Level Problems with external Compressor

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Ive got a problem. Ive got a SPL kultube Compressor, that i want to rack up through my series loop on my RM100. I tried it , and it drops in volume heaps and is losing all bass and is quite a bit more distorted.

Im thinking its because the line level outputs/inputs of the RM100 and the inputs/outputs are mismatched. Only thing i can find in the RM100 manual is that the loop is line level.

This is an excerpt of the SPL Kultube manual.

"Analog XLR and RCA jacks
Symmetrical XLR and RCA jacks are used for analog in- and outputs. An analog
mixing console is generally connected here (Insert Send/Return). Since the
RCA and XLR jacks are wired in parallel, unbalanced operation of the RCA
jack will have the same effect on the XLR jack and vice-versa. The Kultube is
configured for a nominal level of +4dBu and can handle an input level of max.
25 dBu, with max. +23 dBu available on the output. It is recommended to drive
the Kultube with a signal level of between 0 dBu and 12 dBu ? this being the
optimum drive range for signal processing in which also the signal-to-noise
ratio is the best."

Anyone know if Im on the right track , and if I can fix this somehow?[/code]

I don't think a compressor in an amp loop is the right place. If you must use one- which I disagree with as guitar amps are already super compressed on their own- put it in front of the amp. In the loop is squashing the signal down to nothing

Ok cool guys, I dont know what the problem is then. In response to cranky, im really just trying it out for creative purposes to see how I go with it. Not for anything serious. Will try some other options.

Also Looking at the Boss GT10 with some interest, and i noticed that in there manual its pasted below, it seems that the input/return will not be at the right level for the effects loops. My question then is, do any of you using the GT10 find that you need something like an ebtech LLS, a line level selector , or do you find that the internal line level output option in the GT10 good enough?

GT-10: Guitar Effects Processor
AD Conversion
24-bit + AF method
DA Conversion
24-bit
Sampling Frequency
44.1 kHz
Program Memories
400: 200(user) + 200(preset)
Nominal Input Level
INPUT: -10 dBu
RETURN: -10 dBu
Input Impedance
INPUT: 1 M ohm
RETURN: 220 k ohms
Nominal Output Level
OUTPUT: -10 dBu / +4 dBu
SEND: -10 dBu
Output Impedance
OUTPUT: 2 k ohms
SEND: 3 k ohms
Dynamic Range
100 dB or greater (IHF-A)

crankyrayhanky said:
I don't think a compressor in an amp loop is the right place. If you must use one- which I disagree with as guitar amps are already super compressed on their own- put it in front of the amp. In the loop is squashing the signal down to nothing
+1 on that....Compressors should come as close to the guitar input as possible. Robert Keely suggest that using a comp right after a good quality overdrive is the best configuration.