Introduction

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtatemyballs

Reaction score
Hey folks. Jacob here from Denver.

Just bought a used RM-50 1x12 at music go round for 450. Has a clean and an SL+ module. I'll be looking to get modifications and hopefully add some useful discussion to the board.

Been lurking and GASsing for one of these for a while now!

Nice, welcome to the madness! Stay out of the classifieds though, they lead to financial ruin...

Welcome to the forum, those are two decent stockers you're starting with.....even better when modded.

Thanks guys. I want to have voodoo do the UG-jose mod on my sl+, and I want a salvation shiver mod REAL bad......I have wanted a Shiva for years. I can only pick 1 right now....decisions.

Got to play around with it a bit today. The SL+ is a pretty decent sound. Sounds better than the JCM900 I used to have. The clean module is usable. REALLY clean with no breakup at all. Not much character to that one, but I may just leave it as is since I rarely play clean.

The celestion gt 75 is a very unpleasant speaker. That's gotta go!

What speaker would you guys recommend in this Combo if I were to get a shiver mod?

mrtatemyballs said:
Got to play around with it a bit today. The SL+ is a pretty decent sound. Sounds better than the JCM900 I used to have. The clean module is usable. REALLY clean with no breakup at all. Not much character to that one, but I may just leave it as is since I rarely play clean.

What speaker would you guys recommend in this Combo if I were to get a shiver mod?
Welcome and it sounds like you are off to a great start! If I were you I would trade that SL+ for an XTC. It will give you more of that Bogner flavor your after and has much more bite to play with than the SL+. What do you not like about the C 75?

Welcome to your new obsession :D As far as speakers go, it is just so much a matter of taste and really depends on what kind of music you play. A blues player vs rock vs metal ect.. You can't go wrong with a vintage 30. Seems to cover a lot of ground. I am currently using a cab with a vintage 30 and a classic lead both from wgs. If I could only have one speaker it would be either a lynch or a scumback. The scumback is more of a greenback style and the lynch more evm flavored. I would assume a more modern sounding speaker. Good luck and search speakers here as they are discussed a lot over the years.

Oh god mate...

I only got into mts about 7 or 8 months ago and while I'm in tonal bliss, at least 20 modules later my bank account is beyond empty.

Money well spent :)

Mike361 said:
Welcome to your new obsession :D As far as speakers go, it is just so much a matter of taste and really depends on what kind of music you play. A blues player vs rock vs metal ect.. You can't go wrong with a vintage 30. Seems to cover a lot of ground. I am currently using a cab with a vintage 30 and a classic lead both from wgs. If I could only have one speaker it would be either a lynch or a scumback. The scumback is more of a greenback style and the lynch more evm flavored. I would assume a more modern sounding speaker. Good luck and search speakers here as they are discussed a lot over the years.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a vintage 30, but Bogner used the celestion CL-80 in the Shiva 1x12 combos, so I may go with that. I've never used a CL-80.

The last few amps I've had either had a greenback, G12H30(such a sweet sounding speaker), and a vintage 30 so I am pretty familiar with all 3 of those. The V30 isn't the best for clean sounds, but it sits just right for big drive sounds and has a really tight bottom.

ricknasty1985 said:
Oh god mate...

I only got into mts about 7 or 8 months ago and while I'm in tonal bliss, at least 20 modules later my bank account is beyond empty.

Money well spent :)

HA! Can't do it, bud. I am so broke. I actually had to sell my Orange Rockerverb setup to get some work done on my wifes car. Luckily, I had enough money left over for the RM-50, which I have been eyeballing for a few years now.

Pretty happy with it in stock form, but I can't wait to start tinkering. I am a tinkerer(build pedals and guitars....always chasing better speaker, tube setups). One of the things I love about the Randall is the bias check points on the back. Why every modern amp isn't made this was is beyond me.

BigBrewtus said:
mrtatemyballs said:

Welcome and it sounds like you are off to a great start! If I were you I would trade that SL+ for an XTC. It will give you more of that Bogner flavor your after and has much more bite to play with than the SL+. What do you not like about the C 75?

I might just do that.

The GT 75 is fine. It's not as horrible as I made it out to be, but it is just unpleasant. It sounds harsh to me with no sweetness on the top end or mids at all. It seems to be a flat speaker with a big bottom end, so it would probably sound OK on just about any module. I can see why it was chosen for this amp, but it is not for me.

Hiya,

Anyone willing to put myballs in their name is a welcome addition to the forum! Welcome, you have just begun.

As for the speaker, I'd say V30 is safe. For me personally, I would try to get a Celestion Neodymium as I find it to be the best sounding with MTS and is extra light which is a total bonus if you move your rig a lot. There were specific MTS-voiced neos in the Randall NXT cab series if that helps your quest...

Enjoy!!!

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the addiction. Beware of the classified section, or go Ape **** Crazy like I did!!! :twisted:

A great Forum to be on!!!!!!

I run an RM50 head with a Clean, a Sacred Groove SL+, and a Jaded Faith XTC.
Best speaker I've used with those in an open back 1x12 has been the WGS ET65.
Lately been playing around with a WGS Veteran 30/Celestion G12T-75 mix in a 4x12, but that's a whole different closed-back ball-o-wax...

Well, I got it sounding much better today without changing the speaker. It has ruby 6l6's in there and it was biased to 45! I set it down to 28 and the amp sounded a lot smoother. I also replaced the 1st tube in my SL+ from a JJ to a tung sol and wow. Soooo much cleaner and clearer.

I will probably still change the speaker, but I can wait a bit until I find a good deal on a used one.

Thinking of changing out V1 also since it is a JJ. Not a huge fan of JJ's 12ax7.

Biasing this amp is so easy. I love that.