I have a problem with me effects loops

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james.fugate

Reaction score
First, when I run anything through my series I get a db cut, which i'm assuming is to be expected. The real problem is that it makes this terrible sound like my speakers are busted. I unplug from the loop and everything is fine. The parallel doesn't seem to work altogether. I realize that these are tube driven. Could it be that the tubes need replaced? If so, how do I go about doing so? Thanks in advance.

What kind of effects are you running in your loops? Most effect pedals are not able to handle the relatively large signal (compared to a guitar pick up) output from the preamp.

This will cause the inputs of the effects to overload and will (in most cases) create a less pleasant sound.

You should be running a Line Level Shifter. The stock pedal decimator is made for -10 dbv, not line level. I'll be that's your problem. If you're at line level going into it, you'll be clipping your signal and it's not a nice tube clip. It's a solid state overload clip.

Acually, I believe that the Decimtator should be able to handle the line level signal. I?ve always had mine before the amp, so I don?t have any first hand experience. But it is mentioned in the Decimetor manual that it can run in the effect loop.

I might be able to test mine in the loop later today. I will report back.

Ulvo said:
Acually, I believe that the Decimtator should be able to handle the line level signal. I?ve always had mine before the amp, so I don?t have any first hand experience. But it is mentioned in the Decimetor manual that it can run in the effect loop.

I might be able to test mine in the loop later today. I will report back.

Most FX loops have a switch for -10 dbv/+ 4 dbv, and some only -10 dbv (like a 5150 and Fender amps). This one does not. It is a +4 dbv loop.

So if the Decimator is designed for -10 dbv you need a Line Level Shifter.

Boss pedals, and most other pedals need a Line Level Shifter.

You might try calling ISP Technologies tech support and asking about the product. Don't just ask if they can go into the FX loop. Ask if they can handle line level.

I'm using a Line Level Shifter in the serial loop and run a Chorus (CH-1) and DD-6 in the loop and they work just fine.

Anybody correct me if Im wrong but, couldn't you [send] to rackmount eq. then lower gain level on the eq. then [send] from eq to pedal effects then run pedals back to [return]? :D

Man, I am having the same problem with my TC Electronic G-Major. When the G-Major is in the series loop, which is really the only way to get decent time-based effects (such as delays, tremolos and vibratos), I lose so much volume, not so much tone but definitely volume. Additionally, I can totally peak out the input of the G-Major by going up to 10 o' clock on my module volume.

If I recall, the default setting on the gmajor is -6db on all presets. You may want to check this, if you haven't changed it, you will definately notice a volume drop. Just a thought...

james.fugate said:
All i'm trying to run is my ISP Decimator. Should i be using speaker cables?

I have the same problems with my decimator, the cables won?t do it !
Now I run it in front of the amp again... :cry:

blues38pavol said:
Man, I am having the same problem with my TC Electronic G-Major. When the G-Major is in the series loop, which is really the only way to get decent time-based effects (such as delays, tremolos and vibratos), I lose so much volume, not so much tone but definitely volume. Additionally, I can totally peak out the input of the G-Major by going up to 10 o' clock on my module volume.

Try your G Major in the parallel loop with the kill dry on. It will sound awesome. You will have no tone suckage because the dry tone is unaffected and you wont have any volume problems either. This is how Randall tech support tells everyone to run their time bases effecs that have the kill dry on them.

tlingen said:
blues38pavol said:

Try your G Major in the parallel loop with the kill dry on. It will sound awesome. You will have no tone suckage because the dry tone is unaffected and you wont have any volume problems either. This is how Randall tech support tells everyone to run their time bases effecs that have the kill dry on them.

Thanks, I'll try that. Now where's that manual.... :?

Try reducing the individual module master settings and increase the main master. This will lower the level at the loop and possibly help the problem. Where do you typically set the module masters?

Hey guys. I've got some questions about this line level shifter. They seem pretty pricey. I mean just to knock down 15 db. So what I did as an experiment, I took an old guitar pot and slapped it between a couple jacks and brought the line down in the parallel loop so I could use my Art Multiverb. Other wise not a chance. It took the clip out and didn't dis-color the tone at all. Sounded good. Only problem is the return is just a bit low and I can't boost the output any more at the FX unit.
Another question: On all my Marshalls with loops; I would run a sort of boost pedal, usually an EQ to boost solos. Of coarse we all know it won't work on these amps. Or will it with this Line Level shifter? And what kind do you get? I've looked em' up and some are like $350 bucks.
I loved my combo so much I bought a head too. { cuz you gotta have a working place for your extra modules ..} But I also love my rack mount FX more than pedals. Hmmm Where to begin?
Now. Let's get someone selling short 5 to 7 pin midi cables!!! :roll:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LLS2/ and it's $75.

You send the signal one way: from the +4 dbu to -10 dbu, not the other way around. It doesn't do a good job of boosting signals. Still you will need to regulate your channel level since past noon on them, especially on the clean modules, you will blow right by the 15 db pad.

I'm not particularly fond of parallel loops since pretty much everything I run in the loop is time based.

I'm the opposite. I love the parallel loop on my JMP-1 and my Carvin V3 vs. the serial loops on my 5150 or JCM 800. At least I think those are serial. They work great too, by the way. I just get a smoother effect from the parallel. Plug and play works great for me. I guess I just don't get the advantage of the "jumped up" loops on the RM. I mean really. You have to have another component to work the loop? There must be some advantage. Right?

tlingen said:
blues38pavol said:

A couple of noob questions. I just received the G Major today and had a quick play with it. It sounds ok through the series but better through the parallel. My question is what do you mean by "drykill"? I am new to rack fx so and help would be appreciated.

Also my Blackface module is clipping like crazy with just the Chorus effect running. Inout levels are fine but I am using an EMG 60. Any suggestions?

raz311 said:
A couple of noob questions. I just received the G Major today and had a quick play with it. It sounds ok through the series but better through the parallel. My question is what do you mean by "drykill"? I am new to rack fx so and help would be appreciated.

"Drykill": 100% effect / 0% direct signal
so you're dry tone will not pass thru the FX unit, balancing the wet/dry level only with your FX loop mix knob

Also my Blackface module is clipping like crazy with just the Chorus effect running. Inout levels are fine but I am using an EMG 60. Any suggestions?

I'm using an EMG 85 and I hardly get it to break up, if it's certain it's not your chorus/input level, did you check your batteries?

Latest posts