Help me pick out a 212 cabinet

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randall MTS would be my choice. Sounds great, will match your amp, and you get the amazing recording outs.

Pete

I just got an MTS R212NXT and it's awesome. I used an Atomic 212-50 before this and it had Celestion Century Vintages in it. The MTS cab has regular Celestion Century's and it sounds great. The Atomic was a ported design like the Genz Benz and my low end was always loose and hard to control. I needed something tigher and the MTS cab is perfect.

Pete - Can you comment more on the XLR outs on the cab? I am thinking about using them live and wanted some feedback on how they sound compared to miking the cab and preferred settings for the Dark/Normal/Bright switch. Thanks!

i had the 2x12 mts cab with vintage 30's (should have never sold it) and it sounded amazingly huge. I didn't use the XLR option to much. for live its OK but it wasn't quite the same as placing a mic in front of the speakers For recording IMO. Otherwise a great CAB

Jaded Faith said:
I just got an MTS R212NXT and it's awesome. I used an Atomic 212-50 before this and it had Celestion Century Vintages in it. The MTS cab has regular Celestion Century's and it sounds great. The Atomic was a ported design like the Genz Benz and my low end was always loose and hard to control. I needed something tigher and the MTS cab is perfect.

Pete - Can you comment more on the XLR outs on the cab? I am thinking about using them live and wanted some feedback on how they sound compared to miking the cab and preferred settings for the Dark/Normal/Bright switch. Thanks!

I usually use an SM57 close miked, sometimes I ran a E609 Silver instead or along with it and blended them. I have been using the switch in the middle position and then let the sound guy tweak from there.

Sometimes I think I've had a better tone than the cab outs when I ran two mics, sometimes worse. Here's what I really love about the XLRs -

they are consistent. No 'mic has moved 1/4 and the tone went to hell' issues. No 'some doofus bumped my mic and moved it'. No having to find room for a mic stand. Just plug it into the cab and go. My soundguy loves it because it gives him the same thing every time, unlike a microphone.

Ive tried a few mesa cabs with my Rm100 combo and loved the sound and feel of the V30s in them but hated the boomy sound the mesa box creates IMO. So i took the V30s out and swapped them for the G12t-75s in the combo and it really came alive then.

Now I have sold the Mesa 2x12 and bought me a G-Flex and holy crap its the sweetest sounding 2x12 IMO. I use a BBE362nr to tame the bottom end and raise the presence and i can nail some sweet tones with the V30, g-flex combination. Of course the V30s are way more mid ranged than the g-flex so i think it helps my range having the lower end added to the mid-high end.

G-Flex 2x12 is a great choice.

i used to run all kinds of 4X12s, 2X12s and the MTS 2X12 is currently my favorite. The V30s are great for what I do, very versatile and tons of balls in the mids, tight bottom end as well. I'm looking into getting the G-Flex 2X12 as a 2nd cab.
The XLR Mic eliminator is exactly as Pete described. It gives you unprecedented consistency, what you hear going to your recording is what you hear coming out of the cabinet. I think it's a great, great innovation by Bruce and a really cool feature for the MTS cabs. I used to hate having to deal with miking issues, especially if I want to record in my home studio in the middle of the night, when I don't really want to deal with miking, but just want to get a take with a decent tone.

tung said:
The XLR Mic eliminator is exactly as Pete described. It gives you unprecedented consistency, what you hear going to your recording is what you hear coming out of the cabinet. I think it's a great, great innovation by Bruce and a really cool feature for the MTS cabs. I used to hate having to deal with miking issues, especially if I want to record in my home studio in the middle of the night, when I don't really want to deal with miking, but just want to get a take with a decent tone.

It's true... i use the mic elim all the time and get consistant results and FAST at that .. what you hear is what you get...and that sits well with me

TheHunter said:
Ive tried a few mesa cabs with my Rm100 combo and loved the sound and feel of the V30s in them but hated the boomy sound the mesa box creates IMO. So i took the V30s out and swapped them for the G12t-75s in the combo and it really came alive then.

Now I have sold the Mesa 2x12 and bought me a G-Flex and holy crap its the sweetest sounding 2x12 IMO. I use a BBE362nr to tame the bottom end and raise the presence and i can nail some sweet tones with the V30, g-flex combination. Of course the V30s are way more mid ranged than the g-flex so i think it helps my range having the lower end added to the mid-high end.

G-Flex 2x12 is a great choice.

Me likey my Mesa 4x12 with vintage 30's. I want to hear a mesa cab with C90's in it. No one around here has some. Then again, no one around me has the flippin KH modules... :evil: :?: :evil: :?: :evil:

I was wondering , I play a RM4 together with a Rocktron Velocity Valve 2x80W tube-amp. If I 'd play with the V30 MTS cab which is only 60W would it be problem to play throught it, blowing the speakers ? how much can they handle ? I use 2 eminence texas heats now (150W each) in Rocktron S112 cabs ...

Thx

Raf