KH3 or Ultra XL?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KH3 or Ultra XL?

• KH3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ultra XL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harsh

Reaction score
Guys, I need to buy a new module and I'm a bit torn between the two. Being a bit low on cash ATM, I'm leaning more towards the UXL. The KH3 is of course, a lot more expensive than the UXL, but is it a whole lot better? :?:

If anyone has experience with both, what are the pros and cons? Please vote!

Cheers

Those are two of my favorite stock modules. The KH3 is more versatile to me and would probably be my choice on that criteria. But for a heavy tone I actually prefer the XL Plus. Both are great modules.

Depends on what do you plan to use it for, and your style. The KH3 is a very tight, articulate module but you gotta squeeze the crap outta your neck to get sustain and fluid feel without a pedal. Really good for fast riffs where you pick each note. It's a great high-gain rhythm module too. The XL is an awesome lead module; great feedback, sustain, great for hammer-ons, harmonics, etc...but is almost too much gain for tight rhythm work. Just one player's opinion tho!

dboy5150 said:
Depends on what do you plan to use it for, and your style. The KH3 is a very tight, articulate module but you gotta squeeze the crap outta your neck to get sustain and fluid feel without a pedal. Really good for fast riffs where you pick each note. It's a great high-gain rhythm module too. The XL is an awesome lead module; great feedback, sustain, great for hammer-ons, harmonics, etc...but is almost too much gain for tight rhythm work. Just one player's opinion tho!

Hey Harsha !

That?s why I love the KH3. I?m more into tight rhythm guitar playing and for the little lead guitar I play the KH3 is fine.

Wow...looks quite unanimous - I'm quite surprised! :shock:

Thanks everyone, this really helps.

I don't know if this will help in your decision:

UltraXL excels for super saturated, quick attack, modern metal sound...this thing will sound like and ENGL if you boost it.

KH3 is just as tight but is a dry feeling module even with all the gain but sounds a but more 'natural' than the UltraXL...can sound congested/blankety in the mids depending on speakers/how it's dialed.

I've got both and they're both really different.

The KH3 is clearer, tighter, not quite as gainy

The UltraXL is thicker, chunkier, and has a ton of gain.

Get both.

I didn't vote, as I haven't played an XL, but I find that boosting the KH3 ever so slightly with an overdrive (a Boss OD-1, in my case) makes it much more fluid, and even clears up the mids a bit.

i know what you mean , i'm getting mine modded for that, more gain less dry more liquid, my ts-9 pretty much does that but i don't like using a boost at band volume or at all really for that matter. they should have put more gain on it stock.

Thank you all!

I'm just not into using pedals - the last time I used pedals was about 15 years ago!

But, I totally agree with the last post. These modules should come with more gain. Whats the point of getting a high gain module and then boosting it coz it doesnt have enough gain? :lol:

agreed, imo most of the high gain modules are mislabeled mid gain modules