Jaded Faith Plexi/Tweed! Just got time to play it for real

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sepherus

Reaction score
I had Rob build me his Plexi/Tweed on a 1086 I scored that needed some repair. I asked for a tight normal loose, bright hardwired on since the 1086 has none and gain boost also. He left the gain boost where it was before, and put the other 2 on the face like normal. I got a chance to play it with a few guitars at a real volume level today instead of the "everyone else is asleep" volume I normally get to play at.

I only need 5 words to describe it: Most versatile module I own!

On top of that the various sounds are also phenomenal! The cleans have just enough spank and sparkle, the grit comes on slow with the low gain mode into a nice crunch. The gain switch flipped brings it up pretty high, but not overly so. It's more like a really nice rock lead sound, or hard rock rhythm. I still need an OD pedal boost for most metal territory, which also sounds awesome. Flip the switch to plexi and a bit of the sparkle goes away to be replaced by a massive yet smooth midrange all the current production Marshalls wish they had. All the gain modes stay the same, just a different tone stack.

I think Rob picked a different value for the bright hardwire since it doesn't make my distortion, fuzz and OD pedals have that annoying almost octave up sound that my stock tweed does with the gain really low and the bright engaged. It could just be the fact that his work is superior to an automated machine in a foreign country. I still have to turn the highs down a little on them, but not much more than normal. Even if I don't it is still smooth, but just a little bright for my tastes. The stock Tweed gets a bit brittle even without the pedals.

I even played some seven string guitars through it to see how it handled the low notes. It loved them. The tight switch didn't sound bad in any setting then either, just a different feel. I know that some times the low end can get muddy and not just loose, but even at the loose setting and the bass and density turned up a bit it handles just fine.

Overall I have to say I give it an A+ all around. Next I'm going to have to plug my GFs P-Bass in and see how it handles that. The Tweed is based on the Fender BASSman after all. :lol:[/b]

Just don't turn the volumes up past noon. Bass sounds great through a clean module with the volumes maxed, but it doesn't sound great when you blow two fuses and two resistors :lol:

Public service pic:

JadedFaithPlexiTweed.jpg

Shinozoku said:
Just don't turn the volumes up past noon. Bass sounds great through a clean module with the volumes maxed, but it doesn't sound great when you blow two fuses and two resistors :lol:

Yeah, I'm on an RM20 combo, so that would be pretty easy to do. It sounded pretty bad *** though even at lower volumes. The gain knob and switch just thickened up the tone like it does on any good bass amp, and it still had plenty of shake, rumble, and clarity. It makes me wish I had a more powerful head version of these amps so I could play it through some "proper" bass speakers without as much worry. Oh well. I don't ever play out any more so no worries there.

Clips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you not just mod it with more gain on tap so you dont have to use a boost?It sounds like something I would be interested in if that were the case....

I wish I could, but my computer is a 2007 macbook that can hardly play YouTube videos without freezing up for a bit. In fact, it rarely doesn't freeze up with that sort of stuff. If I end up some place with my amp that has a better means of recording, I'll give it a shot.