• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I want a Judge module...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
I have a Plexi module (modified) and cash..pm me
GtrGeorge

some email delays due to hurricane

Good choice George! My all time go to module.....Not a ton of gain but "brown" as it gets!

rblyn said:
Good choice George! My all time go to module.....Not a ton of gain but "brown" as it gets!

Good choice indeed, stock Judge is one of the best stockers. But for that gain situation Judge and Jury gets you that extra gain and much more, just throwing that out there :)

Hope you find one soon.

I might be the odd man out, but "meh." Get a Mr. Scary and call it a day, in my worthless opinion the best stocker available. The Judge sounds like something that might be good with a pillow... matress... no, cement blocks in front of your speaker cab. Again, I may be in the minority, but HIGHLY overrated. For my $ in a stocker, I'd go with a Scary. My $0.02 and as my sig says, I am an idiot.

Scary or em...the SL+ (almost the same to my ears) are pretty darn good modules too. Its all personal preference. The Judge to me is when Randall finally started to get their stockers "right" along with the 1987 (thanks to Mr Friedman). Those are just miles better for my style (not a gain freak) and they both have a killer feel or "sag" to them... hard to explain. Cant imagine either sounding like a blanket over them- might be my guitars/speakers helping with that? Anyway, Randall gets it right- Then of course, they discontinue the line. Go figure...

My favorite stocker to date has been the Grail. I did have it modded, but simply to add a tight switch and mid-shift. The more modules I get, the more I realize I am less and less of a Marshall guy. The XTC is righteous and has that Marshally vibe though. I can't speak on The Judge or the Scary myself so...another measly .02 for ya.

Jaymzrock said:
My favorite stocker to date has been the Grail. I did have it modded, but simply to add a tight switch and mid-shift. The more modules I get, the more I realize I am less and less of a Marshall guy. The XTC is righteous and has that Marshally vibe though. I can't speak on The Judge or the Scary myself so...another measly .02 for ya.

James- Do you have the stock XTC? I recently got a brand new one cheap (blackfaced) and was shocked! It kills for leads! Nice thick cutting tone....Gets muddy with higher gain but around noon, mids up- very nice. I got it to mod to JF or SG XTC but just like my stock Ultra, Im gonna hang onto it for a bit.

I just recently modded mine to a JF XTC, but yes..the lead capability of the stock XTC was phenomenal. It was a sleeper in my collection for awhile until I popped it in for a Channel 3 solo deal. I definitely was impressed with how open and musical it was...especially for a Randall stock mod!!! I do think it is a top stocker next to the grail. Grail rhythm/ XTC lead...good to go.

I hear you all..and appreciate the honest sentiments.
Its weird...in all of my MTS work..Its hard to be cohesive across the tone spectrums....and that is important to me. I want my tones to not be so jarring that the listener cant follow them.
I started out going for more extremes (owned an Ultra, 1087, etc...but as time goes on..I would rather have punch and clarity of execution than distortion. besides, the higher the gain the more noise.and even with gates its IN the music you are playing and I can actually hear it.

So I have turned my attention to lower gain modules than most people here seem to enjoy (seems that Metal heads and Randall-ites get along just fine!!)..
Im pretty happy with my Retro tones (Vox,Marshall, Blackface fender and now just looking for a more higher gain Plexi...like a Lee Jackson sound..a JCM800 on steroids..esssentially what a JUDGE is all about. And although I used to have an interest in the Soldano sound...its kinda Judge-like..but it has this hig mid edge thing that I think gets old pretty fast.
your opinions? Comments?
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
I hear you all..and appreciate the honest sentiments.
Its weird...in all of my MTS work..Its hard to be cohesive across the tone spectrums....and that is important to me. I want my tones to not be so jarring that the listener cant follow them.
I started out going for more extremes (owned an Ultra, 1087, etc...but as time goes on..I would rather have punch and clarity of execution than distortion. besides, the higher the gain the more noise.and even with gates its IN the music you are playing and I can actually hear it.

