I swapped some power tubes tonight.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I had all 34's in the RM100 and have 6L6's, and 6550's on hand. I experienced a volume drop the other day and one of the 34L's was drifting all over the place for the past couple of months so I decided to pull both of those, replace them with 6L6's, and leave the Winged C 34's in the 2 and 3 spots.

After years of experimenting I found that I like the EL34 Marshall tones but the 6L6's added a nice change of pace. Noticeably deeper and tighter lows mainly with the 34's mid focused grind still in place. Of course, if those 34L's were on their way out then that could explain some of the change in lows and tightness.

In the end, the 6L6's will stay for a while.

I am still digging the Winged C 34 an JJ 6L6 combo in my RM100 but was wondering what change, if any, would swapping the 6L6's with 5881's bring.

If you want to take this one step further... Actually, tone wise it's more like 5 steps... Try some Gold Lion reissue KT66's ! Bigger and tighter lows, fuller mids, sweeter highs, and overall a larger tone. They're f...n unbelievable!!

Shinozoku said:
Tighter lows, fuller mids, clearer all around tone.

That sounds like it might be just what I am looking for. A touch more mids and some not so deep lows. The 6L6's sound good in there but I am so used to all 34's that they are just a little too much for me.

eyeball987 said:
Shinozoku said:

That sounds like it might be just what I am looking for. A touch more mids and some not so deep lows. The 6L6's sound good in there but I am so used to all 34's that they are just a little too much for me.
I didn't like my JJ 6L6GCs.... But I love my Tung Sol 5881s. They're a 6L6 for people who don't like 6L6's :D

Shinozoku said:
eyeball987 said:
Shinozoku said:

I didn't like my JJ 6L6GCs.... But I love my Tung Sol 5881s. They're a 6L6 for people who don't like 6L6's :D

I am going to hit up The Valve Queen or Dougs Tubes next week for a set of the Tung Sol's. Thanks.