MTS newbie - M4 questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In my new quest for amp tones (ditching the Line6 Vetta and probably the Mesa Lonestar - too mesa) I first came across the Randall line of modular amps and then later picked up on Egnater amps. I bought an RM50 used with the Blackface, Twin and 1086 modules. After further reading on this great forum I think I'm more of an Egnater kind of player (less of the aggressive attack tone and more the rounder/darker tone). So I picked up an RT2/50 and I'm looking for an M4 dual channel.

Having limited access to hearing Egnater beyond the sound clips on indoor storm, I checked out the Tourmaster series at a local guitar center. I was loving channels 1 & 2 and a bit of 3 but not so much chnl 4. I'm wondering which modules might come close to the tourmaster 1 & 2 channels? I'm thinking of just starting out with the M4 and two modules to save $ since I just kicked down for the randall amp and power amp (I have a feeling I'll ditch the randall and end up with a MOD50 and the M4). I'm a little concerned I'll get a case of GAS and want all the modules...

I would check out a Plexi, Brahma or KH2 and maybe a Top Boost. Sounds like your just looking for less aggressive distortion.

Thanks Ned,

Yes, I'm thinking of starting with the T/D module for cleans along with the VX module and when $ permits, add the SL module to get the marshall tones.

How do you like the digitech 1101? The one thing I would miss with the M4 rack approach is the spring reverb of a head to sweeten the sound. I was considering something like the 1101, TC electronics gmajor (or maybe my old Lexicon MPX100 in the meantime) in the effects loop.

thanks, looking forward to dialing in some new amp settings!

I would try those modules first before investing the dollars in the Egnater.

I love my GSP and right now it's the only thing I use, still trying to incorporate my RM4 into it though just need time to program some presets. Been busy programming lights lately and I'm waiting for some modules to come back from Pete.

ned said:
I would try those modules first before investing the dollars in the Egnater.

I love my GSP and right now it's the only thing I use, still trying to incorporate my RM4 into it though just need time to program some presets. Been busy programming lights lately and I'm waiting for some modules to come back from Pete.

FYI, modules are burning in and should be in your hands soon :)

Pete

Just encouraging him to try some of the lower gain Randall modules before he spends the huge bucks on the Eggie.

And yeah, the B channel on the VX is freaking incredible.

Yeah Ned, I appreciate the consideration on not blowing too much money in one direction. I actually want to have two amps at home and think that the Egnater will satisfy anything missing from the Randall RM50.

From the sound clips on Inside Storm I loved the sound of both the clean and gain channels of the VX - and I've never owned a Vox amp, so will love to have a go with this.

thanks for the input all.

To play devil's advocate, check out a few of the egnater modules if you can. I really love having two channels. At first I thought it wouldn't be that cool because of the shared EQ, but in practice I think it's great. Sometimes I use it just for different levels of gain, so I have a low gain and high gain of the same sound as opposed to choosing an intermediate. Other times I use them very differently, like in the vx, with channal a being clean and channel b being a great rock rhythm tone.

I haven't played the tourmaster to compare the sounds, but I like the cleans on my dlx module; vx is great for a chimey sound and a different sort of break up than the fender inspired ones.

Hi guys, new here, aspiring to add an RM4 to my setup soon, but I have a question first: (i think it fits in this topic)

Does the RM4 (or any MTS amp for that matter) work with 3 or less modules? (even one?)

And what would happen if you switched to the empty channel? (i'd guess mute or refuse to switch.. but just to be sure)

I'm asking because I don't have sufficiant funds to get the whole deal at once anytime soon;), and having 2 channels I could still enjoy the great sound etc. :)

Okay thanks man! That rocks :D

yeah I forgot for a minute that it switches throught the channels sequentially, so it's logical that it would just skip the empty ones actually.

1086 and Blackface here I come haha

In addition to this, if you have the RF4 4 button footswitch, you can select each channel directly. If you select an empty slot...no sound.