Mercury OT and choke installed! WOW

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MYDEMISE

Reaction score
Finally picked up the infamous Merury Magnetics output transformer and choke. I am in the process of doing some Voodoo Amps soundclips both before and after the Voodoo and Mercury upgrade. I already have an after clip of a Voodoo modded plexi I had(without the M.M. OT / choke) here on the soundclips page. I am kicking myself for selling it due to hard times so there will not be an after transformer clip of that one apologies.

The clips I am doing are the Voodoo modded
RECTO
SL+
XTC

I did a small snippet of a clip before and after the choke only and then with both the choke and transformer as well. I had 2 JJ E34LS and 2 JJ 6L6 tubes in it tonight for that little diddy. The clips I will be doing for Voodoo Amps will have matching tubes to the older (before clips I made a bit ago) of the same un-modded modules before Voodoo. I have to check my notes but I think I had SED EL34S in it then or all JJ E34L's?

It will be about a week or 2 before they are done then off to Trace at Voodoo. I will post here after getting his input. Peace

I used the amp at rehearsal tonight and it definately cuts better and has a real tight bass response as well as more clarity and 3d like feel. I can feel good about the cost now. It sounds like the amp has more air and has some dull darkness lifted a bit too. Don't get me wrong, I dug the amp pre transformer / choke change but it really feels like the amp is comparable to other higher priced amps I have played before where it was almost there but no cigar before. I did notice that it seems like there is a tad less gain or maybe just more velocity / attack sensitivity. The lighter notes you pluck are almost clean but when you pick harder it has most all the distorted gain as before but with clarity of note and fullness even in wider chords using all strings. It really sounds better!

MYDEMISE said:
I did notice that it seems like there is a tad less gain or maybe just more velocity / attack sensitivity.

Keep in mind that the transformers have a 100 hour break in period. IE: As they break in they will get smoother and easier to play, some hear this as having more gain but it's really tied to the transformers breaking in.

All the best;
Trace

Trace, would the amp being on be included in the 100 hrs or does it actually have to be played? Just wondering if leaving it on during breaks at rehearsal would add to the break in period? Thanks

MYDEMISE said:
Trace, would the amp being on be included in the 100 hrs or does it actually have to be played? Just wondering if leaving it on during breaks at rehearsal would add to the break in period? Thanks

I wish simply leaving it on would work (wouldn't that be nice--lol) but you have to play on the amp or run a reamp'ed signal through it but you will need to have a speaker/load connected.

All the best;
Trace