Mods i'd like to see...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gtr31 said:
again if your a metal player it may be what you require .but as ive found that Wall of sound that you hear on some recordings ,is actually very often less gain than you perceive .

+1

IMHO rock :evil: metal :evil: whatever ...is about attitude , not gain....it about how you play, how you play will dictate the sound you have ... i find my self dialing the gain back more often than not to get that monsterous heavy tone i've been after .... I abuse my treadplate mod on a constant basis and love the tone i can achive from it ... i've dialed in ZEP like tones in the low gain settings and dialed in 'tallica like tones in the 11- 1 o'clock area.... in the end it's all subjective anyway ... one things for sure though ....i sure do love these MTS gear :twisted:

The "Wall of Sound" you hear on most rock and metal recordings is due to multiple guitar tracks in the mix. Having two or three layers of guitar means the gain can be (and probably should be) lowered on each individual track. In a live situation one guitar (or two) has to fill the same space and the best way to do this is, you guessed it, more gain and compression.

IMO, most of the modules come close but don't quite have enough gain. I use a boost pedal (Tube Screamer, etc.) and it gets me where I want to be.

I'm really liking the tube boost on the RM20. I wish the other Egnater and Randall amps had a switchable tube boost.

It's probably not possible due to space and power issues but a three tube module would kill in the gain department. Of course adding a switchable tube boost to the amp would be easier and more or less accomplish the same thing.

i don't know guys, i'm a big gain type player and i will admit the mts modules are on the edge for gain thresholds. but that being said i would say that every module has just the right amount of gain , no more and no less than what is needed to do what they are supposed to do. imo the ultra has more than enough gain but at the same time the more gain you use the more compressed it gets but it also gets a little bassier with the more gain that gets added which is also an integral part of the sound so for me i go to about 3 0 clock on my ultra xl. the 1086 is actually one that i wish had more gain but again it is fine where it is at eventhough i use all the gain and the boost on that one. my modern has lots of gain as wel and to me it doesn't need anymore if anything it neesda better mids and highs. lastly the recto/grail. this module is truly a mesa at heart but it lacks the options that the real thing gets. it can sound just like the real thing at certain settings but it cannot do the all out fizz monster gainiac that the real triple recto can do but with a boost out front i think it out does the mesa and then some. honestly you can't put kt-88's in a mesa :twisted: . i didn't really go into the marshall based high gain modules because i 'm not into honky mids and i don't like that voicing too much, i have owned the mr. scary and sl+ and for me they aren't for what i do but gain wise they have plenty as well. of everything i mentioned the 1086 is the weakest on gain but to my ears sounds the best in an all brutality contest. it s just so beefy :wink:

I have to add to the last post. That 1086 is just a monster. I listen to all the old metal al day at work on Hair nation and when I really listen to the guitars, they really are not over the top distortion but how they are played makes it so **** cool. Listen to old Judas priest like breaking the law or Another thing coming or even WASP songs and it sounds so HEAVY but when picked apart its really not. Total attitude on the the song. Some of my bands best Jams have been at a Decent Distortion sound but played Aggressive and it comes across really heavy sounding. And we mostly play super heavy stuff but once in a while I like to roll back the distortion and do some old Aerosmith METAL STYLE! 8)

The quieter the actual sound, i.e. a miked acoustic, the louder it will sound in the mix. Why, dynamic range. A highly compressed signal, read highly distorted, compressed guitar does not have a lot of difference between loud and soft. I LOVE a singing, sustaining guitar. The sound is more in how the guitar is set up, especially, string height, and pickups. High strings, low pickups. Requires a LOT more effort to play, BUT, allows a much greater range of tone and volume variation just by altering your pick or finger attack on the strings. Problem with playing live venues is, when they utter the wretched phrase, "It's too loud!," what do we do? Down goes the master volume, up goes the gain, and it all sounds like a very high quality fuzz box. I love the MTS power amps because, at any given time, you're playing with 40-50 watts. You can put a barrier, like a clear plastic one, in front of the speaker so you can use power amp amp distortion, without killing the patron at the table in front of your amp, and still get the sound you want. I LOVE these amps! Pat L.