Home recording feedback please

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here they are. Some songs with vocal tracks, and solos.

http://www.last.fm/music/BerserkerfoX/BerserkerfoX+LP+Sampler+%282009%29

Still a few takes missing... but you get the idea. Comments and feedback much appreciated!

Cheers,
Ashish

ashishk said:
And here they are. Some songs with vocal tracks, and solos.

http://www.last.fm/music/BerserkerfoX/BerserkerfoX+LP+Sampler+%282009%29

Still a few takes missing... but you get the idea. Comments and feedback much appreciated!

Cheers,
Ashish
Comments about levels, mix, etc... anything really. Really wanna get this mix sounding as big as possible. Download the tracks to play em on your stereos or with EQ if you so choose.

Thanks loads!

Want it to sound bigger?

Double record your guitars note for note. DO NOT do a software duplicate. Pan one of the doubles left, use a mono/stereo delay about 30 ms panned to the right. Do the same for the other double. That will give you a larger feeling. Adjust the panning to give you the approximate location of the guitars.

Be careful not to overwhelm the vocals. You'll have to drop the levels of the guitars a bit. Leave the bass as a single track to start. If it's weak double record that one, too, except keep this mono and panned center or offset about 12% on each side.

Use a delay on the vocal track as well. Set the delay for one beat and very soft. It doesn't have to be much. It'll just make things sound a little fuller.

Just some ideas. All this will affect your master fader level.

Sounds great though.

Julia said:
Want it to sound bigger?

Double record your guitars note for note. DO NOT do a software duplicate. Pan one of the doubles left, use a mono/stereo delay about 30 ms panned to the right. Do the same for the other double. That will give you a larger feeling. Adjust the panning to give you the approximate location of the guitars.

Be careful not to overwhelm the vocals. You'll have to drop the levels of the guitars a bit. Leave the bass as a single track to start. If it's weak double record that one, too, except keep this mono and panned center or offset about 12% on each side.

Use a delay on the vocal track as well. Set the delay for one beat and very soft. It doesn't have to be much. It'll just make things sound a little fuller.

Sounds great though.
Wicked! Will give that a try over the weekend. Thanks for the input Julia! Much appreciated!

ashishk said:
Julia said:
Want it to sound bigger?

Sounds great though.
Wicked! Will give that a try over the weekend. Thanks for the input Julia! Much appreciated!

First, I'll say that I think they sound really good and can easily stand on their own! :D

The only thing that "bothered" me is the snare, but it's probably just personal preference and me being picky. I'd sweeten the snare, so it is a little more present, especially in the beginning of Self Professed Kings because of the marching-type feel.

Julia's tip for the guitars is cool, but I think you may find 30ms too much of a lag (in my experience). You probably want to be in the 17ms-21ms range. But, if you really want a bigger sound then you should just record 4 individual performances--2 for each guitar. Pan 2 tracks hard L/R and the others to taste, but be careful because phasing can come into play.

Have these songs been mastered?

SacredGroove said:
ashishk said:
Julia said:
Want it to sound bigger?

Sounds great though.

First, I'll say that I think they sound really good and can easily stand on their own! :D

The only thing that "bothered" me is the snare, but it's probably just personal preference and me being picky. I'd sweeten the snare, so it is a little more present, especially in the beginning of Self Professed Kings because of the marching-type feel.

Julia's tip for the guitars is cool, but I think you may find 30ms too much of a lag (in my experience). You probably want to be in the 17ms-21ms range. But, if you really want a bigger sound then you should just record 4 individual performances--2 for each guitar. Pan 2 tracks hard L/R and the others to taste, but be careful because phasing can come into play.

Have these songs been mastered?
Oh crap.. that snare roll shouldn't be there that way. We have another take of that roll which I have absent-mindedly left out.

Thanks for the comments tho. I've mastered this using Fruity Loops so that I could upload it here, but the final tracks will be professionally mastered... setting us back AUD$1100 for 9 tracks.

