MTS 101

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
1. Buy an MTS amp
2. Get mods
3. Refine mods - (Learn about modded mods and you are on "the path")
4. Get mods
5. Refine mods
6. Say, "it's perfect."
7. Refine mods
8. Get mods
9. Decide you may be addicted.
10. Get mods - it was a too good a deal to pass up
11. Hear another amp and dig it
12. Commission a mod to sound like it
or
Buy said amp and sell off MTS - (leave pass usually lasts about a year)
13. Get mods
14. Get mods
15. Refine mods
16. Buy more MTS amps/gear to house mods
17. Get mods

There you have it....My research is complete...Wonder what's in the classifieds?

I still haven't decided which one to start with. I got my rm 50. Took it apart today to send the board with the pots to JF to have fitted with the correct "stuff". So I have some time till its ready to RAWK!

On the other hand, I ordered a kemper that should be here tomorrow. I couldn't decide whether to try MTS or the kemper so I went with both(don't tell my wife). But I seriously need a couple of mods to start with but I'm being really picky. I'm sure I'll make a decision soon... Then change! Lol.

Ed

I'm in limbo- sold all my modded mods, but have an empty rm100KH lying around haunting me. The undertow is powerful...

18. Go dual
19. Buy dual mods
20. Mod dual mods
21. Bankruptcy, Looney Bin...maybe both? :)

sounds about right. I think my last 5 or 6 mods were because they were too good a deal to pass up. I'm using the **** out of that SL-OD100, but the rest were potential mods. Just couldn't say no to a 1086 for $80 or a Modern for $50

VitaminG said:
sounds about right. I think my last 5 or 6 mods were because they were too good a deal to pass up. I'm using the s*&t out of that SL-OD100, but the rest were potential mods. Just couldn't say no to a 1086 r $80 or a Modern for $50

Ditto on the SL-OD100. **** good deals on those stockers.
I'm stuck between 17 & 18. :lol:

VitaminG said:
sounds about right. I think my last 5 or 6 mods were because they were too good a deal to pass up. I'm using the s*&t out of that SL-OD100, but the rest were potential mods. Just couldn't say no to a 1086 r $80 or a Modern for $50

Ditto on the SL-OD100. **** good deals on those stockers.

Hamner1 said:
I'm stuck between 17 & 18. :lol:

I will not sell off all this **** for dual mods....I will not switch to dual mods.....if I keep repeating it maybe I can resist the urge.

I respect the urge....I would like dualies of the handful of mods I use to the fullest - Salvado Dlx, Mashall+, Voxless ... But, other than that, I can live with one really good channel of the same amp...

I will be a dualie someday, don't get me wrong, just not yet today!

I will never get out of MTS!! I need more 1250's to hold all the mods. Time for some RM4's?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Personally, I think there is a reason there is so much MTS sell off. It is a fine sounding amp there is no question... but as reported by many, it does sound a little more anemic compared to the amps they replicate and a bit fizzy at higher gain settings. I def. stopped the tone chasing with MTS early on and have kept only my own module, friedman brahma, and judge.

^^ Therein lies my need for MTS and why I'm saying with it. I (and most I presume) can't go anywhere near paying for most of the amps they replicate. I'm not going dually either as I have what I need in singles, moddede and stock.

Matt- you forgot the step... sell off your MTS stash to fund a non-mts amp and then buy back your MTS stash after you realize the amp you bought simply doesn't compare.

lol Rossness you are going to be forever chasing your tail on tone.. haven't you owned just about every module and most production amps out there?! I think your problem is that you are chasing ALBUM tones.. production tones. This means you are chasing the production chain in addition to the amp. Impossible to do as those were tones captured in time by a set of engineers that are not easy to replicate. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, the hands are the common denominator. Good players make average gear sound bitchin... Most of us dial amps in a similar way because we like a certain EQ. I've listened to a lot of your clips. Some great sounding modules there (and not so great sounding) , you've already hit "tone" many times you just didn't know it! I'm not saying amps won't get close.. I am just saying playing a SLO will not give me Ratt tones 100% or Warren's tone 100% because i don't swing like he does or have his attack. Same goes for Lynch etc..

I would however be interested in how you feel your real Splawn stacks up to something like a JF quickmod when you get it though. From what I read and have heard about the amp, I have a bad feeling you are going to find it "Stiff". They are apparently not very forgiving amps.

Kapo_Polenton said:
lol Rossness you are going to be forever chasing your tail on tone.. haven't you owned just about every module and most production amps out there?! I think your problem is that you are chasing ALBUM tones.. production tones. This means you are chasing the production chain in addition to the amp. Impossible to do as those were tones captured in time by a set of engineers that are not easy to replicate. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, the hands are the common denominator. Good players make average gear sound bitchin... Most of us dial amps in a similar way because we like a certain EQ. I've listened to a lot of your clips. Some great sounding modules there (and not so great sounding) , you've already hit "tone" many times you just didn't know it! I'm not saying amps won't get close.. I am just saying playing a SLO will not give me Ratt tones 100% or Warren's tone 100% because i don't swing like he does or have his attack. Same goes for Lynch etc..

I would however be interested in how you feel your real Splawn stacks up to something like a JF quickmod when you get it though. From what I read and have heard about the amp, I have a bad feeling you are going to find it "Stiff". They are apparently not very forgiving amps.

Here's an old picture from my non-mts days-
165529_552673666055_5897359_n.jpg

I'm well aware how a QR plays and feels.

and if a Fryette/ VHT SigX, a and a Bogner Shiva had a lovechild, I think I'd finally find my tone. Fryette makes stiff amps as well.

JEsus, I just had an AMPorgasm... that's a solid line up right there. Why did you ditch the Splawn? Did you order another quickrod or go streetrod?

Kapo_Polenton said:
JEsus, I just had an AMPorgasm... that's a solid line up right there. Why did you ditch the Splawn? Did you order another quickrod or go streetrod?

The first QR I got was smashed in shipping, the second one came with a busted headshell. I glued it up as best as I could, but when I played it, even at low volumes, the ****** was LOUD- too loud. I think I shipped it off to Japan. Not wanting the headaches of both failing amps and actual headaches from it being too loud, I kind of lost touch with splawn. So Fast forward to now... I have the Quick Mod on order (an updated version, BTW) and if the volume tameable, maybe it'll work. I also want to shoot a quick video of it versus my Camerock.