Module for JCM800

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tteotd

Reaction score
I'm looking to achieve a more raw Marshall JCM800ish tone. I have a SL+ but I consider them world's apart. I have a Maxon OD808 that I will be boosting with for a bit more gain. Anything else that will get me in that ballpark? Maybe modding the SL?

Check this out: http://grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-jcm800-modification.html

I haven't heard a stock SL+ because mine came with the JCM mod. I also A/B'd it with my MrScary and found that they can be dialed in extremely close to each other. The MrScary is slightly bigger and darker.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the kind words Steve. :)

tteod - you can mod your module to the JCM800 tone stack specs as listed on this thread and get a lot closer. A stock SL+ is scoopier and more modern sounding. My mods replace a lot of the internal components and add a switch so you can go back and from from 800 style tone to the modded SL+ mayhem.

Both tones are valid, and have their uses in my opinion... which is why I make em switchable! I can also gain it up a little bit. But even stock the SL+ is a sweet module.