Marshall Higher Gain- Total confusion

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulf

Reaction score
I am getting confused with all the different Marshall HiGain modules available.

Plexi - Brown - SL+ - Mr. Scary and next Brahma...

Do we have additional sound examples here. Randall's clips don't help me much. I'd like to track down a mid intensive Kerry King tone (with TS-808 upfront) as well as a crunchy AC/DC.
So far, I checked an unmodded SL+ that was too muddy and the MID EQ wasn't that efficient.

Any help appreciated. Ulf

I would rank them this way

Plexi - Brahma - Brown - SL+ - Mr. Scary

Hey guys;
I had to move the hosting of my samples; so there are three of the links that are not valid (I think "Ultra Lead", "XTC" and "Ultra"??)
I can't seem to find them on my machines here; so when I tried to pull them off the old server and move them to my new host; it appears that I'm over the bandwidth limit for a few more days; then I can get those clips and re-host them.

If anybody has those three clips of mine; please email 'em to [email protected] so I can put them on the new host.

Sorry guys; I really need to record some new clips...

ned said:
I would rank them this way

Plexi - Brahma - Brown - SL+ - Mr. Scary

Wow I need to check my newly required Brown module, its gain to me falls way below my SL+ and my Mr. Scary module - weird.

jimosity said:
Hey guys;
I had to move the hosting of my samples; so there are three of the links that are not valid (I think "Ultra Lead", "XTC" and "Ultra"??)
I can't seem to find them on my machines here; so when I tried to pull them off the old server and move them to my new host; it appears that I'm over the bandwidth limit for a few more days; then I can get those clips and re-host them.

If anybody has those three clips of mine; please email 'em to [email protected] so I can put them on the new host.

Sorry guys; I really need to record some new clips...

Email sent about samples.

Now that the Brahma is out, we should note that the Brahma is first and then the Plexi in the gain ranking and followed by the same as above--Brown, SL+ and Scary having the most gain. The Brahma is very low gain--warm, but fires up nicely if you are playing loud. It's more like an actual '68 unmodded plexi--and very top endy. Lynch sometimes uses a pedal in front of it.

To my ears, the SL+ has as much gain as Mr. Scary, if not more.

Ulf, if you're looking for a mid-heavy Kerry King type tone, I'd suggest you try an XTC. Plenty of mids on tap.

Yah, the SL and the Scary are probably pretty close, to me its...
Brahma with the least gain, then the Plexi, Brown, and I'd give the Scary a teensy edge over the SL--but they are indeed comparable. But the Scary is voiced much differently then the SL. Some might compare it to... what other amp??