module mod's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rectifier

Reaction score
looking at getting these 3 modules from someone...grail,ultraxl,and mr scary....does anybody have any of these that have been modded?.....and what to expect after modding compared to standard tone...

I have a Scary that Pete is working on now , I will let you know when I get it .
I got the warmth and clarity and Led swapped to blue

cool,,thanks... some say the mr.scary does not have the gain of the sl,, but i guess that can be changed via mod.

Dave Friedman modded Mr Scary adds a little gain and smooths/compresses the high end a little...very nice.

Grail - increased the bass cap (c3) to 0.001 (from 0.0005)...bit chunkier, I prefer it.

I think there's a difference on type/construction of cap used too...little disc (ceramics?) vs silver mica(seem to be 'dipped' and brown or red) vs orange drop etc.

I have always used Orange Drops for my c3 mods...but never really done a back to back comparison...it might have more effect in other tone stack components.

i heard some clips of the recto and it sounded like it had more gain than the grail...is that the case?...i know some prefer one or the other...

rectifier said:
i heard some clips of the recto and it sounded like it had more gain than the grail...is that the case?...i know some prefer one or the other...

Slighty more gain on the Stock Recto (due to lower R values of 150Ohm vs either 220/470Ohm in R1,R2 and R3?) but the Grail sounds clearer/better for it......

FYI:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5486