Mercury Magnetics O T Installation AT YOUR OWN RISK

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaiel

Reaction score
Soulinsane originally provided instructions for installing the tranny, but no one has heard from him in awhile. Does anyone have a copy of the these instructions or any info before I install this. I am well versed in the dangers and precautions of tube amp repairs. I have a new OT and Choke and wanted to save myself some time if anyone had information.
thanks

THIS APPLIES TO THE RM100 ONLY

I replaced both last night. Here is what I did.
"AT YOUR OWN RISK"
If you do not have any experience with tube amp repairs DO NOT attempt this. The voltages stored in the Large Capacitors are lethal and will at least make you **** sorry you put your hand in there where you shouldn't.

Disconnect the following:
All the cables including the "POWER CABLE"
Make sure both switches are "ON"
(This will discharge the capacitors after approximately 30 minutes)
Remove ALL the tubes
Pull the chassis

OUTPUT TRANSFORMER
The output transformer wiring is color coded the same as the stock tranny.
Note the position and color of each lead and disconnect.
Unbolt the transformer.
Bolt the new transformer down with the (2) rear (closest to the rear panel) bolts
Index the (2) front holes with a hole punch
Remove the tranny and drill the holes
Bolt the transformer down
Cut each wire to length one at a time solder the wire then crimp the new female spade connectors

THE CHOKE
Unplug the connectors
(you do not have to note the direction of the connectors)
Unbolt the choke
Bolt the new choke in
Cut each wire to length one at a time solder the wire then crimp the new female spade connector

Assemble the amp in the reverse order of disassembly

Thanks Michaiel. I am taking this to a tech since I have no knowledge of electronics AT ALL - and because they guy is only going to charge $35.

I thought there was a need to remove or move some of the pc boards inside and I was hoping to give the tech a heads up about any problems people may have had doing this.

Sounds like it is pretty straight forward.

Thanks again.
Ron

Michaiel,
Just saw this now, been holed up with a back injury this week pretty bad. Looks like the Upgrade went well. How does it sound now? That amp was always pretty sweet and a workhorse for me, so I imagine it's even better now.

Thanks for sending the power supply for the GCX too. Looking forward to getting to that project as soon as I am able to get around better.
Rob

Ron $35.00 sounds like a decent price. Hope it works out for you. I really like mine so far.

Rob
Sorry to hear about your back. The amp immediately sounded different. More articulate. Bobby shot me a pm about the install originally and said to expect the amp to change in stages as the transformer breaks in. I will keep you posted, but so far the amp is great!

The amp gets better with every day. It seems to have taken about 20 hours of playing before I didnt notice any more audible change.

rmilbeck said:
Who is the current source for MM transformers these days?

Russ
Not sure but these guys are about 25/30 minutes from where I live.Super cool people on the phone as I was gonna take my RT down there to see about some upgrades but just can't find the time!But they were really nice people and wouldn't hesitate to just call direct and find out Russ.

What is the difference between an output and power transformer? Which one is more important as far as tone? Does anyone have a picture of what they look like?

Output tranny is more important then the Power tranny when it comes to tone. I replaced mine with a mercury and FREAKING LOVE IT!!!
Mine has a Chrome bell cover on it. I will try to get some pics posted. I think I have some pics in another thread here called "MY JAMMIN ROOM"
Had the amp out of the shell.

Dan