Help I think my Randall hates other amps!!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collecter

Reaction score
Ok so I have a MTS Half stack that I play with.I have been trying for a couple years to add to my sound so occasionally I will get another head and cab and try to run both of them. My problem is that when I slave out to the input jacks of other amps, they tend to blow up.Am I doing something wrong here? I run a guitar chord of good quality from my slave out on the randall to the input section on the front of these other amps. And usually within minutes they are blown. So far its been a meas boogie mark IV, a crate blue voodoo, a Laney,and last night a brand new Marshall 50 watt tube head.

The front input is for guitar level signals only and the pre-amp out from the Randall is probably waaaay too hot.

The slave out is designed to run into a power amp....i.e. something like the FX return if you're using another amp.

Why would you keep trying it on other amps after you blew the first one??? I personally do not know how to hook it up, but I am pretty sure your way is wrong sir. You would need at least two cables I'm sure, like you would hook something through an FX loop probably.

Oh wow so how would I hook it up correctly through another amp?I want the randall to run through another head on the other side of the room.

If you want to run both at the same time, get a good ABY switcher like the Radial switchbone http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=radial+switchbone&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10232415224127652969&sa=X&ei=Y4KGTejtGcK1tweG3LjaBA&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAg# or for a cheaper alternative the Radial Bigshot ABY. I used to use teh BigShot ABY to run a 5150 and Randall V2 together through my Randall cab (set on stereo of course) and it was perfect; sounded great!

A power amp in, or effects loop return. You may just be better off getting just a power amp honestly.

All I am really trying to do is just slave it into another amp really.I want the randall to be on both sides of the room.I could do this by using the effects loop as opposed to using the slave out? Right?So if I run throught the effects loop on another amp this will do what I want it to do?

collecter said:
All I am really trying to do is just slave it into another amp really.I want the randall to be on both sides of the room.I could do this by using the effects loop as opposed to using the slave out? Right?So if I run throught the effects loop on another amp this will do what I want it to do?

Slave out of the Randall into FX return of 2nd amp. BTW, what is your latest second amp?

SacredGroove said:
collecter said:

Slave out of the Randall into FX return of 2nd amp. BTW, what is your latest second amp?

+1 ... Wow, for once I was gonna suggest the same thing...Of course, I learned it from Scott... :)

Sweet I will try that when it gets back from the shop.The latest one is the new Marshall MV Series.Its their cheap tube amp.

do you want a stereo setup, i.e. use a stereo effect to drive each amp? OR, do you just want two speakers cabs spaced across the room?

If it's the latter... you just run a speaker cable form the Randall to the other cab... set output impedance accordingly. Are both cabs the same impedance?

eedude said:
do you want a stereo setup, i.e. use a stereo effect to drive each amp? OR, do you just want two speakers cabs spaced across the room?

If it's the latter... you just run a speaker cable form the Randall to the other cab... set output impedance accordingly. Are both cabs the same impedance?

Well I kind of want the stereo but a true stereo.I have had the amp in broken full stack mode and it seems that it lacks the oomf.I have had 2 halfstacks running and it sounds great.I wish I had the money to buy another MTS setup but the money just isn't there.So my alternative is to run another seperate head and use the Randall tone to achieve the sound I want.

Dude from the sounds of it, you don't want to slave but run 2 heads at once. Is that correct? 2 half stacks, not 2 cabs from one amp head? If it is, just get a small looper that handles switching. You can run either or both amps at once, some switchers will even allow you to switch channels either via MIDI or TRS 1/4" jacks, dependant on the amp. Check out the RJM range of gear. Probably the Y-Not is what you are after. That way you won't blow any more amps!!! :shock:

http://www.rjmmusic.com/ynot.php