Mid - High Gain Wars: Mr. Scary vs JCM800 vs KH-2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, no one has answered this!
I've only worked with the Mr. Scary (amazing 80's SLO, hard rock - metal; great mid range tone) and the KH-2 (way hotter, more bottom end).
I just don't know how the SL+ JCM800 compares to either of them....

That's all I really want to know.

I didn't have my sl stock for long as Pete moded it. For my application, sl feels alive and rich with Zakk quality on the 800 side, modern jcm2000 on the other. Stock Kh2 seemed more sinister with a scoopier tone, and surprisingly needs & loves a slight boost to get it going. EQ on both are versatile; you may find some tonal overlaps in the lower gain setiings

My SL+ was great, really had nice Marshall tone, but i felt way too thin. If I get one again, I'll defo get the mod.
thanks for the input!

I have a Dave Friedman modded SL+, and a KH2. The KH2 is thicker and meatier, slightly more harmonic content. The modded SL+ has more crunch to it, slightly thinner but tighter. Both are great

I really like my SL+, but haven't tried the others.

I have an XTC and 1086 module as well, and the SL+ is by far my favorite.

audioholic said:
I have a Dave Friedman modded SL+, and a KH2. The KH2 is thicker and meatier, slightly more harmonic content. The modded SL+ has more crunch to it, slightly thinner but tighter. Both are great
I noticed the thinness of the SL+ too, which is why I'm getting a new bass cap (hopefully with a switch to go between .0015 and .0022uF) to balance it out some. I like it alot though, great for 80-s thrash type stuff (think Kill 'em All and Peace Sells, not Master of Puppets), and even some modern metal (Children of Bodom, hands down the best module for them that I know of). Haven't tried the others (I want to though), so sorry I can't help.

BTW: Welcome, MatrixClaw :D

I too prefer the KH2 over the SL+.

Fatter and more articulate at the same time .... to my ears at least :wink:
KH2 is becoming one of my favorites.

These days i have Brahma, KH2 and my all time favortite XTC in my RM100 most of the time.

Claude

I know the KH-2 is derrived from the SL+, but how Marshally is the KH-2 vs. the SL+? I'm talkin' that upper-mid-crunch thing that Marshall is famous for.

Buriedorburned and I traded his SL+ for my KH2. The problem I had with the KH2 was that it was a too scooped in the mids to cut through well at gigs. Sounded great jamming on it at home though.

The SL+ has the Pete mods now and I have not had a gig with it yet, but I know that it will get me through the mix. It has everything you would expect from a high gain Marshall tone. KH2 does not have the midrange you would expect from a Marshall based mod.

I have no issues or wants with the mids on the KH2, very creamy to me. It has a bit more lower mids to lower frequency jive that can bring some mud on mutes and chugga chugga's if you don't watch the bass and density, up to high and its game over for clarity. It has some crunch to it, but not as much as a modded SL+, I would say it has the same amount of crunch to the stock SL+ I had.

Not sure if its totally marshally, or boogie, but something in the middle perhaps.