John Sykes tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
Does somebody make a module that nails John Sykes' smooth, sustaining tone?

JD said:

IMO, I think the Voodoo Amps UG Jose is as close as you're going to get in the MTS series. It pretty much nails it, hands down.

IMHO, the Judge does this very well...maybe consider that module. There is a clip on youtube.
GtrGeorge

JD said:

I have both the Judge and Voodoo Jose UG and both can do this- (have not tried a Scorch but clips are awesome) The Voodoo amps Jose UG can sound a lot like the Judge, then can be dialed up way more in gain and compression via internal trim pots.

So is Syke's tone more Marshall or more Mesa? I was doing some reading and see he used Mesa amps in the late 80's.

Both...
"AMPS: John uses Marshall amps and Mesa Boogie amps. For the last ten + years of Thin Lizzy tours or Sykes tours, John has been plugging his Les Paul straight into one 50 watt JCM 800 Marshall head running in to one Marshall 4x12 (or one of his custom-made made 4x12's). A back-up 50 watt JCM 800 Marshall and 4x12 are also on stage ready to go should the first amp go down.

For much of the Whitesnake '87 album and first Blue Murder album John used 2 Mesa Boogie Coliseum heads. These amps have a Mark III pre-amp section but use six 6L6 power tubes--giving the amps180 watts each! John also owns several Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+'s, Mark III's and some rack mounted Mesa Dual Recto heads. Other Mesa Boogie equipment includes a Tri-Axis preamp and a Strategy 500 Power Amp.

For speaker cabinets, John uses Marshall 4x12 cabinets, Mesa Boogie metal grill "Half Back" 4x12 cabinets, Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cabinets and some custom made 4x12 cabinets."

Here:
http://www.johnsykes.com/gear.html

Love that vintage Mesa Boogie sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDU3E5OFzzk

I thought the Scorch offered a very close approximation of his rhythm sound from that era ('87-'89), but it was too dark to replicate the lead tones. Unfortunately, no single module I've owned to this point (and I've owned quite a few) has been capable of doing both.

JD said:
So is Syke's tone more Marshall or more Mesa? I was doing some reading and see he used Mesa amps in the late 80's.

I've been told that on the classic "Whitesnake" album, he used a Jose Arredondo modified Marshall for the entire record.

Kapo_Polenton said:
MikeP, which did you prefer for early VH type tones? The Jose Voodoo mod or the BE?

Neither. The SG MK22 can nail the early VH tones, especially VHII and Fair Warning. IMO, those were his best tones.

Well, I have a couple strong suggestions, but am still unsure who's mod to go after.

I'd love to hear this tone come out of my Randall... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyjRDUe4-8E

Mike P...
it seems you know the LA scene well....help me out,here.
I recall Eddie saying at one point a guy named Jose modded hos Flanger and a few other things. Is it Arredondo he was speaking of?
If so...why did Eddie later recant that and say he was just throwing the guy a bone, and he never really did modify any of his gear?
Wassup with all that?

PS: Back OT...If you go and find early John Sykes Video from Lizzie club gigs you can see the sound is so much in his hands,,,,I was so dissapointed when he was no longer in WhiteSnake. To me, the band died that instant..and Coveredale carried on for years with an empty shell of its former power.
Mesa or Marshall he wrenched the inputs to get what he wanted..an still does!!!!
Long Live John Sykes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
Mike P...
it seems you know the LA scene well....help me out,here.
I recall Eddie saying at one point a guy named Jose modded his Flanger and a few other things. Is it Arredondo he was speaking of?
If so...why did Eddie later recant that and say he was just throwing the guy a bone, and he never really did modify any of his gear?
Wassup with all that?

Hey George,

The best answer that I have for you in a public forum is to never believe anything that any guitarist says in print. Most are trying to fool everyone and those who aren't, aren't being honest.

Sorry, man.