Help requested. Output questions/isues

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrxplayer

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a newbie to Randall mod amps.

I have an RM50 and have been using a Deluxe module for cleans. Just picked up a Blackface to compare. Loaded both with every dial at 12 O'clock to a/b compare them. Had master around 10 o'clock.

Output on the blackface was a fraction of the output on the deluxe with settings the same. My first instinct was to conclude that there was something wrong w/ the blackface. Next I unloaded both and reloaded in opposite slots. Same thing. Now I'm convinced there's something wrong.

I decided to do the same experiment w/ a Brahma on one side and and SL+ on the other. Had a similar result w/ the SL+ being louder but the difference wasn't as much as with the clean modules.

Reloaded the blackface and turned up the master, the gain, and the levels and bit and found that turned up it sounds good, perhaps even as it should.

Is this the way it's supposed to be?

modules are not equal in terms of output, especially a Deluxe has more mids than a BFace, so it will be louder...but there shouldn't be a HUGE disparity.

My guess is different or old tubes. Preamp tubes can make a big difference in the output level. Try switching the tubes with the modules. If the volume level follows the tube swap, you've found your issue.

Hey guys. I sold him the module and the tubes are Electro Harmonix 12AY7 both V1 and V2 which operate at a gain of around 45. Just FYI.

Joshua

Mister Joshua said:
Hey guys. I sold him the module and the tubes are Electro Harmonix 12AY7 both V1 and V2 which operate at a gain of around 45. Just FYI.

Joshua

Well, that would do it for the cleans...And I would bet some fresh tubes would help...You can get them pretty cheap these days...Is the gain set different on the Brahma and SL+? How large is the discrepancy?

Also, what if you just swap tubes in the SL+ and Brahma and test it that way?

Best of luck...And what has been said is true...There is often a volume discrepancy between modules...I have some I almost max while others are half way...Just part of the game sometimes...The RM50 has a master volume to use too...If you had a RM20/RM22 it may be a bigger problem as they use only module volume....