I'm sorry but...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Call me a cork-sniffer but there is no preamp tube better than a Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7...Screw the gold part as that isn't a big deal...But over and over again I come back to that tube for Module V1 of every mod I own...For high gain = awesome, mid gain= awesome, cleans= kinda shitty...

Just kidding, AWESOME....

I use them in all V1s of my amps too....

They run 33 bones a pop so they aren't cheap by any standard but I've decided tonight that I'd rather pool up some money and get more of these than waste my time with others...I have almost every brand of tube (non-NOS) out there...And every make...I also own a tube tester so I can know when tubes are worn....Keeps comparisons valuable...I will admit the Gold Lion 12AX7 surprisingly does NOT sound great in Module V2...Too smooth in combo with the one already in Mod V1...I'm happy with a high gain Ruby there...

I know most people wouldn't care or notice what tubes I use and I'm more than fine with that...I think there is a lot of merit in using the same tubes in all mods and amp spots -whether it be JJ, EH, Tung Sol or what-have-you...I have no problem with that and it can yield equally stellar results in the proper hands...But the Gens are just great all around and I can totally tell the difference when they're in...We played around here a bit this week with experiments in tubes...AGAIN....I could hear the Gens about 90% of the time...The only tube I ever confused it with was my second fave - Tung Sol ECC803...Again, screw the gold...It's the 803 part I like...I love standard 83 Tungs too....

OK, I tried to cover my *** but flame away! 8)

This is just crazy. Everyone knows that all tubes are relabelled Sovteks. Now go melt the gold from those tubes and cash in while the prices are up!

Now I wanna try one...I don't know if I can justify $33 for a tube though.

The fact that some people would spend $200+ for one......NO thanks! haha

Oop sorry Fig, you've done that haven't you? :lol:

chuckmehh said:
Now I wanna try one...I don't know if I can justify $33 for a tube though.

The fact that some people would spend $200+ for one......NO thanks! haha

Oop sorry Fig, you've done that haven't you? :lol:

Proud to say I have not...I've dropped one bill on a tube once...A 12AX7WA JAN-Sylvania NOS I believe...Still have it somewhere but don't use it....I'll have to dig it out again...Maybe my recent cork-sniffing will have adjusted my senses enough for me to appreciate it...But I'm thinking not...I find 33 an almost ridiculous price but I'm fine with that...Every tube has been great or replaced (just a couple times) with Ebay and BNB Tubes...That's the 33 dealer...Great customer service and terrific pricing...

Mattfig said:
Proud to say I have not...I've dropped one bill on a tube once...A 12AX7WA JAN-Sylvania NOS I believe...Still have it somewhere but don't use it....I'll have to dig it out again...Maybe my recent cork-sniffing will have adjusted my senses enough for me to appreciate it...But I'm thinking not...I find 33 an almost ridiculous price but I'm fine with that...Every tube has been great or replaced (just a couple times) with Ebay and BNB Tubes...That's the 33 dealer...Great customer service and terrific pricing...

I see I see! Honestly, $33 isn't THAT bad if it is as killer as you proclaim. I may have to try one once I get some more modules (which is being worked out as we speak).

I'm insanely excited haha :D :D :D

Matt, you should take the Pepsi challenge and do a blind taste test Matt with a bunch of tubes and rate them. That would be a pretty interesting thing. :)

guitarzan said:
Matt, you should take the Pepsi challenge and do a blind taste test Matt with a bunch of tubes and rate them. That would be a pretty interesting thing. :)

I did that in the studio this week...A friend changed tubes and I could almost always sniff out the Genalex...That's the point, it's a difference I can hear in almost every mod when compared to various JJ, EHs, Rubys, Tung Sols, ARS, and several more...I couldn't distinguish the standards very well admittedly...But the Gens were pretty **** great in every single mod and the difference is audible to me...To most, probably not...

Mattfig said:
I did that in the studio this week...A friend changed tubes and I could almost always sniff out the Genalex...That's the point, it's a difference I can hear in almost every mod when compared to various JJ, EHs, Rubys, Tung Sols, ARS, and several more...I couldn't distinguish the standards very well admittedly...But the Gens were pretty **** great in every single mod and the difference is audible to me...To most, probably not...

that's really cool dude! That's how ya prove it! :D Nice...

Can you see my thread "MIDI things" and answer that please by the way? hahahahah Thread advertising FTW.

chuckmehh said:
Mattfig said:

that's really cool dude! That's how ya prove it! :D Nice...

Can you see my thread "MIDI things" and answer that please by the way? hahahahah Thread advertising FTW.

I don't know how cool it is...Quite frankly I set this up so that I could start to believe that tubes are tubes...I don't like spending 33 bucks on a single tube and was starting to feel like a sucker...Especially when you read so much bullshit online...Much like Big B humorously pointed out- there are people that want to think that every tube is the same, they're just rebranded...I know there aren't factories for each brand too...I sit in the middle and realize that many tubes are rebranded JJss....I REALLY wanted to hear little to no difference but that was not the case...

