power going through to the speakers. If I had a signal generator I'd test to see what difference the loads make to the circuit, but I don't have one. Any volunteers have the necessary?

If you can find a way to wire it temperarily it may be easier to test it and see what happens... Depends how bored you are!

Cool....maybe Bruce or Randall can pop in and comment.

Lol, almost on cue! Thanks Bruce :-D

Where else can you get that kind of input outside the MTS Forum? Awesome.

I like my mic eliminator. It's definitely decent enough for live use. I know you can get better tones with a nice quality mic, but it's nice to have.