Help - I wanna mod my mids in my mods!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoo

Reaction score
I have seen all sorts of comments regarding the C3 cap to modify my bottom end but I was wondering is there a cap or resister or anything I can do to adjust my mids. I like the sound I am getting on my SL+ but I wish I could scoop the mids a little more or have more control over the mids like I can on my Ultra.

Thanks, you guys have helped me a ton in the little time I have spent on the Forum.

You should be able to do it w/o any problems. As to which specific caps/resistors to mess with, I don't have a clue.

I mainly posted to compliment you on your tongue twister of a subject line.

Thomas

PS - try this : http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1427&highlight=tone+stack. I don't know if it is the type of mod you are looking for, but it looks to be a good starting point.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:50 pm Post subject: Help - I wanna mod my mids in my mods!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen all sorts of comments regarding the C3 cap to modify my bottom end but I was wondering is there a cap or resister or anything I can do to adjust my mids. I like the sound I am getting on my SL+ but I wish I could scoop the mids a little more or have more control over the mids like I can on my Ultra.

According to the schematic section here on the forum the difference in those two module tone stack are C14 (SL+ 470pF, Ultra 100pF) and the treble pot VR4 (SL+ 250k, Ultra 500k).

For the mids you could also play with R31 value. Putting a 75k in place of the 33k and replacing c14 for a 75pF should get you close to what you are looking for. But you wont have the same response for sure. Try it, and play with those values a little bit and see what you come up with. It will be fun for sure.

hey voodoo....
did you try any of those mid mods?? I am considering the same procedure for my SL+.

I bought some resistors...just to change R31..the resistor on the far right side(if you are looking at the front of the module)...just a little chicken to start the soldering iron up.
Any possiblity of damage???
(PS: I know how to solder..its just wether the circuit can withstand the changes in resitors).
-George

Not going to hurt the circuit by changing values in the tone stack. Experiment with different values and find something you like.

I use a real cheap pen type iron - it works great. only have done c3 so far but that's cuz we need more info about other stuff.

Jaded Faith said:
I agree. So what kind of soldering irons are you guys using....ie: wattage, tip, etc?

I like using a 30W iron for stuff like this. It allows just enough heat to get in, complete the soldering, and get out within a few seconds. No over heating or lifting of the pads. I also like to use high silver content flux core rosin solder, because it seems to flow better and make better joints for electronics with less cold joints.

Its also worth getting a desoldering iron. Sucks up all the solder and allows easy removal of parts while leaving a nice clean surface.