Is there anything I should be prepared for prior to the mastering process?

This diagram shows more of what i'm talking about. The N or Near locations are where you pan the 100% dry recorded track. The D or Distant locations of the respective number are where you use your stereo delay (post production in your ProTools) and pan the "echo" -- there can be phasing issues, so there's this "phasing" percentage. Keep that as low as possible like around 5% and experiment with the gain or loudness of the delay or echo. Use the short delay. You can find sometimes 20 to 30 ms fine. It will depend upon how much of the space you want to explore.

This can create a textural of a wall of sound.

WallofSounddiagram.jpg

Great diagram..although I'm not a big fan of putting delay on rhythm axes- especially on this kind of music...before you go putting delay on everything, are your drums recorded to a click? Even if your drummer is great (and he sounds solid), there is bound to be some discrepencies in time that will turn your delays into mush. Instead of delays, track guitars 3 (and maybe 4) and put them into those spots, quieter in the mix- just enough to fill it out

Ironically, I think the opposite for your vox- it is a bit dry...maybe that works , I'm not sure...

overall, good effort, cool solos!

Julia said:
This diagram shows more of what i'm talking about. The N or Near locations are where you pan the 100% dry recorded track. The D or Distant locations of the respective number are where you use your stereo delay (post production in your ProTools) and pan the "echo" -- there can be phasing issues, so there's this "phasing" percentage. Keep that as low as possible like around 5% and experiment with the gain or loudness of the delay or echo. Use the short delay. You can find sometimes 20 to 30 ms fine. It will depend upon how much of the space you want to explore.

This can create a textural of a wall of sound.

WallofSounddiagram.jpg
That diagram is amazing... made sense straight away. I think the rhyhtms on this album are too streamlined to benefit from that much layering, but its definitely given me something to think about for the next release. A lot more layers on that one... so thank you so much Julia!

crankyrayhanky said:
Great diagram..although I'm not a big fan of putting delay on rhythm axes- especially on this kind of music...before you go putting delay on everything, are your drums recorded to a click? Even if your drummer is great (and he sounds solid), there is bound to be some discrepencies in time that will turn your delays into mush. Instead of delays, track guitars 3 (and maybe 4) and put them into those spots, quieter in the mix- just enough to fill it out

Ironically, I think the opposite for your vox- it is a bit dry...maybe that works , I'm not sure...

overall, good effort, cool solos!
I think anymore layering and the mix will get really clouded. Glad you like the tones so far. Dry vox ay... I'll see what I can do to sweeten that up. Maybe I'll double track that one with delay... might benefit tonnes from that. Thanks loads crankyrayhanky!

I used that diagram on my next cover release. The delays are very faint, but they just give a fullness. It's not the same genre, though. Slower paced. I apply all effects post production anyway so it's real easy to change up things without having to redo any recording. Also save multiple copies as I add stuff so I always have a return point as a project progresses.

I'm more into playing "Jurassic" rock, Stoner rock, Grunge, and stuff like that, but I like putting a rough edge to them. My hands won't allow me to play anything shred, but I like listening to metal bands.

I was listening to Arch Enemy's live album today and was amazed how close the Ultra XL modules sound to the 5150 -- they are a bit smoother.

Julia said:
I used that diagram on my next cover release. The delays are very faint, but they just give a fullness. It's not the same genre, though. Slower paced. I apply all effects post production anyway so it's real easy to change up things without having to redo any recording. Also save multiple copies as I add stuff so I always have a return point as a project progresses.

I'm more into playing "Jurassic" rock, Stoner rock, Grunge, and stuff like that, but I like putting a rough edge to them. My hands won't allow me to play anything shred, but I like listening to metal bands.

I was listening to Arch Enemy's live album today and was amazed how close the Ultra XL modules sound to the 5150 -- they are a bit smoother.
Ditto on the Ultra XL. Just got one a few days ago... and it sounds so close to the 5150, but definitely smoother. Everything about the Randall MTS is smooth... love it!