My ACDC tone,JTM45 clip

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job! If I can critique one thing, it would be that it sounds like you are playing with a lot of preamp gain. Open that bad boy up t get that more authentic JTM tone by pushin the power tubes and playing a little cleaner. This way the distortion really comes from hitting the strings harder. At the preamp level, a lot of these modules can sound similar...

Thanks for the comment.I play alot of metal so I suppose my ear is a little desensitized to the amount of gain I use.The gain level on the modual is set at 12o'clock but I forget what the toggles do,it's set in the middle position whatever that means.

I figured that might be the case.. what pickups do you have in there? I am assuming they are high output and that would definitely do it as well. If the gain is only at noon then that is a powerful pup! Either way though who cares, it is all about having fun.

One has zw emg's and the other has dimbuckers,so pretty hot pups.I'm not really trying to sound exactly like acdc but more how I percieve the tone to be....I guess.

All good! Def. the pups then. As you mentioned though, you are just going for the feel. I like it.

I made a patch for Back in Black with my SG Std and POD HD and it's almost dead on for the sound. I did both Malcolm's and Angus. A/B with the CD. I think I just need to add a touch of reverb for ambience. It was not an easy patch to make. Nor was it an easy clip. I think I had half The Gear Page trying to put up something better and all the comments about how difficult that little riff was. I had a mash track of Brian for the vocals just to throw people off. It was up and off on soundcloud in a hurry due to potential copyright issues.

I did one also with the Randall JTM module, and I actually like the sound of this better but it's not exact. It's a bit more mellow sounding.

To even get close to the AC/DC tone, you'll need to turn the gain down by at least 50%, then use a mahogany body guitar with an Alnico pickup.

As far as recording, you'll need a close mic and a room mic, like 6 foot back to capture the room ambiance. Reverb won't cut it because it was mic'd with two microphones.

Good luck!

walshinator666 said:
One has zw emg's and the other has dimbuckers,so pretty hot pups.I'm not really trying to sound exactly like acdc but more how I percieve the tone to be....I guess.

Guitars made from 1950-1980 feature great wood and low output pickups. You're not going to be able to get even close to that type of tone with a basswood shredder guitar and high output and/or low impedance pickups.

Back In Black was recorded with a 1977 50 watt, two input, master volume stock Marshall with Gibson and Gretsch guitars. To replicate that sound, you'll need a similar setup.

The Sacred Groove SGMK22 replicates that sound perfectly but you'll need the guitar to complete the circle.

Pretty much what I said.. less preamp gain, more master volume, diff pups... beat you to it MikeP. 8)

walshinator666 said:
Do you have a link, I for one would like to hear what you've got.

Here's a track that's similar to B&B. I didn't try to mix it like B&B but I went back and added a harmonizer to the snare and overheads, then brought them up in the mix, it'd be pretty close

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/76bird.mp3

Even that clip still had a bit too much saturation going on for the B and B sound IMO. Probably the JB in your axe? The AC DC sound has more note seperation and cut to my ears and I think it would be less preamp gain. Maybe i'll have a stab at it this weekend with my alnico II's and Brahma. I had the tone once with the alnico II's and a weber pleci clone i built. Had the master up about half way and ear plugs in but it was that tone. Was awesome.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Even that clip still had a bit too much saturation going on for the B and B sound IMO.

Yes, it did. It was one of my Les Paul's with a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge, which is definitely meatier and higher output than an SG.

But that said, I wasn't aiming for the AC/DC tone, just a good, classic 70's Marshall tone. With the right guitar and settings, it's definitely within reach.

Yes, that's the MK22. I could even closer to the AC/DC tone with this module using my LP Junior. Unfortunately, I haven't owned an SG since the early 80's. It's on the list. :D