In the end, I'm happy I have conclusive evidence that the money spent is worth it...However it would have been better to start using inexpensive tubes and be equally happy...

The NOS Yugo Ei/Phillips 7025s is slightly better for my ears...but try find one that's actually NOS for a good price these days.

With all of the money we all spend on modding modules, $33 is nothing for something that truly enhances your tone. I just ordered three sets of EH and Tungsol 12AX7s as these have been my favorites so far. But I'll order one of Matt's fav and give it a try too.
Speaking of things to improve your tone, everyone should check out the Elixir instrument cables. Here's a good demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBrRsJWFAGw&feature=related
These also making a HUGE difference in your tone. I hate their strings, but I love their cables!

Mattfig said:
They run 33 bones a pop so they aren't cheap by any standard but I've decided tonight that I'd rather pool up some money and get more of these than waste my time with others...I have almost every brand of tube (non-NOS) out there...And every make...I also own a tube tester so I can know when tubes are worn....Keeps comparisons valuable...I will admit the Gold Lion 12AX7 surprisingly does NOT sound great in Module V2...Too smooth in combo with the one already in Mod V1...I'm happy with a high gain Ruby there...

Good stuff . . . I've paid $29 for quite a few JAN Philips 5751's, so $33 for a tube just as critical doesn't seem too outrageous. I'll have to try one of these Gold Lions, but from your experience it sounds like what it's paired up with it in V2 is almost as important (high-gain Ruby's you say?).

I thought I read in some earlier posts of yours that you were set on Tung-Sol (gold-pins or high-gains - can't remember which) . . . or am I confusing you with someone else? If I'm not, when (and why) did you make the switch?

Where do you buy these $33 tubes fig?

Elixir sent me one of their cables for free when they first came out. I am a long time user of their strings so they will occasionally send me a t-shirt, test string samples, etc...

The difference between the Elixir cable and the Planet Waves I was using was pretty extreme. The Elixir cable was almost too transparent and bright at first. I had to re-EQ my amp to take out some highs. Great cable though.

I was amazed at the difference guitars cables make...I bought a monster cable and it sounded much cleaner and clearer than my previous cable....I have a planet waves I like as well,but it now has a short in it....

HughJasol said:
Mattfig said:

Good stuff . . . I've paid $29 for quite a few JAN Philips 5751's, so $33 for a tube just as critical doesn't seem too outrageous. I'll have to try one of these Gold Lions, but from your experience it sounds like what it's paired up with it in V2 is almost as important (high-gain Ruby's you say?).

I thought I read in some earlier posts of yours that you were set on Tung-Sol (gold-pins or high-gains - can't remember which) . . . or am I confusing you with someone else? If I'm not, when (and why) did you make the switch?

Yep, that was me...I still like the Tung Sol Gold ECC803, especially a high gainer in Module V2 with a Gen in Module V1...But I also really like the Ruby 12AX7AC5HG rated for high gain...But a Gold Tung in Mod V1 is also a great choice....

I get them on Ebay from BNB tubes for 33 bucks a piece....I know Ebay is sketchy for some things and you would think tubes would be one of things to avoid but BNB has been great...They replace anything you don't like...Hell, I bought two Gold Lion EL84s for my RM22 only to have the RM22 kill them with its high plate voltage in 2 days...FYI, Gold Lion EL84s don't work too well in RM22s as they are made for lower plate voltage amps...BNB allowed me to return them and gave me a full refund....The only part that is sucky about returns is that the buyer is responsible for shipping them back...Anyway, they remember good customers and treat you very well...Can't say enough good about them...

And 33 bucks is worth every penny for theGen 12AX7...It's an obvious difference to me...Though I know that's a higher price than typical tubes..I'm glad to hear some of you are gonna try one...Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them! Maybe I'm crazy but I think they're THE BOMB!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genalex-Gold-Lion-12AX7-ECC83-B759-tubes-Brand-New-/160612037263?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item256539328f#ht_500wt_1127
Here's some more Gold Lions with "Best Offer". I think they only do $31.99 per tube. Not much savings unless you buy a bunch. Have you dealt with these guys, Matt?

Mattfig said:
Aren't they purdy???
Yes sir... They are super purdy.
IMGP8687Medium.jpg

MATT - Thanks you are killing me with these kind of posts. As if I don't gas over enough stuff. Thank god/allah/buddha or whomever you prefer I have some Telefunken ECC803s and EI 12ax7 and a mullard or 2 lying around to mess with for now. And I thought only the big bottle tubes were expensive. UGH does the quest for tone ever end? Everyone should just watch this video and maybe we can all just play through bargain basement gear and never gas again. Is that possible?

http://www.bluessaraceno.com/pedals_afuzz.html

I'm rockin chinese 12AX7's in mine for the gain.. tungsols I thought were initially the same gain wise.. I'll prob. stick with these as I wasn't blown out of the water by the EH and had a noisy one. Right now it is an older JJ in the PI and chinese-chinese-chinese throughout. Booyah!