LB100 efects loop..Randall FX loops horrible!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
Seriously guys, how did lynch put his stamp of approval on an amp that can only do line level effects? everything clips... even the gmajor caused a volume drop for me or else it clipped. Is the ebtech the answer? can't see myself shipping this boat anchor of an amp to Rob in the states then paying to get it back, i'll be dropping hundreds. I'm thinking a cheap 80's digital delay to throw in there or not bothering with effects which makes this amp useless live to me as I am not interested in carting around wet/dry rig to jams and such.. so much for using my TC flashback in the loop. :?

I actually use a TC Flashback X4 in the loop for all my trade shows and in my personal rig. Have you tried it? If so, what issues are you having?

Artists put their names on anything as long as they are paid for it. I wouldn't put much stock in marketing or name dropping. :wink:

Are you using series or parallel loop rob? I'm headed to work so I can't confirm but maybe I messed up and was in the wrong loop. All I know is that I remember thinking "this sucks" with my flashback and my other delays were worse!(tried on other occasions in correct loop) For reference I like the 2290 setting. Delay isn't super long either.

I use a RP1000 in the series loop (4CM) with no troubles at all. Maybe I am just lucky?

I also have the para loop jumpered in case I want to use the effects knob as an extra tube boost. I usually keep that at noon to 1:00.

Didn't Bruce offer some type of box to fix this a year or so ago?

The RP unit is line level though.. hence no issues there. My Gmajor2 was line level as well but it still wasn't ideal. These are extremely finicky loops. Metro zero loss effects loop is the best loop running in my experience. Probably way too complicated to install one of those on this amp. I'll mess with my flashback again when i get home. Fingers crossed because i'm lovin the tones I am getting from my friedman brahma and weber legacies right now. My own hotrodded brahma sounds like a splawn to my ears now. Super tight, clear, wicked.

Think of the master volume on the module as an effect loop send level. If you're running the volume on a module past twelve o'clock, you will likely overdrive the effects in the loop. I have seen a lot of posts about running the module volume higher to open it up but doing this is going to cause problems if you're trying to use effects in your loops. There is always going to be a compromise when trying to volume match between clean and dirty modules and effect send levels.

MarcoR said:
Think of the master volume on the module as an effect loop send level. If you're running the volume on a module past twelve o'clock, you will likely overdrive the effects in the loop. I have seen a lot of posts about running the module volume higher to open it up but doing this is going to cause problems if you're trying to use effects in your loops. There is always going to be a compromise when trying to volume match between clean and dirty modules and effect send levels.

Here's the thing though.. while I understand that this is a limiting factor on these amps, this is a huge FAIL as I find that these modules need to be at the 1-2 o clock point to really compete with the real amps they mimmick. The level I set the module volume at should not affect clipping in the loop. My JCM800 has a metro loop and i can run it flat out with no degradation of tone in the loop. It is a very overlooked component of these amps if you ask me. It makes the amp useless for live use unless you go with effects in front of the amp. Some delays sound alright there but most don't cut it.

Kapo_Polenton said:
MarcoR said:

Here's the thing though.. while I understand that this is a limiting factor on these amps, this is a huge FAIL as I find that these modules need to be at the 1-2 o clock point to really compete with the real amps they mimmick. The level I set the module volume at should not affect clipping in the loop. My JCM800 has a metro loop and i can run it flat out with no degradation of tone in the loop. It is a very overlooked component of these amps if you ask me. It makes the amp useless for live use unless you go with effects in front of the amp. Some delays sound alright there but most don't cut it.

Yeah, that's too bad...

Kapo_Polenton said:
MarcoR said:

I'm in the same boat as you OP. Check my "rm50 effects loop" thread right above yours. I got the effects working fine, but the amp doesn't sound nearly as good with the module volumes that low.

Kapo_Polenton said:

It's a bit melodramatic to say that it makes the amp useless for live use. It is the amp I use live. With effects in the loop. It is a compromise. But most things are. Three different modules live aren't going to precisely emulate the amps they are copying, unless each of the original amps uses the same power section as the RM100 the modules are in.

I use a boss dd20 in line level mode and have great results. But, I don't usually run the module volume past noon. I kinda like the power amp to open up a little. I will try the module volume higher to se if that effects the dd20 and get back.

VitaminG said:
Kapo_Polenton said:

It's a bit melodramatic to say that it makes the amp useless for live use. It is the amp I use live. With effects in the loop. It is a compromise. But most things are. Three different modules live aren't going to precisely emulate the amps they are copying, unless each of the original amps uses the same power section as the RM100 the modules are in.

What can i say, i'm a passionate type of guy!! also opinions are subjective as we all know. For me, module volume down even with master opened up sounds thin and more buzzy... opened up at 2 PLUS MV and you are cookin. If you check the vid where lynch is messing with his brahma/plexi module with D. Friedman, you'll notice he also has the module at 2 oclock and opened up a tad on the MV. Lynch runs a lot of effects out front these days so maybe it is not a concern for him. (especially seeing as he doesn't even play his lynch box lol) I'll def record and add verb/delay to the recorded tone with the amp but for me, this amp can't match my other amp unless that module vol is up.

As for the flashback, no go. probably because i play the modules where they are, the signal clips, adds some distortion to the sound, and the delay is not that audible. JF how are you using yours? Where do you set your module volume? thanks for the feed back guys..

I contacted Bruce about the loop gizmo thingy. He has none and is not planning on making any more.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Can you divulge any info until it is ready? We talking about a stand alone box?

I won't ruin any big release plans for Rob, but I have the prototype. It was put on the Jaded Faith backburner after the NY Amp Show while JF was swamped with mods. Let's keep it at: it's stand alone, compact and it works for 90%+ of my needs. I ran into a small glitch with a certain pedal I use that doesn't play nice in the current state. Rob and I will be in contact to work that out... hopefully. :) If we can work this little glitch out, it's perfect for my needs. I hope I didn't speak out of turn, Rob.

Latest posts