Is there a way

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unconventional

Reaction score
To have a module switch between 2 types of capacitators in the C3 position.

My treadplate module has the .001 cap mod. With my 2x12 it sounded ok. With my 4x12 and different speakers, it sounds a bit harsh. I don't like the muddy tone it originally had with the .0049

Also wondering this. What's the difference between the grail module and the treadplate module from a component standpoint? Is it possible to make a treadplate into a grail module? As I understand it a grail uses a smaller cap then the .001u right?

Finally what type of capacitators are recommended? There are many flavors, silica, etc.... Where do you buy them? Radio shack doesn't stock hardly anything.

I'm pretty sure Pete does a mod where you can switch the bass response. Not sure if it's actually two caps or not. I'm sure he'll post on here and let you know.

I'm on order with Pete for a modded Treadplate with a 3 way bass response switch, one of the positions is likened to the Grail sound...this should be what you speak of

If you can solder i can give you a instruction for a c3 Switch. So you can switch whenever you use an other cab.
I think the grail C3 is 0,0005 uf.

Greetz

The easiest part is actually soldering the switch/caps in..the hardest part is positioning the switch and milling the front faceplate.. the front faceplates are tough ...IMO of course.

Capacitance in parallel is additive..so you put the smallest you want in place and then just wire a DPDT switch with additional values across the points so to speak...

This is basic electronics but I've never done it myself...just stuck the most appropriate value in c3 I wanted on my modules and stuck with it...the 5% of teh time I actually find myself needing more bass coupling/looser feel..just isn't worth the hassles to me :D

JKD said:
The easiest part is actually soldering the switch/caps in..the hardest part is positioning the switch and milling the front faceplate.. the front faceplates are tough ...IMO of course.

Capacitance in parallel is additive..so you put the smallest you want in place and then just wire a DPDT switch with additional values across the points so to speak...

This is basic electronics but I've never done it myself...just stuck the most appropriate value in c3 I wanted on my modules and stuck with it...the 5% of teh time I actually find myself needing more bass coupling/looser feel..just isn't worth the hassles to me :D

Don't really understand what you are saying, maybe the other guy will have clearer instructions on how to do it. Milling the front panel is not a problem, it's understand the instructions / finding the parts that is the major frusteration for me :lol:

Ok, what JKD want to say is, that a switch has a parrallel circuit. So that means. You have to solder the Cap with the lowest Value in c3 eg 0,0005uf.

The switch has for example three ways, on/off/on.

First on position you have e.g. 0,001 uf
Secon on position you have 0,0022 uf.

So the value when off, you only have 0,0005.
when the switch is on first on position, you have 0,0005 + 0,001 =0,0015
when switch is on second on position, you have 0,0005+ 0,0022 =0,0027

You understand???

here a picture i'm not the best drawer :)
picture

Sorry i'm from Europe, so i don't know where you get such a switch, but the Caps, you get at www.tubeampdoctor.com

Greetz

elpresidente99 said:
Ok, what JKD want to say is, that a switch has a parrallel circuit. So that means. You have to solder the Cap with the lowest Value in c3 eg 0,0005uf.

The switch has for example three ways, on/off/on.

First on position you have e.g. 0,001 uf
Secon on position you have 0,0022 uf.

So the value when off, you only have 0,0005.
when the switch is on first on position, you have 0,0005 + 0,001 =0,0015
when switch is on second on position, you have 0,0005+ 0,0022 =0,0027

You understand???

here a picture i'm not the best drawer :)
picture

Sorry i'm from Europe, so i don't know where you get such a switch, but the Caps, you get at www.tubeampdoctor.com

Greetz

Thanks, nobody seems to have the .0005uf, any ideas?

I've searced everywhere for a .0005uf cap.

Obviously this mod is not going to happen.

Sorry if I sound pissed, it's just that every single time set out to do something it becomes a specialty item that nobody can locate. That side you mentioned El Presidente is in Europe as well, but thatnks. They don't have the .0005 either.

Kevin

Pretty sure I ordered my 500pf online....might have been mouser electronics.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_81&products_id=540

0,0005uf is the same like 500pf. I think this silva mica would fit. But it is very very tight. Which values do you want

I would prefer 0,0005 then 0,0005 +0,0005= 0,001 and 0,0005 + 0,0022= 0,0027.

Greetz

elpresidente99 said:
http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_81&products_id=540

0,0005uf is the same like 500pf. I think this silva mica would fit. But it is very very tight. Which values do you want

I would prefer 0,0005 then 0,0005 +0,0005= 0,001 and 0,0005 + 0,0022= 0,0027.

Greetz

I have currently a .001u in my treadplate. I don't really need 3 values, but would like to switch between .001 and .0005 but without a switch, I don't see how that's possible. The switches online are only huge ones.

www.tubedepot.com had them.

Here's what I got, is this right?

Orange Drop 715 Series
.001?F / 600V cp-od715-001-600v 5.0 $0.55

Orange Drop 715 Series
.0015?F / 600V cp-od715-0015-600v 5.0 $0.55

Silver Mica 500pF / 500V cp-sm-500-500v 5.0 $0.60

So the 500PF Silver Mice is essentially .0005 right?

unconventional said:
www.tubedepot.com had them.

Here's what I got, is this right?

Orange Drop 715 Series
.001?F / 600V cp-od715-001-600v 5.0 $0.55

Orange Drop 715 Series
.0015?F / 600V cp-od715-0015-600v 5.0 $0.55

Silver Mica 500pF / 500V cp-sm-500-500v 5.0 $0.60

So the 500PF Silver Mice is essentially .0005 right?

Yes..you did good.

No I did bad, I buy 4 switches.

2 mini switches with 6 prongs, on/off/on the problem is when you switch it to on, it doesn't stick, it goes back to the off position. WTF?

2 mini switches with 3 prongs, figuring I could do a 2 capacitator thing
same thing, on/off/on and it goes back to the off position, meaning it doesn't stick in the on position.

Is there a way to do 2 capacitators as I found another on/off/on switch at Radio Shack with 3 prongs that does stick in eithe of the 3 positions.

Unconventional....I have been in your posaition many,many times...I respect what your trying to do...but maybe we can all save you some hassles..
maybe just have Pete (OKStrat) do the mod for you.

I have owned tons of gear and tried many may rigs and in my experience there is a time to let a pro do it. Pete probably already has the parts, Pete probably has already the bit to drill the face plate (PROPERLY) and probably has all the experience to do it once and do it right.
It would likely be cheaper,faster and better to have him (or another pro) do this 2 way mod for you.
And no I dont get anything by saying this..just trying to help.

Well, I've emailed him several times. He does not email back, so obviously he's too busy.

I have been doing this type of thing forever, all I need is the correct parts and I'm all set.

I did secure a switch today, wired it up, new blue LED and I'm good.

The switch is a bit larger than I'd like but whatever.

Looks clean, sounds mind

thanks

Let us see how it turns out when you have it installed. I think they are a badass feature on the Eggies and wish some randall modules had them.