Help choosing modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultim8dude

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums and I'm also planning on getting a Randall MTS
RM50. When I get it I will obviously need some modules, I had a few in
mind (Blackface, Plexi, SL+, JTM), but I only want to get 2. I want one
clean, and one that's very versatile and can play anything from Floyd to
Sabbath.

Some of my favorite bands include:

GNR
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Beatles
Eric Clapton
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Coheed and Cambria
Metallica
Iron Maiden
and more

So, what two modules would you guys recommend? I also have a POD XT if that changes anything.

Thanks for any help guys!

Welcome!

If you're deadset on only having 2, then I would highly suggest you get a couple of modules with the idea of modding them out with switches to get a wide array of tones- as well as overall higher quality.

But to start off with some stock mods, and you want to have 2, go with the idea of buying used and keep flipping them at vitually no cost, that way you can try lots of tones.

clean module: Blackface by a longshot...try to get one that is NOT a silverface unless you want to do a modification to it- the blackstripe ones are pretty good out of the box. KH1 is a decent tone as well, very simialr to a BFace, but hard to find used...but it's worth the new full price

Tweed is also a good option, it doesn't get as clean, but it's clean enough and delivers great blues dirt.

The 2nd mod is tricky with your varied interests...never played a Brahma, but according to trusted sources here that would be a good option with an OD pedal for lots of tones. Newer SL+ with the 800 switch is cool high gain mod.

Hopefully you're not anti- OD pedal, because these mods and the tones you seek would be great with a decent OD

no way you stick with 2!

Thanks man. I guess if I can get em used for somewhere between 100-
150 each I can squeeze in 3.

3 is a good number- that way one can be in the mod shop, or put back on the market for flipping

If you have patience you should be able to find some mods from 100-135

go to live.com put in Randall mts and you'll get a discount on eBay- today it's 8%, sometimes up to 14%

right here patrol the classifieds, mods always available, good people in my experience

based on what youve listed i'd say blackface for cleans and sl+ for your distortion. It has a WIDE gain range.

in agreement I like the Kh1 better for the clean but the SL+ is the winner
for the Marshall based tones or a modded plexi

Agreed with everyone else...

Blackface for cleans and SL+ for all around plexi tones. Tweed gets some interesting classic rock tones when you crank up the gain and can clean up too (also mod'able).

Latest posts