mercury magnetics ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rectifier

Reaction score
has anyone installed or even thought about trying mercury magnetics trannys in the rm100?.. it looks like an expensive experiment....
Ot $260.00
Pt $325.00
choke $30.00

plus installation.... anyone believe the hype. besides me..

:D

Definately contemplated replacing the OT when I had the Lynch Box....never been that happy with the sound of the 100Watters...there's a MM guy (tech or dealer..not sure which) on the board here...Soulinsane I think.

i have been emailing back and forth with patrick from MM.. he is gonna find a tech/dealer in georgia for me... a buddy of mine replaced the OT on his rectifier, thats what got me started on this... it cleaned it up and didnt sound smothered...i have a dual rec and we a/b them...his was alot brighter.

Soulinsane is your guy here. He is an authorized MM dealer and can sell to you at a discount. I am probably the only guy on here with a MM OT in one of my RM100's. It's bad ***, period. Much better than my other RM100 and well worth the cash. It's my number one gigging head.

What would be the ONE key component to replace if you were going to? I mean, which of the three would make the most noticeable difference? I'm assuming the OT?

Shinozoku,, you beat me to it...that was the question that needed to be asked..... jaded thanks for your input....what was better about the MM....and do you guys think this is a job for a tech or can the average joe replace the OT and choke?

The OT is the main improvement for sure. You can do it yourself if you are handy. I few wires to cut and splice and two new mounting holes to drill and you are done. I could do another in under an hour. Mine took almost 3 because the ohm selector switch fell apart (be carefull, it's flimsy!) and I had to put it back together.

With the new OT, it is more focused and clear. I can play with it at much lower volume settings on stage yet still hear myself better than stock. The whole amp tightens up and sings better now.

rectifier said:
Shinozoku,, you beat me to it...that was the question that needed to be asked..... jaded thanks for your input....what was better about the MM....and do you guys think this is a job for a tech or can the average joe replace the OT and choke?
:lol: Great minds think alike, I suppose.

Now, for another quesition, what noticeable changes does the PT make? I noticed it's more expensive, and I'm relieved that it's the two cheaper components that are most highly reccommended for replacement :)

That would be something you would look into if yours was running hot, which mine does not. The PT provides the high voltages to all the tubes and whatnot. It has been entertained that the stock PT can't power KT88's, but I run a pair of KT88's and EL34L's in both my RM100's with no issues at all. More performance than tonal.

The PT makes some difference in tone but not as much as the OT. Let me know if you what anything. I can get you a discount and walk you through installing the units should you decide to do it yourself.

I've got some big spending on the horizon for other personal reasons, but once I get some more money in my account (even with your discount the purchase would still probably empty my checking account ;)), I'll definitely consider it. I want some more modules and tubes too...

They are a big investment but transformers are the back bone of any tube amp. The Mercury Magnetic PT for the RM100 has the Fatstack feature and its a monster. It has more iron and copper than the stock PT to minimize tone drift give the amp more stability and headroom.