Known good/bad years or serial number ranges for RM100s?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Been lurking for awhile, first post here. I'm shopping around for a used RM100 (or Lynch Box). I am communicating with several potential sellers - are there any known significant good or bad variances between model years, or even specific serial number ranges?

I know for example with older Mesa Boogie Rectifier heads there were a bunch of revisions, changes to the supplier/part numbers for transformers, capacitors, etc. over the years. Is there that kind of variation with the RM100/MTS family?

Is there a guide or post somewhere that talks about that sort of info? I searched around but didn't see any- please don't nuke me if it is a sticky somewhere that I missed.

Currently a 2003 RM100 is the leading candidate for purchase, I'd particularly like to know if the 2003 ones have any known quirks or benefits over other years.

Thanks!

I doubt there is anything to what you are asking.....however I can tell you the early production RM 100 I had was very buggy......I would guess that Randall has gotten better with it's newer models.....kind of like alot things these days.....the newer stuff is typically better after they iron out the problems...

shred-o-holic said:
I doubt there is anything to what you are asking.....however I can tell you the early production RM 100 I had was very buggy......I would guess that Randall has gotten better with it's newer models.....kind of like alot things these days.....the newer stuff is typically better after they iron out the problems...

Thanks- what year constitutes early?

I had a local dealer tell me he had a ton of problems with repairs for their modular stuff when it first came out, he just started carrying it again - he has 1 new 2008 RM100 from Randall, but has not sold any yet to judge. Just want to make sure I am not buying into a known problem child year.

shred-o-holic said:
2003? They've been around that long? I had one three years ago that was an '04 I think?

I am going off the serial number and another post on here that talked about the digit sequencing for month/year, it looks like June 2003 manufacture. There was another post that talked about 2003 ones also. Maybe that is bad info??

Katash said:
so are the early RM100s buggy??

That is what I am trying to find out in this post! There are horror stories out there about problems with the MTS series, I just don't know if it is luck of the draw or prior to a certain model year or serial number range. Plenty of big fans out there who have reported no problems at all.

I had a local dealer with 25+ years experience tell me he had so many repairs when they first came out he stopped carrying them, but recently started carrying them again & thinks they are much more reliable now.

anyone? I am looking at a bunch of different used ones, trying to find out if there are any notoriously bad model years.

Thanks. BTW I just saw a pic you posted of your "customized" logo on your RM100 head in another thread, very funny!

Something like this might be good to sticky. For example, MTS amps from 200x-200y or serial number around x number might be more prone to breaking down, etc. Just so people who are coming into the MTS world buying used will have more warning :)

Shinozoku said:
Something like this might be good to sticky. For example, MTS amps from 200x-200y or serial number around x number might be more prone to breaking down, etc. Just so people who are coming into the MTS world buying used will have more warning :)

The sticky idea is great... if there was some consensus that there really are known good/bad ranges of years/serial numbers, which so far hasn't come up. "Luck of the draw" seems to be the only feedback about what makes a good one from a bad one.

Two things led to me asking about this- the large variance in owner opinions about the reliability of the MTS series heads on multiple forums, and some other things I had read on the web that talked about the subtle differences in other manufacturers' heads. There was a great post (that I cannot find again for the life of me- if I do I will post it) about this sort of thing in Mesa rectifiers,which detailed pictures of the differences in parts and features from the very first 2 channel early models up to the current 3 channel models. We need something like that for the Randall MTS heads.

EDIT: found the Mesa-related link I was talking about for comparison. This is more oriented on identifying particularly desirable tone variations, not "lemon" serial numbers/years, but you get the general idea:

http://www.theboogiearchives.com/2ch_dual_recto.html

9985 said:
Shinozoku said:

The sticky idea is great... if there was some consensus that there really are known good/bad ranges of years/serial numbers, which so far hasn't come up. "Luck of the draw" seems to be the only feedback about what makes a good one from a bad one.

Two things led to me asking about this- the large variance in owner opinions about the reliability of the MTS series heads on multiple forums, and some other things I had read on the web that talked about the subtle differences in other manufacturers' heads. There was a great post (that I cannot find again for the life of me- if I do I will post it) about this sort of thing in Mesa rectifiers,which detailed pictures of the differences in parts and features from the very first 2 channel early models up to the current 3 channel models. We need something like that for the Randall MTS heads.

EDIT: found the Mesa-related link I was talking about for comparison. This is more oriented on identifying particularly desirable tone variations, not "lemon" serial numbers/years, but you get the general idea:

http://www.theboogiearchives.com/2ch_dual_recto.html

Bump... well, I pulled the trigger on a used June 2003 RM100, so this is a bit of a moot point for my personal shopping- still think it is a good sticky topic if we can get some reliable info.