Just a heads up to anyone thinking of trying 6v6's...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried out two 6v6Gt Tung-Sols with a pair of Tung-Sol EL34B's and the EL34's ended up blowing a week later.

So I tried all 6v6's....blew every fuse in the amp, including ones you have to take the amp apart to get to...

Perhaps I didn't do enough research, but it was an expensive mistake and I thought I should post on it incase anyone else is thinking of trying this.

The amp I did this with was an RM100C2 100 watt, 2x12 version. Worked fine for a few hours before it blew all that stuff...

The ONLY 6V6's that will work in the RM100, RM50, or RT2/50
are JJ's. They're made to take the plate voltage (500 volts) and they work well. Look up the posts on the forum and also on the Egnater web site.

My amp tech said those might work fine the JJ's. I guess I should revise this to say that the Tung-sol and TAD ones that I tried did not work. JJ's are made to handle higher voltages and seem to work fine.

I talked to Bob at Eurotubes before I got a quad of 6V6's for my Mesa power amp. He had me take the plate voltage and email him the results...from there, he sent out a quad that would work for the voltage since the Mesa has fixed Bias. Highly recommended...

Latest posts