Mods Most Suited to Dual Channel Modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodgemo

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I'd ask the community...what mods would be most beneficial performed on a dual channel module over a single? I figured I'd toss this one out there before I start bugging the modders directly, haha. Any experiences / opinions welcome, thanks!

frodgemo said:
Hey everyone, just thought I'd ask the community...what mods would be most beneficial performed on a dual channel module over a single? I figured I'd toss this one out there before I start bugging the modders directly, haha. Any experiences / opinions welcome, thanks!

I'll have some in a couple months and I'll let you know. There are only a select few people on here that are qualified to answer that, along with the modders. I'd be interested in this as well, but I jumped in without looking. :D

Sounds great man, that's my standard approach to things! But yeah, please let me know how yours work out when you get a chance, thanks!

A couple that I've been thinking about (if feasible) were something like:

JF 59RR

CH 1 - JMP voiced w/ gain stage selection
CH 2 - JCM voiced w/ diode clipping switch

Salvation Stonerverb

CH 1 - Clean or maybe Raw side
CH 2 - Dirty w/ noise gate

Anyway, I have very little hands-on experience with most mods out there, so these are just some ideas I've been mulling around based on samples I've been listening to....

Rob had told me the 59RR can be done (edited: not sure if he can do what you're thinking). Anthony told me the Stonerverb could not be done. I do have a Rverb dual channel on order from Rob now. I hope this answers a little bit.

frodgemo said:
Sounds great man, that's my standard approach to things! But yeah, please let me know how yours work out when you get a chance, thanks!

A couple that I've been thinking about (if feasible) were something like:

JF 59RR

CH 1 - JMP voiced w/ gain stage selection
CH 2 - JCM voiced w/ diode clipping switch

Salvation Stonerverb

CH 1 - Clean or maybe Raw side
CH 2 - Dirty w/ noise gate

Anyway, I have very little hands-on experience with most mods out there, so these are just some ideas I've been mulling around based on samples I've been listening to....

Salvation Stonerverb uses atypical-dual gain pot, because original Orange Rockerverb uses it too. It gives that awesome wide gain range. Replacing it by common single potentiometer would be unacceptable compromise-it would not sound like real Rockerverb then.
Customers who purchased Stonerverb really appreciated it ( for example Jeff Schroeder of Smashing Pumpkins, who replaced his favourite Rockerverb amp by Salvation MTS Stonerverb module).

Unfortunately on Dual Egnater modules this special component cannot be used because if its size and switching options of dual modules.
This is reason why I cannot build Stonerverb into Dual module. It wiuld not sound and behave like real thing.

Anthony

I just got this :

460612_353828721330885_100001112794920_907656_258421117_o.jpg

And i want more modified dual modules now......

dual s1s0
dual ENGL
dual Camerock
dual Salvado
dual Mashall

etc

felineguitars said:
And i want more modified dual modules now......

dual s1s0
dual ENGL
dual Camerock
dual Salvado
dual Mashall

etc

:D I have all those on order now, good choices. :wink:

felineguitars - that thing is beautiful! are the switches universal, or do they tweak channels a and b separately?

drewiv - you truly are a maniac in the coolest possible way! I've been thinking about a dual scorch now that Jeff Hilligan is returning to the scene...and I've got plenty of ideas for others too, biggest unknown is what features can be made switchable per channel...

Very nice gents!

frodgemo said:
felineguitars - that thing is beautiful! are the switches universal, or do they tweak channels a and b separately?

drewiv - you truly are a maniac in the coolest possible way! I've been thinking about a dual scorch now that Jeff Hilligan is returning to the scene...and I've got plenty of ideas for others too, biggest unknown is what features can be made switchable per channel...

Very nice gents!

Talking to Anthony, I believe ALL switches are universal. He can do some pretty cool things between channels. We've been talking on the Angel doing Channel B with what would be the "Balls" switch activated as opposed to having the actual Balls switch. Mash-All and Salvado will have Crunch (A) and Overdrive (B), etc.

Yes, I'm crazy, but I will really cut down on module inventory with dual channels. I owned a ton of singles and found out which ones I truly love.

I like what Anthony has done herewith mine:

Overdrive & crunch on separate channels

Crunch type switch (800/hot-rod 800) - Crunch channel only
Overdrive gain boost switch (on/off) - Overdrive channel only

3 position bright switch & 3 position bass boost (normal for Egnater modules)

Marshall/Soldano voicing switch works for both channels.

The Marshall mode adds some low mids whilst the Soldano mode has less bass/low mid end giving a clearer drive voicing

felineguitars said:
Crunch type switch (800/hot-rod 800) - Crunch channel only
Overdrive gain boost switch (on/off) - Overdrive channel only

I like that a lot. I don't think I read well enough in you previous post.

salvation said:
Salvation Stonerverb uses atypical-dual gain pot, because original Orange Rockerverb uses it too. It gives that awesome wide gain range. Replacing it by common single potentiometer would be unacceptable compromise-it would not sound like real Rockerverb then.
Customers who purchased Stonerverb really appreciated it ( for example Jeff Schroeder of Smashing Pumpkins, who replaced his favourite Rockerverb amp by Salvation MTS Stonerverb module).

Unfortunately on Dual Egnater modules this special component cannot be used because if its size and switching options of dual modules.
This is reason why I cannot build Stonerverb into Dual module. It wiuld not sound and behave like real thing.

Anthony

Thanks for the explanation, Anthony. As soon as I got my Stonerverb, I could tell something unusual was going on with the design. For one thing, the pot clearly doesn't match the other ones. For another, the behavior of the gain sweep is totally unlike a simple scenario where a switchable resistor cuts out a certain amount of the gain. I was confused at first because at low gain settings, the dirty side actually sounds cleaner than the clean side. I had no idea which was which at first, so I was playing with the gain about 2/3 of the way up on the clean side, thinking it was the dirty side. I think "hm OK pretty cool, let's see what the clean side sounds like", hit the switch, and was overwhelmed by this big wash of gain. It was a pretty cool moment.