Help me choose the right modules/ suggestions...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvester1199

Reaction score
so im lookign at buying a randall rm50 head and ive been researching modules

i need a good clean module that will get me a nice metallica kind of clean sound , simillar to a roland jc-120 minus the chorus

i want a lead sound that will do everything from puppets to current tallica tones

are the stock modules capable of this?

i found some really nice sounding modules on the Salvation website

the Twinface* and Markus* modules sund great on the demos but i have no idea how that works, do i have to buy specific modules and send them out to be modded...and im in canada.

thanks for any help or guidance you can give me in advance :)

The options in the modded world are endless...For stockers, Grail is a nice recto tone, UltraXL is a fave for 5150-ish tones...Clean, KH-1, and Blackface will give you a nice clean...Scary or SL+ for Marshall....And Plexi too...

As for mods, the Jaded Faith MarkX will nail the Metallica tones you desire and then some....And I have a great answer for the cleans but can't tell you that just yet :wink: Just a few weeks to wait....

All Salvo stuff is good too as are Sacred Groove's and all the other modders...They each have their own unique take on things and many people tend to stick with the one or two they are most comfortable with

I am going to second my Mark X for the Metallica stuff, probably quite a few more votes around these parts for that as well. :lol:

I have a pending solution to your Clean need as well.....PM for details. :wink:

Stock module that will be in the vein of what you need.... UltraXL

Others to consider....KH-3 (can get a bit nasal) or Grail (I love these for Recto...they sound like the live version of Metallica 'Black Album' tone)

Cheapest and quickest way to get a modded Mark module..... Pete (Gigmods) if he's still doing mods or Rob (Jaded Faith)

I have the former and will soon have the latter to compare.

Hang out in the classifieds and one will come up at some point also :)

I've also had a MarkUS and would like to try again at some point but didn't feel it was as easy to dial in as either of the aforementioned and went after a slightly different version of the Mark Tone.

Another option to consider is the Scorch by Jeff Hilligan...I don't think it tries to nail Puppets but it has a killer Mesa/Marshall crossover voicing that is really heavy sounding....I loved the sound of that with a JB or similar hot-rodded PAF humbucker.

ok for you guys to have an idea of what gear i will be running through this thing my stuff is as follows:

esp/ltd kh-603
schecter c-1 plus, trans-black w/ emg 81/60 @ 18v, sperzels, tonepros
epiphone les paul studios, emg 81/85 @ 18v, tonepros and sperzels

pedalboard:
dunlop kh-95 crybaby wah, korg pitchblack +, ibanez af2 airplane flanger, coffin blood drive, way huge green rhino, mij boss ce-2 chorus, bbe supa-charger, mxr smart gate, t.c. electronics flashback delay/looper, mxr kfk 10 band eq

it changes from week to week lol

from all the demo's ive watched the salvation markus mod still sounds liek the perfect dirty moduel for me... try to convince me otherwise ;)

Sounds like the KH modules would be ideal for you....or the Randall clean,Ultra XL...they are a much cheaper,but just as good alternative..I would personally stay away from the stock grail and stock recto....The stock recto sounds good,just not like a recto as much and the stock grail is just horrible in my opinion...I know alot of guys on here like it and compare it to a recto,I just dont hear it.....but tone is subjective..and you cannot go wrong with the Salvation modules btw....There are tons of clips on youtube,even on this site....I would check them out,let your ear decide....

alowerdeep said:
Sounds like the KH modules would be ideal for you....or the Randall clean,Ultra XL...they are a much cheaper,but just as good alternative..I would personally stay away from the stock grail and stock recto....The stock recto sounds good,just not like a recto as much and the stock grail is just horrible in my opinion...I know alot of guys on here like it and compare it to a recto,I just dont hear it.....but tone is subjective..and you cannot go wrong with the Salvation modules btw....There are tons of clips on youtube,even on this site....I would check them out,let your ear decide....
i pretty much already have, the master o fpuppets clip with the markus module sounds perfect to my ears

Harvester1199 said:
unfortunately im no longer employed so now i cant even afford to put modules in the head i just purchased lol
any rich dudes have some stock modules they wanna donate?

FML!

Mojo sent man! GL on the job hunt...

BigBrewtus said:
Many peeps are up for trades. Offer some gear for modules! Oh and welcome to the forum and MTS line. :D

ok thanks, though i dont have much to offer right now lol

maybe my tonebone hot british and coffin blood drive, unortunately it wont let me post in the classified section yet...

Harvester1199 said:
BigBrewtus said:
Many peeps are up for trades. Offer some gear for modules! Oh and welcome to the forum and MTS line. :D

maybe my tonebone hot british and coffin blood drive, unortunately it wont let me post in the classified section yet...

You need 10 posts to hit Classifieds, but if you've bought something on here...I'm sure someone will vouch for ya!

The Tonebone hot british is great....had one of those a while back. \m/

JKD said:
Harvester1199 said:
BigBrewtus said:

You need 10 posts to hit Classifieds, but if you've bought something on here...I'm sure someone will vouch for ya!

The Tonebone hot british is great....had one of those a while back. \m/
ahh i see, well only a few more posts to go :p

JKD said:
Stock module that will be in the vein of what you need.... UltraXL

Others to consider....KH-3 (can get a bit nasal) or Grail (I love these for Recto...they sound like the live version of Metallica 'Black Album' tone)

Cheapest and quickest way to get a modded Mark module..... Pete (Gigmods) if he's still doing mods or Rob (Jaded Faith)

I have the former and will soon have the latter to compare.

Hang out in the classifieds and one will come up at some point also :)

I've also had a MarkUS and would like to try again at some point but didn't feel it was as easy to dial in as either of the aforementioned and went after a slightly different version of the Mark Tone.

Another option to consider is the Scorch by Jeff Hilligan...I don't think it tries to nail Puppets but it has a killer Mesa/Marshall crossover voicing that is really heavy sounding....I loved the sound of that with a JB or similar hot-rodded PAF humbucker.

How does the Markus compare to Pete's Mark module?
Are these modules only good for heavy distortion?

Have you heard this one? http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10109146 (cleans are MarkUs too)
And this: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8932154
I think it's safe to say the MarkUs is the one for you! ;)

Being in Canada is no problem at all, Salvation has customers all over the globe. You can send in a module of yours or you can buy a "donor" with your mod. That way you get a module straight from Randall onto Anthony's workbench. (this also saves you some shipping costs and time since Anthony already has the donor there)
E-mail [email protected] for a pricelist. (donorprices are on there too)

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask me or Anthony! :D