mod 50 vs rm50, any difference?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegyver

Reaction score
Is there a real tone difference? Or is it more of a build/quality issue that isn't audible? The reason I am asking is because i've heard some Randall clips that sound amazing and I don't know if I should sell my mod 50 :?

I'd think the voicing differences would be in the modules. I've played the different modules, but not heads. For what it's worth, if you open up an rm50, the main circuit board says MOD50...

You're right, though they might have followed that design philosophy in the poweramp also. I think the main difference lies in the transformers, though Randall swears there is no audible difference. Anyone have first hand experience with both (cough cough... Drew)?

I have never used the same module in both the RM50 and MOD50. So, I can't compare with 100% certainty. The one thing, that's completely in my head, is I feel more confident in an amp put together by experts in Michigan than I do in a mass produced Chinese amp - even if the same exact parts are being used.

I have a good deal of experience owning, working on, repairing and playing both. The tonal differences are minimal, if any. The build quality and assembly is really the same, as are the PCB's and most of the parts. The Egnater does use a different switching architecture. The transformers in the Egnater are better, but I don't feel there is much of an audible or feel difference after years of playing both. The Randall transformers really are fine, regardless of where they are made.

Where there is a significant difference is the ability to use a dual module and switch to both channels via footswitch. If that matters to you, there is only one option.

I have a definite memory fragment that says the Randall amps has a darker timbre and that they were intentionally made that way. I believe they lowered the resonant peak in their circuit a bit and a few years ago when I was rather active on here there were quite a bit of discussion in regards to that.