I have a question about what the warranty really covers.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have alreay registered my RM4, but an accident has occured and I need to know what Randall will cover and what they will not. I have already read the warranty and am not entirely clear on the wording. I am not going to post what happened, as I want to speak with someone who knows their stuff and not embarrass myself in front of everyone else. If you know Randall warranty policy, please contact me and I will tell you exactly what occured. Thank you for your help.

How is anybody supposed to know if something is covered if we don't know what the something is?

If you set it on fire whilst beating it with a sledgehammer that's probably not covered either.

I had been using the two rack units @ practices and everything was fine. We had a show coming up and I needed to buy a rack in which to put them. Obviously, since it's expensive tube equipment, I bought an SKB 8U shockmount rack because I also has some other stuff to go in it. Took my rack to it's 1st venue and was a small place with not much room anywhere. Obviously, an 8 space rack sets low to the ground, making it impossible to reach controls easily during a song, so I had to set it on something. There was nothing around to set it, so reluctantly (with the convincing of my rookie guitar-tech-in-training), I set it on my 4 x 12 cab. Now it was where I could reach it, but the rack was much deeper than the cab. I tested it, moved it, tested it again and it felt steady. We had a 9 song set that night. Halfway through the last song, my whole rack comes toppling off the cab (apparently due to prolonged vibrations), hits me in the back (remember the small stage?) and crashes face-down into the floor behind me. By the grace of God, I kept right on playing the rest of the song as though nothing at all happened. In fact, I was all the more energectic to spite the nightmarish situation. The sound just kept coming out. Guess the Randall had the same philosophy as I: "The show must go on!" Anyway, the front panels were fine because of those metal, C or D shaped bars at either end of the panel. The problem is that my 1/4" plug protruded beyond this protection point and was shoved into the front input jack. The plastic nut on the front of the metal panel broke away and was forced around the plug, which peeled back the rubber sheathing on the cable. The plastic threaded input jack was ripped out of the nut and the threads were stripped off and now the jack is dangling inside the RM4. Unfortunately, the manual channel switch is somehow connected and also now dangles inside, randomly switching channels if moved around.
Now you can understand why I am so embarrased. But I actually feel like this was a harmless accident, not due to mistreatment or anything like that. Can someone please help me?

Bud, any local guitar/amp tech can fix the input jack for you. Regarding the channel switching, hopefully if the switch is not moving around then it will stop doing it. Sorry, i'm not too familiar with that. Hopefully somebody else will chime in regarding that.

I appreciate it. I will contact some local amp repair people in hopes that they can fix it, but honestly I feel it's something I could do myself, but I don't know where to get the part(s).

The top of my 4X12 is my rackcases home......dunno why it would be so terribly embarassing ( **** happens) it's a tragic thing if anything. Yet I'd say NOT COVERED yet cheap to fix like the others said..

I didn't talk with anyone who knew how I could get a hold of a nut, so I had to take it to someone. He charged a $40 deposit. When he gave it back to me, all he had done was put a new nut on it. He said that the channel switch dangling inside was or might have been grounding out against the chassis, thus causing inconsistent switching. But when I got it home, it was still doing the same thing. It would be on channel 1. I would switch to 2 and 3 (sometimes 4, but I don't have a fourth module)and back to one, but the #1 module was no longer active. I would press the manual switch and 1 would become active again and I would switch through and back to 1 and it would dissappear again. So I tried fooling around with the RM4's switch and the footswitch in different ways only to discover that the footswitch simply needed to be reprogrammed. So there was apparently never anything wrong with the channel switch at all.
All I actually needed was the nut which should have costed under $5, but I paid someone $40 against my better instincts. So from now on, if I feel that I know what I need, I will not take it to someone until I have exhausted my own options (ie buying my own part from who knows where and install it myself).