So I have turned my attention to lower gain modules than most people here seem to enjoy (seems that Metal heads and Randall-ites get along just fine!!)..
Im pretty happy with my Retro tones (Vox,Marshall, Blackface fender and now just looking for a more higher gain Plexi...like a Lee Jackson sound..a JCM800 on steroids..esssentially what a JUDGE is all about. And although I used to have an interest in the Soldano sound...its kinda Judge-like..but it has this hig mid edge thing that I think gets old pretty fast.
your opinions? Comments?
GtrGeorge

Judge is a mid gainer in my opinion- Perfect level of gain for me anyway- I use it as my main rythm tone and Im a Marshall guy through and through- Its a smooth, chewy, brown sound- the classic 80's modded Marshall (more Plexi-ish than JCM 800) tone and different than the Soldano sound for sure. I'd say a Soldano has more "bite" and plays a little stiffer but is still a killer tone. I had the Salvado- GREAT mod- Totally reminded me of "Dr Feelgood" from Crue- also did a great SRV dialing back the gain-Look, the Judge is Randall's "peak" as far MTS goes- It's commisioned/designed by George Lynch and Dave Friedman- Two highly respected tone gurus- Straight from Dave Friedman- "The Judge is like a Brown Eye with the Sat switch" Check the vid below out to get an idea what that is- I played this very amp (ok, maybe not the exact one but the same model, a 50 watt version) and with EL34's in my RM100- I can pull very similar tones from my Judge. Totally felt similar (Pay more attention to the Brown Eye tones, not the Hairy BE) The most important thing about the Judge is it's responsiveness- Very inspirational feel to it- All this talk of "blanket" and "mud" is strange to me- I use Charvel San Dimas models with Duncans- Have had a mix of Mesa and Randall XL cabs and never had a muddy tone from it. I'd say give it a shot- Im pretty sure you are into more "rock tones" from talking with you in the past- This would probably be a good fit in your rig- My current cover project is with Toni Aleman (from Mandy Lion/WWIII and endorsed by Blackstar) and some other world class musicians doing anything from classic Rush (older 2112/Moving Pictures tunes) to Ozzy/Dio tunes- also have Rick Plester to jam with on occassion- (he's endorsed by Randall and Dean). They go GAGA over my rig with the Judge running...as does most folks who here it live...This is not to brag- just trying to illustrate how good this thing can sound. When folks here it-They're like "WTH are you using???" Read around the web- Lots of the old school Marshall guys really take to this module too-Take a listen to this- Gets you in the ballpark, although the real Marsha does have a bit more clarity and more "earthy/organic" sound to it- its still very close. All I've got to say is- Friedman is the MAN :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9NISyViNBM

rblyn,
i think you understand me exactly..it will great once I own a Jodge.
thanks
GtrGeorge

The "smooth" or "blanketed" comment with regards to the Judge I think I can understand. It takes time for the ears to adjust between mods when you go from one to the other. If you go from a friedman brahma to the Judge, the Judge sounds a bit smoother and to some people "blanketed" because the highs are not as pronounced. Furthermore, I would suspect a lot of metal guys around here are running mahogany bodied guitars without maple tops and that affects things as well. I have an alder strat that is really dark to my ears. I used this almost exclusively when i first got the judge and i wasn't always satisfied. Once i started using two of my other guitars that were naturally brighter, I've dialed back both the presence on the amp as well as the treble on the judge. If anything, with some pups and guitars, there might be a tad too much top end. That said, the judge is a great module and I flipped the 1987 and kept it because it kicks ***.

Kapo_Polenton said:
The "smooth" or "blanketed" comment with regards to the Judge I think I can understand. It takes time for the ears to adjust between mods when you go from one to the other. If you go from a friedman brahma to the Judge, the Judge sounds a bit smoother and to some people "blanketed" because the highs are not as pronounced. Furthermore, I would suspect a lot of metal guys around here are running mahogany bodied guitars without maple tops and that affects things as well. I have an alder strat that is really dark to my ears. I used this almost exclusively when i first got the judge and i wasn't always satisfied. Once i started using two of my other guitars that were naturally brighter, I've dialed back both the presence on the amp as well as the treble on the judge. If anything, with some pups and guitars, there might be a tad too much top end. That said, the judge is a great module and I flipped the 1987 and kept it because it kicks ***.

Good points Kevin! I've got a couple of Charvels with alder bodies- One is the classic raw maple neck and and fretboard (the best in the biz if you ask me!) and the other does have a quitled Maple top- That probably helps a bit...I could see where a gibson or similar type guitar may be darker wih the Judge. I do have an all original 78 Explorer which I rarely break out- it still sounds pretty **** good with the Judge though...

not sure about the maple top thing being discussed.
..imho, wood does matter but is often completely disguised under mountains of distortion and other things. Believe me, I love my guitars and wood matters to me..but a number of guitar luthiers and industry big wigs seem to differ on the exact importance of it...
Still, in the context of a PAF and a Marshal type preamp...yeah I think it makes a difference.
just another opinion
GtrGeorge

Just got my Judge! Great stock module. Need to run it through it's paces to get a real feel for it.

Yes the WOOD does make a differance!!!!! :twisted: Hu Hu HAAA!!!!