Module Newbie Seeks Advice

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrxplayer

Reaction score
So, I'm entering the world of modules, having paid for a new (used) RM50. The amp is one it way but being a gear ho I'm already planning.

Although I've never played a Randall (or any other like amp before), I have played (and loved) very good two channel amps, with the Carr Slant 6V being my favorite. I'm looking at this amp as a chance to perhaps duplicate that experience and more.

I play in a rock cover band and plan to use the amp for gigging. We play basic rock. I get into some gainy stuff (Slither being a good example) but don't cross the line into metal. On the other side, I like a good clean sound (Long Train Running) but don't plan on playing any Wes Montgomery.

The amp I bought comes with the stock Deluxe module. At a minimum, I'm looking to add a versatile "English" channel.

I may also seek out a blackface module later, depending on how "clean" the Deluxe turns out to be.

I'm not looking to buy a bunch of these and not looking at spending $200 per. My playing career doesn't warrant that kind of investment.

So...what do you all recommend I look for in the used market?

Thanks,

Evan the Module Newbie

:?

You are going to love this world.

Keep a look in the classifieds, I just sold a bunch of reasonably priced modules this weekend, with more to come. I still have some great deals left, but from your post, maybe a bit too high-priced. All kinds of deals in the classifieds. This is the place to buy, great forum with great people.

You're going to find the stock modules just aren't good enough. :lol: Seriously, have fun, it's great stuff.

wrxplayer said:
So, I'm entering the world of modules
Welcome! :)

I'm not looking to buy a bunch of these
Sure . . . that's what we all start off saying. We'll see what your attitude (and your inventory) is in a few months! :lol:

and not looking at spending $200 per
Then youll be wanting to look only at stock (un-modded) modules for now. Still plenty to choose from though . . . have fun!

the deluxe will get ya the fender and clean to od tones, for a brit flavor, might i recommend a plexi mod, can go from clean Jimi to Zep to AC/DC and beyond, will need to drive with a nice od for heavier stuff, but really versatile,
many on here also like the Brahma(plexi), SL+ (JCM800),

Mikal69 said:
many on here also like the Brahma(plexi), SL+ (JCM800),

ditto on both modules. I prefer the EQ of the Brahma over the Plexi. Brahma has a little different EQ and less gain. Still plenty though for classic rock to early 80's hard rock. A boost will get you into the mid late 80's rodded JCM800 gain area. SL+ = different EQ (JCM800) and more gain than the Plexi. This gets into the Soldano/boosted-rodded JCM800 gain.

By the way if you are a gear *****, then 2 will not be enough. You will want to try many of the stock & eventually probably even the modded modules.

The stock modules are fine. The SL+ is my favorite non signature gain module for Marshall tones. The Brahma and Mr. Scary are my favorite stock signature modules for Plexi to super hot rodded Marshall tones.

I really liked the stock Deluxe I had but if you need more clean headroom, I would suggest the KH1.

I rarely switch from one gain module to another when playing. I set them at about noon on the gain and if I need more, I hit a boost. For example, for your needs the Brahma with the gain at about 3:00 can cover all of your basic needs by rolling the volume knob on your guitar down for cleaner tones and full on for more dirt. Time for a lead? Hit a boost out front. The Mr. Scary with the gain at noon can cover the same ground but with a touch more gain and saturation.

I would recommend a 1086. It is a very versatale module. Great marshally goodness that has a wider EQ, IMO. I also recommend the Mr.Scary. It isnt a broad but has a great gain structure and I think it would also suit your demands of tone you are seeking.

Another newb checking in. Love this place already. Love the classifieds.)

I'm also a newb and had the same question. My SL+ is a bit much to get any kind of clean tone. And I put G.T. 12AT7's in my BLACKFACE for a super clean tone , so I won't be getting any type of crunch from that. I'm hoping to get a really nice clean, crunch, and lead tone from 1 module using only my RM20, the boost function, my Tube Screamer, and my volume knob. From what I've read so far, in several threads, it sounds like I'll need either the BRAHMA or PLEXI, right ? And P.S. , you folks are really helpful and knowledgeable and I really appreciate that everyone on these forums are so willing to share info that "other" ppl may want to keep secret. Thanks.