Lack of Gain?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfroSamurai

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently acquired a RM50 head. I've been playing it through an xtc and treadplate modules and I find that there is a serious lack of gain. I mean, there is a decent amount of it, but I heard the demos on youtube and I got like half the gain of those, thats why Im asking. Is this a problem of the modules? Should I replace the preamp tubes there? Im pretty sure that the tubes there are jj's 12ax7.

As for equipment, Im using a ibanez rga 321 with a pair of breeds through a orange ppc212 (v30).

So, where's the gain? :cry:

Thanks for the help!

How old are the tubes?

Have you checked the power tube bias with a multimeter and is it set within Randall specification (see manual) for the type of tubes in it?

Also check and s ee if both power tubes are seated correctly. I got vintage Plexi gain from my SL+ when one of my power tubes was crooked from being jarred in transit.

The XTC doesn't have a lot of gain, perceivably anyway, like a lot of other hi gainers. If you saw any of Pete's (gigmods) XTC clips on youtube then be aware that he adds a lot of gain to module.

My XTC has a hi gain rated tube in V2 and I also boost it with a custom TS9. The gain is set to 1 o'clock, so there's plenty of gain.

Alright, I checked the bias and Im running kt88's at 44mv. The tubes are also well placed in the head, so I dont know if the problem is coming from the power tubes.,

As for the preamp tubes, the ones in the modules look fine. I havent checked the ones inside the amp, basically because I dont know how to pull of the chassis :roll:, so it will be cool if someone tell me how to remove it.

Thanks for helping!

this module as well as most al the high gain randall stuff just doesn't have any balls. you'll have to get your stuff modded for that. the ultra and the xl are the only modules with gain

Running an Ibanez guitar you will need a modification to help out the girth

Les Pauls have plenty of gain, I plug in nonGribsons into a stock module and it just isn't enough

A friend of mine came yesterday with a bunch of preamp tubes. So I swapped all the tubes (preamp in the head and modules) and....the gain was back!

Still didnt like the tone Im getting out of it, but at least I know the head is working fine.

Thanks for the help!